Free eBay UK auction listings for private sellers this weekend

By Dan Wilson April 5, 2014 - 3:33 am

Just had an alert in here and there are free listings this weekends for private sellers using auctions.

Read the details here.

It’s for the 5th and 6th April. The blurb says: “Create up to 100 listing(s) with a starting price of £1 or more in an eligible category during the promotion period using the auction-style format and you won’t pay an insertion fee for each listing during the promotion period.

Feature fees and final value fees will still apply. The number of listings eligible under this promotion may be less where seller restrictions apply.”

Another Free Listing Weekend. But has ebay been playing with its systems again. I tried to list a few new items. One long fight to get ebay to accept them. The biggest problem was in regard to the price. I would put in the price. It would come up on ebay as something usually totally different. So if I put in £19.00 it would come up as 1.00 or 9.00 or far more likely .00. Then just to make my day ebay then wiped everything I had put in and I had to start again.

Before I tried to list some items I checked on a couple of items I was bidding on. I had been outbid on both. So I tried to up my bid. ebay would not accept my bids(and I am not talking about massive bids) As an example one item was less than £2 and I wanted to up the bid to about £3 but still ebay would not accept the bid. Eventually it finally did accept the bid. But as usual I wonder if ordinary buyers might have just given up or decided to come back later. In my case the item ends in only a few hours and I have to go out in a few minutes.

• JD

And up to 50,000 BIN’s for UK Business Sellers 7-11th April as well.

Log in and invitation required.

• radroach

Private sellers are to get 20 free listings per month from May (including scheduling)

Will it mean the end of this type of offer?

20 per month is a lot less than they have become used to.

• radroach

Just noticed the “small print” where it says that the 100 free listings at 99p or less are to end. Also, after the first 20, it’s listing fees up and final value fees down.

During the Free Listing Days at the end of each listing just before you press the final button to list just above the line in the small print about retaining the format there is a new line and that is for Free Automatic Relists up to 3 times if the item has not sold. So while the instances of formal free listing weekends appear to be coming to an end there are still listings for free available.

Until now there has been 2 sorts of Free Listings for Private Sellers. Every Private Seller has been entitled to 100 @ 99p or less per month. These are available any day of the month starting on the 1st of the month.

Then there has been the 100 @ £1 or more each and every Free Listing Weekend or at the other designated days if your account is clean and you qualify.

So if the Free Listing Weekends are on their way out and the 100 @ 99p or less are on their way out then life is going to be changing significantly. Please remember the Automatic Relistings that I mention elsewhere are only if the item does not sell. If the Listings are for 10 days even the Free Automatic Relistings will soon run out. So we shall have to see what ebay is going to offer at the end of this period of significant change.

• Peter King

For as long as I can remember on tamebay there has always been two sorts of free listings.

Real private sellers who can list.

And business sellers like ‘Chris T’ who fraudulently list.

I for one would welcome the second type being removed from both tamebay and ebay.

Peter King says that I am a business seller who calls himself a Private Seller. Please Peter King tell everybody what your definition of a Business Seller is. Is it perhaps based upon Turnover? Number of Sales? Feedback? Number of Staff Employed? Does the business have its own premises?

Go on tell us all what your definition is. Cambridge_Blue a while ago attacked me because of the number of Feedbacks I have. The fact that many were from people and businesses that I had bought from did not mean anything to him or indeed the value many of those Feedbacks represented. Many were for 99p items with another large number for under £5 value. Didn’t matter to Cambridge_Blue as far as he was concerned a lot of people being happy with the experience either buying from me or selling to me automatically meant that I had to be a Business Seller.

But go on give us all the benefit of your great Knowledge and Experience and tell us all your definition of a Business Seller as against a Private Seller.

• Tony

Radroach : Where did you see that? I can’t find a reference to either of your observations – would like to see what they actually said

It says in the fine print:
      “We will continue to run regular listing promotions so if you think you’re going to exceed your listing allowance in a particular month, look out for these.

So hopefully there is a confirmation that there will be at least one free listing weekend per month!

• Gary

Private seller future free listing weekends will now save £35 for 100 listings. Can’t see ebay being this generous so pondering over the ebay strategy behind this move and its impact on business sellers.

Maybe they want private sellers to open shops and increase their predicable income stream?

In fact it could be up to 3 x the £35. The new line about relisting up to 3 x if an item does not sell has only recently appeared. Can I take it therefore that it will continue after May 13th. In which case excluding those items that sell the others will continue to be relisted…for Free each time??