How big an ecommerce opportunity is New Zealand

By Dan Wilson June 3, 2014 - 10:02 am

One of the big talking points of ecommerce 2014 is overseas trading and getting whatever action it is you want from selling to customers elsewhere on the planet. It’s a massive opportunity and also potentially mired with pitfalls.

And one article caught my eye on Channel Advisor, not least because it punted out an idea which I haven’t seen promoted elsewhere. What about selling in and to New Zealand?

And I was reminded that NZ is an interesting ecommerce anomaly in that it’s one of few places where eBay tried to compete at the beginning of the 21st Century but ended up getting beaten squarely by local start-up TradeMe.

Anyway, it’s good to see that TradeMe is still fighting the good fight down in NZ and in the CA article, the Kiwi opportunity for ecommerce sellers is explored. Well worth a quick read with a morning coffee.

• Mark

The CA integration is pretty seamless – another place to push the same inventory which we’re already stocking.

• tinker

there are more people in Scotland than NZ
    cant see this making anyone rich, other than tamebay for the plug

• DBL

There may be (less than 1 million) more peeps in Scotland but then they may have more of a choice of sellers to choose from than NZ

;-)

• tinker

could it be something to do with being a few thousand mile further away than scotland ?
      never mind the shipping cost

• DBL

Buyer pays shipping cost so who cares, they want it, they’ll pay it.

• tinker

and heres us thinking shipping was free to buyers these days lol

I am confused. Surely its not New Zealand instead of Scotland but New Zealand as well as Scotland. I must admit that I am happy to sell to anybody, anywhere. Its just that I do not get enough orders from anywhere.

• Alex

Many items are either unavailable or very expensive in NZ so even with shipping they are happy to order. We ofton sell to NZ but they frequently have some issue using eBay checkout – postage does not show so order won’t send. As a result most NZ orders are placed direct with us. I would estimate that our sales to NZ and Scotland are about the same but Australia is amuch bigger (huge) market for us.

• admiralhardinge

If you use rate tables for post then there is no issue for New Zealand customers using checkout.

I agree with you. There is a problem if you use standard ebay set up for postage. Shamefully, ebay have just 2 countries missing from their drop down country list – New Zealand and South Africa. Why? It should be such a simple thing to fix, and ebay have been told about this hundreds of times, and over many years. They have loads of countries on the list where sales must be minimal or non-existant for ebay, but don’t seem able to add 2 more important if small markets.

Together with the need for buyers to work in either GBP or AU$ it is hardly any wonder NZ doesn’t like ebay.

• Alex

Good responces to this thread and I think NZ is well worth some effort.

Another country missing from PayPal postage (it exists on eBay) is Bosnia & Hertzgovinai but they have no problems placing their occasional orders. Then, when I am using PayPal postage I take the payment from an off eBay sale, select Croatia and insert the Bosnian address. I then tippex out Croatia and write in Bosnia & Hertzgovinia with a pen). Seems a bit crazy that I have to do things that way but it does work.

On a different note, has anyone ever shipped Airmail to Sudan? :)

• James M

We have great sales to New Zealand. As has been pointed out above, the buyers selection is more limited and, like Australia, they are used to buying from overseas (and therefore paying higher delivery costs and waiting longer).

• tinker

my point is that for a business in the UK a special focus on the Northern isles Outer Hebrides or the Shetlands would be just as effective as NZ

The difference is if you already sell to the UK you already have a focus on the Northern Isles, Outer Hebrides and the Shetlands, whereas if you haven’t simply added shipping rates for New Zealand you have zero visibility there and doing so will give you visibility.

If you have a multichannel solution you can add selling to New Zealand pretty much at the click of a button.

I still cannot see why you cannot cope with both.

• tinker

of course we can cope with both we will ship to the moon with a viable and profitable option, selling and shipping to NZ could be a similar challenge, given its location and population

• Mark

Take a look further into it. NZ customers don’t have selection, and expect to pay for international shipping. They don’t like eBay though, most use TradeMe.

After our recent experiences with ebay perhaps they are very wise. Of course about the only equivalent to TradeMe in the UK is ebid. Perhaps we should be inviting TradeMe to set up a subsidiary in the UK.

• Mark

Selling to NZ on TradeMe.co.nz (providing you can set it up easily) is a great supplemental income.

Most people in NZ don’t like or want to use eBay, let alone an eBay site which is in a different currency (ebay.com.au). Almost 3/4 of the NZ population are actively using TradeMe.

TradeMe teamed with ChannelAdvisor to get more selection on their site. Because there isn’t much selection on there, its way easier to get your stuff seen that it is on eBay – and visibility is the biggest hurdle most sellers have to overcome.

People in NZ are very happy to wait for items to arrive, they’re used to waiting.

• chrissieboy

it appears you have to be a resident of NZ / Australia in order to have an account. Shame as it looks an interesting option. I will happily ship to NZ and get the very occasional sale through ebay, not as many as Oz though, i always blamed geographical sales but if most NZ prefer Trade Me then that must be a factor.

• Mark

Give them a shout, we’re based in the UK. If you can offer wide inventory they’ll listen.

• tinker

I wonder if UK sellers will now become as popular In NZ as Chinese sellers are here LOL

Only if the postage is comparable.