Is it time to take another punt on eBid?

By Chris Dawson November 22, 2013 - 7:29 am

eBid FeatWe first wrote about Andy of kreativebargains when we asked eBid for a case study or to put us in touch with a successful eBid seller turning over £1000 a month on a regular basis. eBid stopped answering our emails but Andy, the most successful eBid seller we’ve been able to find, got in touch.

At the time he wasn’t selling £1000 a month, but as far as we can tell the £700/month he was selling made him eBid’s top seller. Today Andy is back and has shown us his sales reports and they really are running at over £2000/month which we’re massively impressed by that.

As Andy says it may not be a liveable wage depending on your profit margins, but it’s certainly a decent chunk of income and additional revenue. Here’s Andy’s experience and his top tips for making a success on eBid:

kreativebargains on eBid

As an eBid seller who is doing reasonably well and with some sellers looking for a alternative I would like to share my experience of eBid with you.

I have been on eBid since October 2010 and saw my sales compared to my eBay selling drop considerably. But I had made the decision to leave as I was seeing a gradual reduction in sales and visibility and an increase in costs.

My sales gradually improved from five in the first month to fifteen to twenty a month. Then I started to visit the forums and picked up tips, that helped. After coming from eBay where the traffic was much higher and frankly at times all you had to do was list and you could get a sale, I had mistakenly thought that eBid would be the same. How wrong I was.

One of the regular forum members hit the nail on the head when he described eBid as a platform that was like having a B&M store in a shopping mall. The eBay mall had plenty people who would visit knowing that they would almost certainly be able to get what they wanted, in addition they had plenty of footfall and people would pass your shop on a regular basis and if you had something they liked the look of they might buy it.

The eBid mall on the other hand had fewer stores so fewer people would visit, as it was less likely that they would be able to find what they wanted, and less footfall for the same reason. In that situation the eBid mall will do some advertising, but with less income would not be able to able to do much and certainly not for each store individually.

What would you do in that situation to get people to your store in the eBid mall? The answer is probably that you would utilise whatever the mall offers and add whatever else you can. After all there would be the incentive of lower rents so that the potential to make a profit was good if you could make the sales. This is exactly the same on eBid.

On the eBid forums there are frequent posts that are along the lines of “Been here a month no sales”. A closer inspection of the seller and how they are selling there are invariably things they could do differently that might help the situation. Some of them take the advice that is offered, others do not. In the last month three sellers in particular on the forums have taken the advice and all are now selling.

Andy’s Top eBid Selling Tips:

Keywords

There is not the traffic, so you have to get people to your listings from other sources. As ebid uploads to Google Shopping this is the key to getting those views. The best way to achieve this is using strong keywords. So here are two listings currently on eBid, “KE7 SG27a FINE MINT” and “ANGEL BUNNY”. There are 81 characters available and these listings use 19 and 11 respectively. The chances of a potential buyer using a search term that matches the title is small, so the items are unlikely to be seen and unlikely to sell.

Price

With the lower fees on eBid there is an obvious opportunity to offer a better price to the buyer and still increase margins. This is another regular mistake that sellers make. Price is obviously a matter for the seller but in a recent example that appeared on the forums a seller had an item listed on eBay at £10 and on ebid at £12. In all other aspects the listing was the same. So if the item was found using a search where would the buyer purchase from? But using this example it is the buyer who loses out by making the purchase on eBay, here’s why’:

Sell on ebay at £10 with £3 shipping

Sell on eBid for £9.50 with £3 shipping

FVF on £13 is £1.29
Paypal fees on £13 are £0.64
Seller receives £11.07
FVF on £9.50 (no FVF on shipping) £0.19
Paypal fees on £12.50 are £0.63
Seller receives £11.68

So selling at 5% less would actually make the seller an extra £0.61 and on eBid there are no store fees or relisting fees. It could also bring the price below the competition on not only eBay but Amazon and other sites with the potential for more sales.

Listing duration

When I started on eBid and saw the Run Until sold option for listings I thought ‘great, no need to relist’. That was the first of many mistakes. This option can be a useful tool for those with listings that are less popular and likely to be found using a search, but for the majority of listings it is a mistake. The main problem is that on eBid itself they are listed below those with a set running time and will always remain below them.

