eBay UK Click & Collect – How it works for buyers

By Dan Wilson April 16, 2014 - 1:19 am

This is a guest post from George Kinghorn. He’s a Tamebay reader and the founder and head consultant at www.Bayacademy.co.uk. Bayacademy provide on-demand eBay consultancy and training for clients UK wide using the convenience and speed of their webinar and online training systems.

cc0I was on the eBay site the other day and a banner promoting Click and Collect appeared so I decided to purchase something to see how it worked.

For those of you that don’t know, eBay has partnered with Argos to allow sellers to offer buyers the option to collect items from selected Argos Stores. eBay have been running a trial with selected sellers since late 2013.

So having been attracted by the banner, I found a range of goods available for me to collect. This page can currently be found by clicking the Deals & Special offers link on the eBay home page.

Among the deals I found a set of screwdrivers that I fancied so I clicked on the listing. Everything looked the same as it normally does but there was an additional Click & Collect field that allowed me to select a store to collect the screwdrivers from.

CC 1

This feature then gave me the ability to locate and select the best Argos store to collect it from.

Note this doesn’t just default to the nearest store. This could be handy if your travelling and want items sent to where you are, I’ve personally had to have stuff delivered to holiday park receptions and the like so this could come in handy in the future.

cc2

Once I’d selected the Argos store that I wanted to collect from I carried on with Check out as usual. The check out process confirmed which store I had selected.

cc3

Immediately after paying I was then able to input my mobile number to receive a text notification of when my item was ready to collect. I made my purchase on a Monday at 12 noon and received my notification text on the Wednesday at 14.29 – pretty swift I’d say.

cc4

cc5
Subsequently I checked my email which told me that I needed to go to the store and told me the opening times 9-8 Mon to Fri 9-6 Sat and 10-4.30 Sun. So there was a good window of opportunity. It didn’t however tell me how long I had to go get it. I believe buyers have 7 days to collect purchases before they are sent back.

When I got to my selected Argos I found a dedicated collection point and was told by the enthusiastic staff I didn’t need to wait at the tills (this wasn’t pointed out in the emails).
cc6
My Item was quickly retrieved and I had a great chat with the guy in the store who told me that eBay collections are steadily increasing and only a couple of days before they had a “rush” when 2 people came in at the same time. He told me he liked it as it brought people who don’t normally use Argos into the store but he hadn’t noticed them purchasing extra items whilst collecting just yet.

He then surprised me by not only asking for my item number and PIN but also for some ID. Luckily I carry my photo driving licence so this wasn’t a problem but I had never been told I needed ID at any point in the transaction. So all in all a pretty easy experience with only a couple of bugs, which I’m sure will get ironed out in time.

• Peter King

Thanks for an interesting case study from the customers viewpoint.

“He then surprised me by not only asking for my item number and PIN but also for some ID. Luckily I carry my photo driving licence so this wasn’t a problem but I had never been told I needed ID at any point in the transaction. ”

Thats the point i would have told em to F’off and walked out.

Or rather gone to the tills and bought the item from argos with no id 🙂 then opened a non delivery case.

They ask you for ID when you collect a parcel from the Royal Mail depot.

It also sounds like good protection for sellers from buyer fraud?

Not onerous in this day and age.

• Peter King

I can’t see how this scheme can last, its just costing argos money, from storage to you taking up a sales assistant’s time. As a catalog store they don’t even benefit from extra footfall.

Compare this to the excellent Amazon lockers in supermarkets. No extra effort for the stores, plus footfall that will actually buy things.

It’s just another reason to buy/sell with Amazon.

• stuart

I have to disagree with this.

Firstly the stores with Amazon lockers in have to waste space to hold them, they maybe getting some rent from Amazon but the main point is to get footfall in to their stores as every foot could be a customer.

With regards to Argos, this could be a big money making opportunity for them and I think more big chains with large footfall will offer this type of idea in the future.

Argos want and need every customer they can to come in to their store, if they didn’t they would have a very small hatch were customers could collect their goods order from their catalogue or online. They have a well set out store so people buy more and some customers that collect ebay goods their may well buy while in store or buy from argos and collect at the same time, even if it’s only 1% it’s 1% more customers than they had before, even if they break even on the ebay click and collect.

As far as I can see Argos are a business too. If it wasn’t working out, they could have ditched the programme. I suspect it is a good deal for Argos on many levels.

• mw

They most likely take the looooooooong view!

• northumbrian

they can trolly out statistics as much as they like the success of ebay and e commerce is down to click and deliver ,if i wanted to collect anything there are thousands of shops already out there

You are right. But outside the wilds of the North East post Bede things have changed. It’s a mixed economy now. Home delivery, click and collect, collect and click, pigeon, good old fashioned shops.

And what works for some, doesn’t work for others. But this Click and Collect thing is really moving stuff for folks who enjoy electricity, gay marriage and female suffrage

Oh. And I’m sorry to note this. Pass the word to fellow Northumbrians. King Alfred is dead.

• northumbrian

yeah we went to his funeral and click and collect works but ebays version of limiting yourself to one store and a select group is just not viable

• northumbrian

funnily enough we do quite a lot of click and collect many buyers collect from our B&M premises
      we sell about 50k a month on ebay we would quite like the click and collect icon too though collect from us, not from argos

• fusion

Every other C&C seems to have problems with the buyer always expecting to collect the next day. Also there are problems with UPS not collecting from us. I’m not sure it gives buyers an estimate for this?

Once they start charging sellers for this, I’ll be off. The time and effort just to produce the C&C is not worth it

• jobsworth

how much did you pay for parking?

• JD

This could fall as a victim of success.
    Imagine all the Argos stores with hundreds more eBay C&C customers than buyers for their own stuff?

Ah hang on! ‘eBay to buy Argos’?

They may not buy at the time they are picking up their ebay c & c items. But what percentage pick up an Argos Catalogue? Take it home and then browse through it and now that they know where the nearest or most convenient Argos is, decide to buy. So Argos have a new customer, maybe even one who goes on to be a regular Argos Customer.

• Steve

My wife found the ebay click and collect promotion frustrating – no local stores to collect from. However , the click and collect concept was definately something she latched on to , and explored other options, finally finding Tesco Direct deliver to our local Tesco Express, next day if ordered before 3. So another potential ebay buyer has migrated and Tesco have so far won 3 orders and more to come as my wife is inspired by the experience and fast service that Tesco offer.

It was a test with only 50 stores to collect with. It’s expanding.

We’ll see how that develops.

• jimbo

I noticed that if you buy “click & collect” from “argos” on ebay, it says you must return the item to store if you need to return. Does click and collect negate the Distance Selling Regulations?