eBay UK free 5 day auction listings on 11th Feb

By Dan Wilson February 10, 2014 - 4:11 pm

There haven’t been as many listing promotions lately as we’ve come to expect. And eBay is certainly experiemnting with how they are publicised: I don’t seem to have had an email about one all year so far. So I’m extremly grateful for tip-offs if you see notice of a pricing promo and we haven’t noted it on here, give us a shout.

This promo is for five auction-style listing made on the 11th February by private sellers. The eBay blurb says: Create up to 100 listing(s) with a starting price of £1 or more in an eligible category during the promotion period using the auction-style format and you won’t pay an insertion fee for each listing during the promotion period.

Feature fees and final value fees will still apply. The number of listings eligible under this promotion may be less where seller restrictions apply.”

Full terms and conditions apply and can be found here.

• Gary

I guess to stop sellers churning over the same unsold listings from one free listing weekend to the next ebay appear to be sending out targeted promotions now. So the end of the regular “free for all privates” listing weekend may be nigh.

No longer will you be able to list the same item for free for ever. If it does not sell first time you list for free then tough, next time you pay!

• Gary

On the subject of messages from ebay I seem to be getting many more of these now than I used to. I personally feel that ebay are overdoing it a bit with this direct email marketing and regular targeted emails about free listing offers probably increase this perception that ebay are starting to enter into an area where I would classify their regular messages as spam. Once or twice a week maybe but not daily or more than once a day.

• Warren

I have been actively looking for any ebay promotions every day on the announcements page where they usually appear and they have announced none at all this year.. It’s really been hurting me as I work freelance and use eBay to sell unusual vintage items – right now I have no work – I would usually sell around £900 a month thanks to the free listing weekends – since they’ve stopped I’m not listing items that are of low value or are of limited interest as it costs so much to list items – so i’m only selling aroung £100 a month – yes sometimes I list items several times before they sell.. But my stuff always eventually does sell and I dont see that as being bad.. Anyway it would be good for me if they re-introduced them – I would have thought eBay UK would have been happy to collect all those final fees. I note the US site is still having lots of offers.. Any news of hidden promotions would be massively appreciated.. Warren..

The point that Warren was making is the same point that I was making although Warren probably made it better than I did. ebay have changed the way that they Announce Free Listings and how they record them for posterity. Warren has continued to look for the announcements as they used to be announced and he has missed the 2014 version of the announcement. So if you know Warren or indeed you are Warren this weekend is a Free Listing Weekend (15/16th February). If you know Warren please bring it to his attention.

I am confused. Since the start of 2014 I am certain that there has been just as many ‘Free Listing’ Days as I would have expected. The problem is that they are no longer shown in the ‘Calendar’ under News.

I have not made a note of them but I think that there has been 2 x Free Listing Weekends and 2 x Midweek Free Listing Days. Which given that we are only in the middle of February is just about where I would have expected us to be.

The problem will be that if somebody does not keep a diary of when they were we are going to get on through the year and be totally confused.

I’m sorry that this has been a problem for you Chris.

When it comes to cheap days and promos, we don’t get special tip offs from eBay. We either get a mail ourselves to our account or someone tips us off. If we don’t know the event is on, we can’t report it.

So if you hear of a promo, and it seems that you have, how about helping us all out and solve the problem you have identified by letting us know!

That would at least make up a little for your general grumbling!

I don’t think that it has been a problem for me. I go onto ebay just about every day, 7 days a week, and while I am there I keep my eyes open. So if I see anything that looks as if it might be a Free Listing I give it a closer look.

The easiest and simplest way of checking it out is to try to relist something. If at the end of it it shows a Nil Listing Charge then it is confirmed that it is a Free Listing. Obviously if it kicks in a Listing Charge then it is not.

The latest was a Free Listing for 5 day Auctions. So obviously I had to change all the listings from 10 days to 5 days but not a major problem. But it was still a Free Listing and whats more a Mid Week Free Listing.

What is confusing me is that up until the end of 2013 the Free Listings were listed in the Calendar under News. The last to be so listed was the one that spread over the New Year period. Since then none have appeared under News and I must admit I wonder why.

After all in previous years it has been possible to check back and see when they were. In 2014 it will not be possible in say October to look back over the year and pick up all the Free Listings from the calendar under News. Why? What does it benefit ebay or indeed anybody else for the information not to be there?

• northumbrian

there is no point in allowing comments if you cant grumble
      lol

• Gary

I’m going to grumble. How silly does it sound for somebody to say that they turnover £1000 a month when listing free but only £100 when they have to pay to list, when for £20 a month they can list 200 items for a whole 30 days for free and then only pay 10p to list further items beyond 200 for a whole 30 days!

I’m grumbling at silly people who rely on free listings for their sales model and then moan about their sales model failure here!

Lord Sugar would only have 2 words to say!

There ios a trend these days for ‘Experts’ who know little or nothing about the subject to launch attacks here, there and everywhere on others. Prince Charles was doing it recently with anybody who did not agree with his idea of ‘Climate Change’ and ‘Gary’ is doing it with anybody who does not operate as he does.

I am very sorry for ‘Gary’. He is certain that in everything that he is right in all circumstances. In reality he might be right in some circumstances but not in others. Or even he could be totally self deluded.