For that reason I use 7-10 day listings. But you can gain even more using timed listings. My analytics show regular return visitors and if a visitor logs on at the same time and sees the same listings on a regular basis, the chances of a sale are reduced and they might stop visiting. I therefore use listings at 7, 8, 9 and 10 days with 10 Auto Reposts. This has the effect of ‘moving’ listings around my stores and presenting different items to potential buyers who might visit on set days.

The items will be listed for 77 to 110 days so relisting is not a regular chore and at the end of that time I can review my listing and make changes if feel they are needed.

Stores

It should go without saying but on eBid a Seller+ member gets 5 free stores so it would be wise to take full advantage of this.

Forums

I am a regular on the forums and do get sales from there. You can build a rapport and a sense of trust with people that can help clinch sales. There is also a Plug Your Auctions thread that can be used once every day which is great for letting people know about sales, promotions and new listings. There is also plenty of advice on there that I have found invaluable.

If you are going to use the forums then add your store links to your signature as that makes it easy for people to navigate to them.

Social Media

This is not my strongest point but several eBid sellers have reported success that they can directly attribute to Facebook and Pinterest in particular. Recently eBid took on a new member of the team specifically to raise the online profile and this has lead to the creation of Pinterest boards that sellers can pin to.

Everything else

As with any site, images and descriptions need to be up to scratch. And completing the About Me section on the home page, stating terms and conditions, shipping discounts if you do them all help.

My own experience is that taking these steps can get sales on eBid and the site is showing signs of improving. My sales this month are already over £2,000 which might not be enough to make a living but would surely be a nice addition to the turnover of many smaller sellers. In the last 3 years my sales have gone from an average of about £250 in the first year, £700 in the second and £1000 in the third. My target for next year is £1500 and current trading is pointing to this being achieved and possibly exceeded.

• Steve

We have colleagues doing quite well on ebid; We are looking at it as another venue- can;t be worse than driving traffic to your own website. Excellent insight, thanks very much.

Hi Steve, would be interesting if you could get them to pop a comment on this thread. We asked for years (both eBid direct and on Tamebay) for a seller case study of someone doing an amount of sales (£1000/moth turnover) and Andy is the one and only person that’s ever come forward and been willing to show their sales figures.

That kind of leads us to believe there are no or very few out there doing sales which could make a real difference to your income in even a small measure. Maybe that’s now changing in which case it’s newsworthy!

• haleyscomicsandcollectibles

Hi Chris,
      I saw your post in the eBid forums & totally agree with you, I have to say it is a shame that when the truth is spoken on the eBid forums that the comments gets removed as yours did & then mine for agreeing with you.

That has been happening alot on their forums either comments or entire thread gets removed if someone don’t like what others have to say.

Just goes to reinforce my opinion that eBid is generally a crap place to do business but ok if you want to find your own customers and just earn a bit of pocket money.

I’m willing to have my opinion changed, but I don’t think eBid actually have anything to back up their claims and are simply happy taking their fifty quid lifetime club memberships and delivering no real value.

Sad really that they won’t even speak to us but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Looks like I’m banned from the eBid forums. To anyone reading we’d love to respond to your comments over there… but we can’t 😀

• Madelaine Kirke

For someone who has been banned you are posting prolifically!

Count the number of posts I have on the eBid forums 😉

Apart from the four posts made in the last hour, someone has deleted every previous post I’ve made 😀

• northumbrian

and when you have competition on ebid what will the results be

You say “cant help thinking if the same effort was applied to ebay you would get a better result”

But the problem with eBay is that they keep moving the Goal Posts and are in the process of sending Small Players off the field.

Without a doubt you would improve your eBay sales and I wish I had known when I was on eBay what I know now. But on eBay can you say for certain that they will not change things, not upload all sellers to Google Shopping, reduce your visibility on eBay searches, increase fees again? And as my figures show if you can succeed on eBid you make a higher margin which is never a bad thing. As for competition a high proportion of my sales are to newbies. Yes more sellers reducing their current prices will mean more direct price competition, but it will also attract more buyers to eBid. There is competition internally on most sites but the majority of sellers can find buyers. For me I would like to see thousands more sellers on eBid raising the profile and increasing buyer choice as that will benefit all sellers on the site. Competition is a positive not a negative.

