eBay India introduce 9-hour delivery service in Mumbai

By Dan Wilson January 17, 2014 - 1:23 pm

eBay has unveiled a new 9 hour same day delivery service in the Indian city of Mumbai. The service as it stands will allow shoppers in technology categories to order goods before noon and receive them before 9pm.

It is expected that the service will be expanded to other cities in India and other selling categories in due course. A new site has been set up to enable the service: www.ebay.in/mumbai

Mumbai has a population of about 12 million people, so we’re talking about a serious commercial opportunity. This move further underpins the huge economic and social change that is happening in the BRIC, CIVET and MINT countries as they move to become world powers and that equals opportunity. In these countries mobile shopping, in particular, is enjoying explosive growth.

It’s also further evidence, if any were needed, that the way ecommerce orders are being delivered is changing alongside customer expectations.

• Gary

There is no minimum wage in India. Wonder how many INR cases this new service will generate?

• PayPalUser

Funnily enough we had a INR from India two days ago, we had no choice but to refund via PayPal (as usual), so we have now blocked India as a country we will ship to.

• derek duval

India, LOL. First thing I do when setting up an Ebay Account is Block Asia and South America full stop.
      Except for Japan and South Korea.
      Not had any INR from those 2

• Confused

So 1 INR is all it takes for you guys you ban a country?

Shame as India and South America are great for me. You obviously have to be smart about it and use “International Signed For” though. Both booming economies if your serious about international trade.

My biggest problem is the UK chavs and increasingly the chavettes claiming INR.

• Nitbuntu

When sending to India and other countries with unreliable post, always use ‘International Signed For’ or ‘Airsure’ services. However, I think you’ll find just as much of a problem sending parcels to Italy, Spain and Greece. The worst place has to be Russia, where even signed for packages seem to mysteriously disappear.

• northumbrian

we have had trouble with Essex never mind India

• Nitbuntu

Actually, in a place like Mumbai they would almost always use private express courier services for local deliveries…which are quite predictable and reliable in the cities.

The cost of an express courier service is lower than what we pay for our Royal Mail deliveries (probably due to there not being a minimum wage). Since the goods will have to be signed for, I doubt you’d find many INR cases.

• Gary

My last INR was to India also so no longer ship their either. Don’t normally ship to India but the buyer pleaded with me, Now it is a firm no every time. Wonder how the India INR’s stack up against the UK?

• Hereford United fan

I stopped posting to India last year.

I finally gave up with Italy last week.

I am now having problems with Spain with a large amount of parcels not arriving after 2 weeks. I have even had a policy warning from Amazon.es due to the problems.

Has anyone else had problems with Spain recently?

About a year ago I got an order from Pakistan..The customer explained that he could not pay by paypal but I sent him an invoice anyway. A few days later an envelope arrived smothered in stamps and stuffed with British Banknotes. So I posted the book to him. I had previously checked his addrerss on the atlas and it appeared to be right out in the outback. A few days later he posted a glowing Feedback so I took from that that he had received the book.

There must have been at least a dozen places where this transaction could have gone pear-shaped. It is one that I hope never to have to try to repeat. but the important thing was that the customer got his book.

• northumbrian

why cant ebay contact these iffy countries buyers the same as they have just announced for argentina

• Hereford United fan

What have they announced for Argentina? I can’t find where the eBay announcements are hidden on the site anymore.

Thanks

It is definitely good more for eBay and good one to compete with Amazon and Flipcart (largest).