Only 11 to buy? Lets say there are none!

By Chris Dawson November 8, 2013 - 8:01 am

Would you be surprised if you knew you had something for sale on eBay and yet eBay told buyers no one had that particular item for sale? John from was!

If you search for items only from the UK, it appears that if there are less than about 50 matching search results eBay simply tell you that there are none and shows overseas search results instead.

A search for “Denmark Stamps 2000” does just this and eBay display the message “” with an option to “Return to original search”.

Null Search Result

“0” is pretty emphatic, it’s not “Only a few” or “not very many”, 0 is nothing, zero, none. Not only do eBay tell you that there are no search results, but if you click in the left hand sidebar “UK Only” it doesn’t work and still keeps you on the page with no search results.

There is that link “” however, if you click that a little magic happens. The UK Only search is restored and in this case the “0 results found” changes to “11 results”.

Not a Null Search Result

The question is if I’ve specifically told eBay that I want to buy from a UK listing and if they have 11 search results why do they make it so hard for me to buy them? At they very least they could show me the 11 UK listings with international listings displayed below.

We know there are great sellers who ship from overseas, so long as we know where we’re buying from we at Tamebay are generally very happy to buy from around the world. If however we specifically want to buy from the UK we’d quite like that option. Please eBay, don’t tell us there are no search results in the UK when there are actually 11.

• Ian

On the subject of ebay bugs. I’ve got no items showing in my dashboard this morning. Anyone else having the same issue? slightly concerned as it means I can’t process orders!

• Ian

Seems to be working again now. :)

It’s Friday maintenance tinkering no doubt :-)

• Mark

Evidence of the impending switch to Cassini for the main site? I’ve spotted something else in Analytics which seems to point to that too…

• Weeze

10% in additional fees from international postage is more than 10% in fees from UK postage = more cash for ebay???

• Gary

Euro + Asian sellers shipping to the UK don’t pay ebay fees on shipping. It is a UK thing.

Just in case any one combines international postage.
      We had a customer accidentally bought 2 items and paid postage on each.
      He discovered his error and asked me to combine and refund.
      Now what about the 10% Ebay fee I have already paid on the 2nd item’s shipping.
      I am talking about £0.85 pence fees BUT it’s my £0.85 not ebay’s.
      Ebay told me I would need to phone them and show that I had refunded, then they would reimburse me.
      No automated way apparently so a little long winded but it worked.

• Jimbo

Chris perhaps you could press eBay for a comment on this?

Which bit? The fact that some eBay countries simply don’t have business/private seller distinctions or the fact that with passive selling you pay local fees and if you actively list on an overseas sites you pay fees according to that site’s fee schedule?

• Jimbo

The subject of your original post. That search is returning zero and offering overseas alternatives when a matching product is available from a UK seller.

See JD as per below

• Jimbo

Yes I have seen that now. Perhaps you could chase someone higher up the chain of command for an official response to your blog post.

• JD

eBay CS have confirmed this to me as a bug.

According to the agent it has been given priority status but no timescale for a fix.

• roger browne

Steady on Tamebay. Criticising EBay – what’s going on now?

• JD

UK only search seems to be working as should be expected now.

Yay! You’re right, appears to have been fixed :-)