Has eBid got a API yet, untill it does its not really an option for a lot of sellers who need to sync their inventory across multiple platforms

The API and the app are something we are all waiting for. As far as I am aware the site needed considerable work before these could be implemented. That work has been done. This is from the eBid newsletter from November:

For all of you awaiting our long overdue smartphone app we have some good news. We’ve just finished work on a lot of updates that were required on our iOS app after the introduction of iOS7. Our app was ready for launch just when iOS7 was introduced, the new operating system has thrown up quite a few problems which have now been overcome. So all systems are go on that front. Our Android app will be following soon after the Apple version.

The API is then next on the ‘to do’ list.

• northumbrian

Ah! but does ebid
    have seller protection!
    LOL,
    seriously though
    we would use ebid instantly if it were known to be cost effective
    though we need to pay the bills

In many ways ebid is more cost effective than eBay. Apart from the payment for Seller+ Lifetime there are no other on-going costs. you get 5 free stores so no monthly store fees and there are no relisting fees. And as my figures show if you can make sales you get a better return. If I could go back I would have set up on ebid sooner but kept my eBay account going, migrating my regular customers over to provide lower prices for them and a better return for me. And with recent ebay culls having another option could help out on paying the bills if the worse happens on there.

• northumbrian

we have 40 to 50 k a month turnover on ebay cant see ebid performing adequately for us

• Don AKA Pink Panther

As a seller on ebay I’ve been shot to pieces, despite winning the argument I lost the war!

ie; Found not to be at fault for Item not as described.
      Buyer had full refund!
      and GET THIS!

BUYER ALLOWED TO KEEP ITEM! 🙁

I don’t know about buyer protection on ebid, but I’m pretty sure there ain’t an open season on sellers there. 😉 🙂

• Steve

I’ll ask him to contact you Chris; I don’t think he is doing anything major on ebid but I know he has regular sales there and is looking to increase Inventory; no listing costs- some of his items are low value but needed in the niche market he operates in- are a big attraction.

• Jason Cooke

eBid have a really good opportunity now to get the culled eBay accounts. However, they need to shout about it, and that they can offer an alternative selling solution. Get an image on the homepage about rescuing restricted eBayers! and a small discount to sign up TODAY I’m sure would seal the deal. I’m looking for a new place to sell my personal and used items. Know anyone?

• Jimbo

If the accounts were culled by eBay why would ebid want them?

Surely it would depend on Why the particular Sellers were culled by ebay. Do we have any Official reason why? Perhaps an analysis of what the reasons were? After all it is likely that there are a range of reasons.

The trouble with arbitarily culling Sellers is that it could leave a hole in the products being sold on ebay. With Christmas rapidly approaching there will be many Buyers on ebay. If ebay in its wisdom culls every Seller of a particular product then Buyers might be driven elsewhere.

Of course there could be good reasons for culling some such as Chinese Sellers who try to make out that they are domestic UK or Sellers who spend all their time breaking rules etc. But from what I have seen over the years the vast majority of sellers are honest and if they went to ebid after being culled by ebay they would be an asset to ebid.

• Jimbo

Are sellers being “arbitrarily” culled on eBay?

• mw

Don’t know if this is in breach of any Tamebay policies, but thought it was an interesting article and relevant to this thread. Aplolgies if it’s in any sort of breach and please delete it if that is the case.

• Digmen1

Only one top seller after 14 years ?
    Ebid really need to promote any others they have.

And they really need an API.
    They last mentioned it officially about a year ago.

And lower joining fees
    And easier buyer registration
    And buyer protection
    And traffic

• Gerry007

Typically $49.99 on US platform & £49.99 on UK platform….

What happened to exchange rates….???

• JOSEPHINE

WHERE’S THE VIDEO? BE TRUE TO YOUR WORD!

Dan Wilson says

2:27 am on 28/08/2012
    I will happily eat my hat if anyone can say they make their living on eBid.
    And if we can verify the claim, Chris will film me chewing on a tasty titfer and we’ll put the video on YouTube.

