myHermes lower prices across the board

By Chris Dawson November 14, 2013 - 10:47 am

myHermes featmyHermes lowered their prices a week ago on the 5th of November. Somehow we missed the change (despite their new advert on Tamebay and sending a parcel via their service!!). However a sharp eyed Tamebay reader notice that their latest delivery costs had dropped and they’re saving on every parcel that they send.

The price drop is 25p per parcel across all four myHermes price bands. It looks like this could well be a reaction to Royal Mail’s introduction of a new small parcel size announced at the end of October. Couriers and postal service are very competitive and whilst 25p per parcel might not sound much it certainly adds up over the course of the year and is a massive investment for myHermes to make.

For reference myHermes full price schedule is below. They offer three service options – door to door collection and delivery on a 3 day courier service or drop off at ParcelShop or drop off at a Parcel Locker for a 2 day service.

WEIGHT BAND PRICE EX. VAT PRICE INC. VAT
Between 0-2kg £3.25 £3.90
Between 2-5kg £4.25 £5.10
Between 5-10kg £5.75 £6.90
Between 10-15kg £7.75 £9.30
Signature on delivery £0.83 £1.00
Remote area delivery (IM,HS,ZE) £1.66 £2.00
Saturday collection* £0.83 £1.00

*Collection from your door only

COMPENSATION LEVEL PRICE EX. VAT PRICE INC. VAT
 up to £50  £0.00  £0.00
 Up to £100**  £1.00  £1.20
 Up to £250**  £2.00  £2.40

**Signature on delivery will be automatically added to the final cost.

• Steve

I will never use herpes again! the worst courier known to man!

They employ amateurs who are thieves and really do not care. It may be cheap but you will spend hours sorting out customer complaints and refunds! AVOID like the plague!!!

• e seller

been using them since royal mail hike in Paril , hundreds of parcels sent succesfully only a few minor issues with bent parcel tubes , they have come on leaps and bounds , price hike from £2.50 to £3.50 was a cheek but lowered down to £3.25 is happy days
    tracked and insured also so can’t know it

• Gary

They seem OK to me and reduction was a nice surprise when I last logged in. Anything above 1kg or larger than RM medium parcel goes Hermes via local drop off. As above comment tracked and insured which is something RM don’t offer unless you pay extra.

I was put off using My Hermes for ages because of all the horror stories but I decided I’d try them and see for myself.

In the last 6 months or so I’ve sent around 60 parcels, every single one has been collected on time and delivered intact and on time, with not one single customer complaint.

I would add though that it seems to make a difference when you tick the box to get a signature, which I mostly do. This should stop them leaving it somewhere silly.

It also depends on your local courier, but the one in my patch is brilliant, when he’s not available he always makes sure someone else comes.

What MyHermes seem to have done is reintroduce the discount for drop-off at a Parcelshop (since April the drop-off and collect prices have been the same).

I’ve had no problems with MyHermes over 2 years or more. Every package is fully tracked, and the free £50 cover is enough for nearly all my despatches (and still pretty cheap if you need extra). Their online booking system is now greatly improved as well. Pity that 1 or 2 local black sheep give a poor image of a real competitor to RM.

• Lynn

Note that the prices shown in the table displayed by Tamebay are for drop-off at Parcelshops only – the price for collection is +30p for each weightband, ie unchanged.

• Alex

Does anyone know why Parcel2go are not passing this price reduction on?

As regards Hermes quality of service, whilst I know they had a poor reputation back in the day, I have been using them for 4 years and must say that aside from the very rare failed collection and the odd parcel taking longer to be delivered than expected, I can honestly say that I regard their service to be absolutely one of the best. I also use most of the other services when I have to (only when cheaper than Hermes) and frequently have an issue. Without question Yodel are consistently the worst. Hermes are great and I recommend them highly.

• elvis

Do hermes ever have discount vouchers such as 10% off, that you can enter at checkout like some other couriers always do?