eBay UK enhances defect reports for sellers and ends anonymous DSRs

By Dan Wilson March 24, 2014 - 6:02 pm

In an annoucement today, eBay have announced several significant changes to how defects related to the new seller standards are reported. It has also notably announced that DSRs (detailed seller ratings) will not longer be anonymous.

You can find the full announcement here.

It says: “We’re pleased to announce you’ll soon be able to run weekly detailed reports on your transactions to help you prepare for the new approach to seller standards on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie coming with the August 20 seller evaluation. These reports will show which of your transactions have defects, and the specific defects associated with each transaction.

Starting the week of April 16, you’ll be able to see which transactions have:

· Returns initiated for a reason that the item was not as described
· eBay Money Back Guarantee cases opened for item not as described or item not received
· Seller-cancelled transactions, and negative or neutral feedback”

Greater openness on seller performance is clearly welcome. But it is the changes to DSRs that will be of greater interested to sellers.

The announcement notes: “Starting in late April, the detailed rating system will no longer be anonymous, and you’ll also be able to see which transactions have low detailed seller ratings for item description and dispatch time.”

Do these changes give you greater confidence in the new eBay seller standards announced a few weeks ago?

• Tony C

For the DSR openness, it’s about bloody time. What was ever the point of anonymous criticism for which no improvement was ever going to be possible, since we were never told what was wrong. This change should have been made years ago, when we told them how stupid anonymous DSRs were. So now they make it look as if it’s their excellent idea!

• Alex

DSR transparancy is long overdue.

This now leaves just three main problems:

1) Forthcoming managed returns and Defect system. Well thats an easy one to fix – just scrap the idea!

2) Final Value Fees on shipping. This is grossely unfair and is personally costing me an extra £100 each month. Shipping should not attract FVF’s. eBay did this because they realised it would significantly increase profits. Notice it was quietly slipped in last August? Managed Returns start in August. Is this a coincidence? Hardly anyone complained at the time. Again its easy to fix – simply go back to the old system.

3) eBay Rules and Policy, and Customer Service ability to administer them correctly. This is ofton at the root of seller issues as CS are badly trained, rarely fully understand the Rules or Policy, most reps have never actually sold anything (I always ask) so have a typicaly ignorant “buyer perception” of selling on eBay, and to top it all, CS staff frequently contradict each other in their understanding and adminstration Rules & Policy. Dublin tends to be more helpful than the Phillipines, who you speak to and the time you call can make a difference (I could give you a list of several CS reps in Dublin who I hang up on immediately if they answer – some of you will know who I mean), the experience of the individual CS rep as some are proactive and make decisions, others refer the matter to a manager, etc…

It is crazy that there can be so much inconsistancy in the administration of Rules and Policy. Training must be improved.

• David Brackin

I wonder if they will increase the size of the BBL to accommodate the new entrants…

• Dan

bring back 2 way basic feedback as a minimum – that way we as sellers can tell other sellers that buyers didnt pay etc.

or somesort of buyer DSR – eg “paid promptly” metric, quick payer – 5 stars, non payer or slow payer 1 star.

and probably other metrics to rate buyers on too, but that one sticks out to me!

• Lynne

Dropping the anonymous Dsr’s is good news , I agree with Tony C you can’t make improvements if you have no idea what the problem was in the first place.

• admiralhardinge

DSR move is good. As others have commented it was useless anonymously. Any Quality professional or experienced business person could tell you that, so rather amazing ebay made it anonymous in the first place. Just supports my view that ebay staff are not qualified to properly design the processes they operate – hence the constant problems.

But affect my confidence in the changes? No way. Until ebay change the basic definition of a defect my confidence will not change. It is against any ethical business principle to allocate a defect to a seller when a seller has done nothing wrong, and it is the buyer at fault or there has been no fault on either side – I previously gave a list of examples of this.

As it stands sellers will be guilty until proven innocent. Sorry, but I thought civilised society had left these medieval approaches behind centuries ago.

• Gary

Agree that there are a lot of “cases” that are closed by buyer because seller has done nothing wrong and buyer has made mistake or used case system inadvertantly. These in future count as seller defects. I can’t work out why a seller is marked with a defect if a buyer closes a case?

For example there have been an instance in the past year when a buyer has opened a case to get a message to me because I have been on holiday and message system auto response has been set. Nothing at all to do with any item. This now counts as a defect!

ebay need to make it clear to buyers that missuse of the case system will result in buyer penalties.

• Chris L

Gary here was the message from Ebay today. So case opened and closed without any issues or any interaction from Ebay will now be a defect!!! (Do the people who think up these rules ever sell on Ebay (or even buy on ebay ) themselves?????