I’ve got the camera ready… but we’ve not found someone making a living yet. As Andy said in the article “My sales this month are already over £2,000 which might not be enough to make a living but would surely be a nice addition…

Can’t wait for the hat eating though 🙂

• hawkwind

Off to buy something off kreativebargains to help with the hat eating lol

I have a few hats listed and will gladly donate one if I can get my sales to that stage. Would you prefer a pink Barbie or a white fur one?

I rather think the hat eating offer might have expired, it was a few months back and we didn’t find anyone.

Can’t wait to hear you are making your living on eBid though!

• northumbrian

any policemans helmets ?

• Josephine

Hmmmm. Seems we have someone moving the goal posts to save face.

You said –

We also asked specifically for an example of a seller who “makes their living on the site with a regular minimum of £1000 per month in sales”

Whilst Andy is making over £1000/month he happily admits he’s not yet making his living on eBid so the criteria isn’t met and the goal posts haven’t moved.

I’m afraid your desperation to see Dan eat his hat is typical of the eBid luvvies we’ve come to expect – all talk and no sales. Ho Hum…. we’ll keep waiting. Why don’t you go find someone who is making their living on eBid, or do you just troll because there isn’t anyone? 😀

Andy is still the only eBid seller who’s come forward with an amount of sales worth taking note of and we’re impressed with him. However it’s pretty sad to have just one decent seller from a 14 year old marketplace – it’s no wonder eBid management don’t want to talk to us, they obviously have nothing to say. Sad really, total fail!

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Josephine, get your facts right!
      It’s not to save face!
      It’s to save stomachache! 😉 🙂

Just checked out the laser printers on eBid. Still hardly any choice (much better then a year ago when there was none).

Sadly every single model available is cheaper on eBay than on eBid (not counting the spare/repairs – who wants a broken printer anyway?). The argument that you can buy cheaper on eBid because the seller isn’t paying high fees doesn’t seem to apply to printers.

• John Squern

Like many others, I have deserted eBay – sick of the policy changes, price hikes, and sharp practices.

I find eBid to be an easy, friendly site to use, free of the pressures to perform, and to conform, that are found on the other site.

In contrast to other sites, the seller is free to develop in a direction of his own choosing, and the success of his stores and listings is entirely due to his (or her) efforts. Success can’t be bought, it has to be earned.

Listings and visibility are the same for all sellers – size truly doesn’t matter. Neither will size save you if you are a bad seller, or dishonest.

I would urge all online sellers to give eBid a try – there is little to lose, and much to gain.

Hi John, people tell me that you’re one of the other successful sellers on eBid. Care to share what your current sales figures are?

Would also be interested in your thoughts on why it’s better for you to drive traffic to eBid, than to drive traffic to your own website? It appears from everything that I hear that sellers on eBid pretty much only get sales through their own traffic generation activities and if they put no effort in they get no sales in which case why use eBid?

Final question – do you think it’s possible to make a real living on eBid, or is it simply a site for a bit of pin money (not that there’s anything wrong with making pocket money, it’s just the majority of our readers are businesses and they’re looking for low hanging fruit before they put in a ton of effort which spent elsewhere would generate bigger profits)

• John Squern

No, I don’t care to share what my current sales figures are.

Why Is it better for me to drive traffic to eBid, than to drive traffic to my own website? Two reasons – cost and credibility.

The cost of using eBid is minimal, so that almost everything I make is profit. I do not have to spend time maintaining the site, or paying annual fees for it. And I’m saving hundreds of pounds per month in eBay fees. So that’s profit as well. I earn more by working less hard – seems like a good idea.

On eBid, buyers have the reassurance that it is a genuine site with standards of conduct. They can check feedback, and read the forums. That is not the case with a private website.

Is it possible to make a real living on eBid? Of course it is, and many do. You just haven’t found them. (“Andy is the biggest seller we’ve ever found”). One of the strengths of eBid is that it can be anything you make it. It will work equally as well as a business platform or an outlet for unwanted items. That’s no longer true with eBay.

Another poster has said, “Since the recent culling of good sellers on ebay there is no longer the choice of products and what’s left is easier and cheaper to buy on the high street”. That is becoming more true every day, and if you want unusual, vintage, or hard-to-find items, it’s a waste of time looking on eBay – they’re going to eBid, and other sites, particularly niche and speciality sellers.