I know how I operate. It might not be the best way but it works for me. Could it be improved on? Perhaps. But it works for me and I am happy. The ways that others work such as Warren work for them. Again it might not be the best way and it is possible that some would like the benefit of ‘Gary’ and his expertise. But it is equally true that like me I am quite frankly bored with being told by ‘Experts’ that I could improve my efficiency marginally if I was to do x, y and z. I am not interested. I am happy as I am.

• northumbrian

free listings exist for ebays benefit
      simples
      in fact unless it benefits ebay nothing exists lol

• Gary

It is expensive to list? It is either 5p or 15p.

Remember that the volume available and choice for buyers is significantly higher at the end of the 10 day free listing cycle so money is spread more thinly leading to lower prices.

If you want the best prices for stuff avoid free listing days and pay the 5p or 15p. Your stuff may then actually sell first time.

• Bob

It depends on the starting price and the category – I’ve had things in the computing section command a listing fee of £1, and you don’t always want to get around this by putting a reserve price or starting it too low and risking not getting a good return.

• Gary

If you are selling £900 a month are you a business?

Why not open a store for £20 a month and list 200 items for free?

If you have £900 of sales then surely you are missing out by not having a store and relying on the non existent free listing weekends.

And if you become a premium seller your fees drop more than making up for listing fees. Basically.being a cheapskate is a false economy but carry on with your business model it is clearly working!

As per earlier posting. I have today logged on to check a few items and its flashing at me again. Its a Free Listing Weekend 15 & 16 th February. So I have tried to relist a couple of items on 10 days(as the midweek Free Listing Day was for 5 day listings) and it has taken my 10 day listings. So it is obviously a fairly standard weekend free listing for 10 day auctions. So if you have 100 items to list or relist this is the weekend to get listing. However as I pointed out previously it does not appear under News. So once again it is not going to be in the Calendar.

• Gary

My ebay sales stats for the last 90 days – auctions = 34% of sales and BIN store items = 66% of sales.

Anybody who relies on auction only free listings are missing out BIG time on a big chunk of buyers on ebay. Only 34% of ebays buyers bother with auctions. I don’t mind though more for me! :-)

• northumbrian

were 100%auction only ,and were very happy, we dont give a bugger if buyers dont like auctions lol

• Chris

What do you sell?

• Gary

What do I sell? 5 categories of product:-

a) products that have enough sales history to assess a price that those who require a quick fix would like = store BIN with the aim of selling 50% of products listed in the first 30 days, the next 25% in the next 60 days, and the remaining 25% in the next 120 days after which they qualify for category d)

b) products that even I have difficulty valuing as there is no or little recent sales history = auction at 99p start 100% sell through rate

c) products that I know will do very well at auction = auction at 99p start 100% sell through rate

d) products with plenty of sales history that are slow BIN sellers for some reason (normally an odd category outside my normal remit or a category where I have offered too much choice) and have not sold as BINS within 210 days. I need to free up storage space = auction starting at cost price factoring in ebay and paypal fees 80% sell through rate

e) Whilst I do product repairs where necessary there are products that are damaged repairable and are not an economic repair time wise = auction at 99p start. Let somebody else who can repair provide their time for free. I value my time! 100% sell through rate

So over 220 days I have a 97% sell through rate. I am probably the sort of seller ebay like! :-)

• northumbrian

WE SELL ANYTHING WITH PROFIT ON ,THAT IS LEGAL, AND DOES NOT TALK BACK

• northumbrian

we think buying right is as important as selling right
      we put as much effort or more into buying as we do selling

• Chris

Gary,
      That’s is good info and good logic.
      We mainly use Buy it Now’s with Best Offers, I’ve been testing auction for a little while now on some bits that I know should do well and have had some mixed results.

I think auction is also good for keeping Capital consistently coming in.

• northhumbrian

anything thats legal

• JohnR

Its free listing again this weekend.

Has anyone got the promo page for today’s cheap listing day? Good to be able to link to the terms.

• danny

Tried listing an item at 9 pounds buy it now and it wants to charge me it flashed up free weekend once can’t find it again.

• northumbrian

WE LOVE BUY IT NOWS lots of sellers ask daft money and buyers use them a a bench mark for auction bids

• Gary

Look at sale prices not BIN prices. That’s my BIN benchmark. Not other sellers unsold BIN prices. The only thing that interests me is what buyers are paying, not what sellers are asking. Pitch the BIN above the average sale price but below the average BIN and you will sell at an above average sale prices. Don’t do best offer. Too much faffing around and I get enough sales flow without this.. Either the buyer wants it at the price or they don’t. Simple!

• Chris

Gary,
      We’re currently doing best offer, and are perhaps coming to terms with that it is a bit of a faff.
      I think it gives the buyer time to think, ‘do I really need this?’.

Though, conversely, It’s useful to do a deal, but maybe I shouldn’t be concerned about that and just price the item straight at what I want.

‘They either want it or they don’t’.

• Chris

This is a little off topic, but is there a way within eBay that you can view hold old your own listings are; without having to click on each one to see the actual date they were listed?

For example; I use Buy it Now’s a lot, and want to see how long each item has been on eBay for without selling. E.g. I may have had some items for 3-4 months.

• DBL

Go to active listings view in ‘my ebay’, click ‘customise’ on the top right hand of page (next to print) and click the tick box ‘start date’ and apply, then sort by clicking on the ‘start date’ column header’ to sort by date started … ta da!

:-)