See below:
      Hi Christian,
      Lauren here from eBay Customer Support. We spoke earlier today about the new defect system and I advised I would get some clarification on one of the points you raised.
      I asked : Will an Item Not Received case with tracking that a buyer closes because they are satisfied the item has arrived… Count against the member?
      Please be advised our Support Specialist has advised of the following :
      Yes, it will still count. If the seller really wants they could escalate the case after the 8 days and if it was found as no seller fault then the case would be descored. If a case is opened and closed without being escalated this will always count as a defect.
      As promised on the call I will pass on the feedback in relation to how you feel about the above issue.
      Many Thanks,
      Lauren
      eBay Customer Support

• paddy

Could this be a step towards scrapping the current feedback system and just having DRSs instead?

• Dan

ssssh! dont give them MORE bad ideas!

• Steve

There is now a buyer update:
    Update to feedback will help us deliver the great service you expect***

24 March, 2014 | 04:10PM GMT

Hello,

Feedback is key to keeping eBay a trusted marketplace and a great place to buy. When you make a purchase, and then rate your experience in the areas of communication, dispatch time, postage, and item description, you’re helping your seller and eBay ensure your ongoing satisfaction.

While the current system of anonymous ratings provides sellers a general indication about their service, they need details to address any issues effectively. For example, if a seller’s ratings indicate their items take too long to arrive, it will help them take the right action if they know the issue is with posting to a specific geographical region.

Sellers will soon be able to get reports that provide this kind of detailed information. Starting in late April, detailed seller ratings will no longer be anonymous. Sellers will be able to run reports telling them which of their transactions received low detailed seller ratings.

With this change, sellers will be able to make much better use of the ratings to continually refine their selling practices – and deliver the great service you expect. So please continue to leave ratings and feedback that honestly and fairly reflect your buying experience.

Regards

The eBay Team

• Tony C

Thanks for that. Interesting how they word it, because this is what good sellers have been telling them all along!

• northumbrian

So what!
    they have simply taken the blindfold off so you can see the firing squad, your still being shot

• Danny

We’ll be shot at less when they know that we know who shot us. (Make sense?!)

• northumbrian

not if by leaving a 3 they think it is a blank thats loaded

• mw

Whilst this is a welcome change, I can’t help but think it’s part of ebay’s distraction technique to get thoughts away from Managed Returns nightmares!

• Simon Everett

The feedback is farcical and of course so 1 sided.
    I lost count of the number of customers that have told me “Oh you can trust me cos I have 100% positive”

I have yet to summon the courage to respond with ” well that’s because you can’t receive negative unless you are a seller”

I wish EBAY would look at some points that appear blindingly obvious to me:-
    1) Change the item number to something like ASINS and then have feedback on the product.
    I can see the feedback of a company but it doesn’t tell me easily, the items that may have received negative , especially if the seller has that stupid PRIVATE on.

2) Changing a title once one item is sold. If it’s a BUY IT NOW, let me change it”. I can understand with auctions but for god’s sake, restrict it to auctions only.

3) ohh I’m flustered now…..B-)

• an ebay seller

does anyone know if this new announcement affects “item not arrived” cases that are closed successfully and amicably continuing to be defects?

this is an area which is seriously out of the control of sellers, as buyers are often blindly channeled into opening a case (or ,for various reasons, stupidly do it themselves when one is not justified )

this is the area of most concern to me and doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the announcement.

• an ebay seller - again

having looked at the announcement again it tells us:

“Starting the week of April 16, you’ll be able to see which transactions have:

· Returns initiated for a reason that the item was not as described

· Seller-cancelled transactions, and negative or neutral feedback”

but i get to see all this already,

if a case for NAD or INR is opened , you know already get to know the transaction,

and i think you get to see it if it’s just a return request for NAD instead of a case -( as both will count as a defect there’s no real distinction anymore anyway!)

seller cancelled transactions – this is one well be aware of – because we instigated it !

neg or neutral feedback – this already shows!

it looks like all this is really giving us is this :

“Starting in late April, the detailed rating system will no longer be anonymous, and you’ll also be able to see which transactions have low detailed seller ratings for item description and dispatch time”

have i missed something ?

• Gary

Interesting point here is that you can fully or partially refund a payment but if you don’t request a fee refund and no case is opened then there is no defect recorded. As long as ebay keep their FVF they are happy.

• Tony C

Now that *is* interesting. And unsurprising, too ;)

• Dan Jackson

Is that really the case? I sell hair extensions and it is a high return business because customers get the wrong colour or just change their mind. I refund lots of customers and claim my fees back so does every instance of that cause a defect mark?

• Gary

Every seller case opened to refund fees results in a defect mark. Do not request a fee refund and no defect mark.

• Dan Jackson

• Gary

“A ‘seller-cancelled transaction’ is:

•Any transaction cancelled by eBay or refunded through PayPal because the seller no longer has the item (such as in the case of an item out of stock), or
      •A transaction where the seller has chosen not to post the item after it’s been sold.”

This is what ebay say.