Since you tell us that you had a poor experience with eBid – “I tried years ago…”, perhaps that has coloured your view of the site. You should check it now. It is becoming a more varied and vibrant site, with a wide variety of goods being offered for sale. New sellers and buyers are using the site, many as a reaction to eBay’s dictatorial attitude and ever-increasing charges.

These sellers are bringing with them years of online trading experience, so the chances of a good “buying experience” are very high. Ebay, meanwhile is having to attract new sellers to make up the numbers, and their inexperience can cause problems for buyers.

If “business” sellers only want the “low-hanging fruit”, maybe they shouldn’t look at eBid, and maybe eBid would be better off without them. They are, after all, what has made eBay what it is today. And eBid has no ambitions to repeat eBay’s mistakes, or take on their problems.

Ebid is a good place for start-up businesses, small sellers, niche sellers, and businesses who want to grow organically. It is not for those who want to make a fast, easy buck without putting in much effort. What decent business was ever created on that basis?

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Am I missing something here or is it Tamebay?
      The thing is, Kreative Andy is not selling anything out of the ordinary. He’s selling stuff that earns him a profit. It just happens to be more profit per item than on ebay.

All his hard work on ebid HAS NOT been outweighed by the fees ebay would have cost him!
      £50 aside for a seller+ Lifetime membership; it costs you nothing to LIST on ebid!

I think what Andy has done is to show others looking for an alternative or extra string to their bow and that ebid should be given very serious consideration.

I can’t wait for the penny to drop for Power sellers on ebay!
      Like I said Andy aint special as regards his stock, but he’s special because he’s a pioneer into the ebid selling world.

If you want my selling figures; I sold a book for £1.50p and a tea cosy for £3.99p
      But I’m only after fishing money and good crack on the forums.

Ebid has a jkind of club atmosphere about it.

Would love to hear more about the club atmosphere. I keep saying it but I see a lot of that on eBid and it’s a good thing. Quite frankly the eBay PowerSeller board used to be a vibrant place (I should know, I had the posting record of over 25,000 posts in a calendar year!), but it changed and in my opinion not necessarily for the better.

The social side of ecommerce shouldn’t be ignored and we still cover social selling on eBay (e.g. eBay Cheap listings days and consumer or charity stories). We’d love to hear the same sort of things from eBid.

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Every day is a free listing day on ebid!
      Lots of stories of joy and adversity where the congratulations, sympathies and advice are offered freely.

As for charity there are the YDC auctions (YDC Your Donation Counts) Where members sell their own goods for their own favourite charity.

• Gerry007

I registered with ebid 14 months ago & never got round to it.

Had a look tonight & decided to list a few items.
    I used the Platinum service for these listings, so there are fees of………..wait for it……….wait for it……….. 5p to list and 3% fee if a item sells.

If we sell, we can always up the type of account and get the lifetime thing….if they sell. If they do not then I’ve wasted a whole 15p [3 listings] and bankruptcy looms.

Maybe that’s the way to try it out….

• stampsandcoins1

As apposed to 15p listing fee; 10% FVF AND 10% commission on postage with ebay. A no brainer

Let me know how you get on – I tried years ago and trashed my prices to make the items very attractive. Didn’t get a sale on eBid but I did rack up a 10p bill which is still outstanding but my eBid account says “Amount due under minimum, no payment currently necessary”. Result of my trial was I sold a ton on eBay at full price, a respectable amount on Gumtree at reduced price and not a single item on eBid.

You can read about my trial here. Would be interesting to know if you get on any better as I tried five years ago.

• Chris Smth

The Platinum Listing is not advertised enough. This is definitely the best way to try it. As said you are not really losing much by trying it. If it works spend £50 and get lifetime. If not, then you tried it spent about 20p and move on.

There seems to be a lot of hostility towards eBid for some reason. If you don’t like it there is tons of other alternatives.

I signed up to the £49-99 Lifetime thing a year ago. I tried to list and found that even though I had paid I was still blocked. I tried to get an answer from ebid as to what the problems was. Their answer was to stay with ebay. Since then I have tried most months to try to get an answer to the basic question. “Why if I have paid my £49-99 am I still unable to list on ebid” and every month the answer is total silence.

Just recently I found a stray charge on my account for £54-99 quoting ebid. Now I have a very simple rule. If I want to buy anything I use the monies from my sales to buy it. So if I buy on ebay I use monies from my sales on ebay. So as I have not been able to sell on ebid I have not bought anything on ebid. So this charge cannot be for any selling activities of mine on ebid. So I once again emailed ebid as to a) why I cannot list on ebid and b) what is the justification for the £54-99. To date you will not be surprised to learn, No Answer.

If I do not get an answer soon I shsll be looking at other measures as it does look like ebid is generally a “rip off site”.

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Did you contact support@ebid.net Outline your problem in a factual way. you should get a response within 24hrs and not from a machine either.

• Judy Aster

I am more of a buyer than a seller but two years ago when I had something to sell I looked at eBid but ebay seemed the obvious choice. Since then I have sold a few things on ebay and bought a lot more.
    Since the recent culling of good sellers on ebay there is no longer the choice of products and whats left is easier and cheaper to buy on the high street. I am now looking on eBid first as there is a lot more choice than there was and have already bought several things and got some good deals. I did ask someone at ebay on Friday what the combined price would be if I bought five of his items, his reply was that it would be five times the cost of one, no discount on carriage because, I suppose, they cant afford to give a discount as well as paying the high fees.
    I have spent a few thousand pounds on ebay over the last couple of years and I would dearly love some of those sellers to give me the chance to buy from them on eBid at a more reasonable price, which they could afford to do on eBid.

Why is every one slating eBid? I have been a member for almost a year now and NEVER had a problem.
    I moved from ebay because my monthly fees were reaching £200, I have regular sales on eBid and my monthly fees are a fraction of that.

Plus when ebay started talking about seller “privileges” that was it.

Ebid is easy to use, very few or no problems and like everything else you only get out of it what you put in.

Finally, talking of hats, I take mine off to Kreativebargains

Why is everyone slating eBid? Mainly because they make unsubstantiated claims that they are a great place to run a business when quite frankly they don’t appear to be. Andy is the biggest seller we’ve ever found and massive respect to him but it’s hardly enough to excite most businesses and is at best a nice little add on.

Would love eBid to a) get serious about being a marketplace that businesses could use or b) come clean about what sales levels are realistic.

Frankly I think with a one off fifty quid life time payment (less than a month for a featured eBay shop) they’ll always be useless for businesses as they simply don’t have any revenue to invest.

• Judy Aster

I would disagree with that, I think Andy is one of many. I constantly see sellers on there – hot sellers, popular auctions and items sold – that appear regularly. They haven’t told you about it because they dont know who you are or that you are asking and I suspect are too busy with their sales anyway.
      Since ebay lost their way and I had another look at eBid, I have been very surprised by the change in activity there.

While the revenue is not there neither are the overheads or need to satisfy shareholders. With the fees and free stores there will never be the massive budget to have massive advertising campaigns. But while that would be nice the majority of buyers will return to a site where they can get what they want at a price that they are comfortable with.
      My point for sellers is that online nothing is guaranteed. Selling on eBay might still be relatively easy at the moment, but will that always be the case? From what I see on sites like yours is that for many selling over there is getting harder. Maybe starting another income stream to make up for that is now. While eBid might not yet be the site that can provide a large income instantly it is one that is growing, for me that growth is 30-50% a year. If eBay sales are static or falling and you can sell elsewhere with double digit annual growth it does not take long before sales volumes become similar on both sites. I and many others would rather have less hassle and that continued growth than the prospect of being included in the next cull and having to start from scratch again anyway, and it is not always bad sellers who are caught up in the culls, they are increasingly including good sellers who simply do not fit their profile for the future.

As ever you’re (about the only one) to make a cogent case in favour of eBid. They really should give you a job in PR 🙂

I think the biggest issue for most Tamebay readers is that whilst your revenues are great for smaller businesses, they’re insignificant for most eBay businesses and they could make higher revenues quicker and easier by listing on say Amazon Germany or eBay Australia.