What ebay do not say is how you (a seller) can claim a FVF refund for a return without registering a defect?

Now remember if a seller pays for the return it is registered as a defect. If a buyer pays for a return it is not. What percentage of buyers are going to claim it is a remorse purchase and pay for the return?

And then we have ebay compulsory managed returns with the ebay price structure and input in all this to contend with

Answers on a postcard for any solutions to………

• rosie

If this defect thing starts 20th Aug will they use the previous 12 month to start us off or do we start from scratch on 1st July raady for 20th Aug evaluation?
    Any one know please.

• Rich

At last I will be able to see what it is I need to correct! And report any that I feel are unjustified.

• an ebay seller -

buyer initiated returns will not count as defect,

but that’s a case where buyer pays for return (IF specified by the seller – you can specify that seller pays both ways if you like).

on buyer opened returns you should be able to claim FVF back – for a simple remorse return etc.

the temptation for buyer to claim it’s not as described is high (especially when the managed returns come in – IF the managed returns slam the buyer with an excessive enforced postage amount)

– “but they’ll have to justify that not-as-described”. you can escalate if you feel foul play is at work, but if it goes against you it’s not good.

might reduce returns with honest buyers, might encourage fraudulent returns with dis-honest ones.

no retroactive look into anything before may 14 will count in this new regime, don’t worry about your past feedback

———– this is the way i’ve read it.

• ebay seller

buyer opened returns should default the FVF to you once completed i’d have thought.

seller can open cancellation as they do now, but the reason is critical (don’t “click run out of stock” or “sold to another buyer”), if ti’s one that shows the buyer initiated the return – then not a defect

“other” – with an ambiguous reason typed in the box, is one i bet they’ll see a lot more of.

• Rob

ebid

• cackonmyleg

Ebid. Now if those guys can get their API coding act together and integrate with the multi channel inventory software companies we would be on there in a shot, as would every other ebay seller looking for a new avenue.

The problem with E-bid is they are not helping themselves. With integration I could offer my exact same inventory on there as on ebay and would sell it cheaper too to bring traffic.

So maybe people need to start badgering Ebid about this as until I can automate my stock, orders and payments with them my hands are tied.

Id love nothing more than ebid to take a massive bite out of the neck of ebay who appear now to exist through the slackness and tardiness of others, rather than by being “the best” or most lucrative platform. Certainly when their top sellers frankly hate their guts, ebay should be looking over their shoulder not sitting arrogantly as they are.

• Dan

totally agree!

• Cambridge_Blue

Sorry to say we don’t hold out much hope for ebid unfortunately given their performance to date and current managment team and business strategy.
      Just wish somebody would take this business over and give it the supercharged kick up the rear it needs to be a credible competitor to eBay.

• Chris L

Today after talking to Ebay for a long time on the phone, I got this reply (see below)

As we all know, many buyers just open a “case” to ask where their item is instead of emailing us directly.
    Now for every case opened, we will get a “defect” even though tracking is uploaded.

Can Tabebay push on to Ebay how unfair this is?
    I have had 6 “cases” about item not received, most of the items were already at the Post Office awaiting collection.
    I have NO bad DSRs in any area for the last 12 months, 100% feedback and ebay calculate that with the new standards I will not make Top Rated!!!!

This is just due to opened (and then closed cases by the buyer when they realize that they were not at home and were not notified by Royal Mail to collect their item)

Why should merely opened cases without any problems, with no ebay resolution, then be counted as a defect.
    I feel now that it is better in future. to escalate each case to Ebay, as they will see tracking and then close the case. If the case is closed by Ebay in our favour, we do not get a defect.

Please see below:
    (original message)

Hi Christian,
    Please be advised our Support Specialist has advised of the following :
    Many Thanks,
    Lauren
    eBay Customer Support

• mw

Speechless!

• Kate

This is exactly what I am worried about. We are right on the border with the new defect rate (1.9%) and almost all of these are due to buyers opening a case to find out where an item is which they then receive so then close the case or if it has been lost in the post we issue a refund or send a replacement and everyone is happy. The rest of our defect rate seems to be caused be me opening cases to get FVF refunds and selecting option “buyer purchased by mistake or changed mind”.

I don’t see why we should be punished for good custmer service or trying to claim back money that is rightfully ours.

Ebay really needs to make some amendment to this policy before it comes into place.

• northumbrian

we have just had one gormless pillock
    ask where an item is 4 weeks after it should have arrived,
    royalmail don’t leave a card or have never attempted delivery ,plus the buyer has not the wit to enquire before it goes into royalmails return blackhole [auctioned in Belfast ]
    yet were deemed defective by ebay

• Jason Cooke

eBay are over complicating again by adding data upon data. However DSR can’t ever account for life’s flux. Buying and selling is simple, but eBay wish to change this for their control. DSR is pathetic and needs scrapping. My thoughts!