If sellers have already got up and running on multiple eBay and Amazon sites then perhaps eBid would be the next step. But without an API and with the need to drive traffic yourself it’s probably more likely that sellers will work on their own website, as by that time their marketplace revenues are so high that a couple of grand a month revenue is insignificant.

• Alan B

Mr Dawson, you are an idiot and always have been. You have always been anti eBid because you are in the pockets of ebay.
      A friend of mine attended one of your “talks” and he told me that his 9 year old son knew more than you. Stop spouting this rubbish and get a real job

As I’ve stated on numerous occasions I’m not anti-eBid. I’m just still waiting for either eBid or more eBid sellers like Andy to come along. I’m guessing you’re not one of the successful sellers earning your living from eBid then?

• John Squern

Can you substantiate your claim that eBid make “unsubstantiated claims that they are a great place to run a business”? Or is that an unsubstantiated claim?

Because you have not been contacted by successful sellers, doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

It comes from a press release we received and also claims on the site.

We’ve emailled eBid Management and eBid PR asking for case studies on several occasions in the past two years.

We would happily feature such case studies. Ebid choose not to engage with us. And the deletion of Chris’s posts on the ebid forum is even more proof that we’re dealing with some sort of shoddy organisation, as far as I’m concerned.

dw

Sure no problem

Here’s the claim

And as you say “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”, but by definition that does mean that it is unsubstantiated.

We’re all ears for more seller stories like Andy’s if someone (or eBid management) would like to substantiate their claims.

As Dan just said above all we’ve ever asked for is that they don’t give us a load of fluffy mouthbites wrapped up as a press release and then beg us to publish it, give us hard facts that we can publish and tell the story of what eBid is all about.

Dawson is a buffoon and a charlatan just wanting to line his pockets with the crap he spouts. Obviously he is the pockets of ebay

Nice to see the true colours of eBid sellers.

Are you earning your living on eBid? We’d love to hear from you if you are.

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Nice to see yours too Mr Dawson. 🙂

As to this from your post;
      Here’s the claim
      “Mark Wilkinson, co-founder of eBid said, “Once you compare our fees to ‘the other auction site’ it becomes clear that eBid is a better alternative for anyone looking to really make a living, or at least a fair income, with online auctions“.

The phrase; eBid is a better alternative for anyone looking to really make a living, or at least a fair income, with online auctions“.
      With looking being the operative word.

Andy has passed that criteria, others I am sure have too.
      For these sellers to share such information with tamebay is another matter (I would’nt as it would be like being a rabbit on ebay forums being thrown into a pack of hyenas)

When more ebay powersellers wake up and smell the coffee and move part of their operation to ebid maybe you will be convinced that there is a world outside of ebay.

At least you will hear more success stories.

• Mike

I use eBay, eBid, BidStart, Delcampe and direct sales (via my website) selling on-line is how I make my living, that’s it, nothing else.

eBay = 85%
    direct = 10%
    Delcampe = 3%
    BidStart = 1.9%
    eBid = 0.1%

I dislike eBay and it’s treatment of sellers with a passion, but the truth is that it pays the bills…

• Don AKA Pink Panther

That’s today’s reality , but it can change.

With Andy making over £2000 per month and growing while selling nothing special, it’s only a matter of time before other powersellers notice and say What? Hey! I want some of that!

The result of that would be a bigger and more attractive ebid.

Andy has already proved that “If you build it , they will come!”

And then us little sellers will settle in all the niches, nooks and crannies! 😉 🙂

• Jimbo

Have I missed something is “Andy making over £2000 per month”?

• Chris Smth

I think that is the best way to go about selling. Shame about the figures but you’d hope that they would improve with the long promised release of the API.

Sellers have to be ready for eBay’s next cull. So multiple platforms will have to be the way forward until they see what works for them.

Once eBid release the mobile apps and API, you would hope/expect better sales figures.

• hush77hush

I have been using ebid for over 5 years now and am happy with the results compared to other sites.
    It does take a while to get your head round the selling practice on ebid compared to ebay though and a lot of sellers need to come to the site with a fresh approach to selling online.

I used to have a store on ebay to sell comic books and comic related toys and found the cost okay at the time (£6.00 a month and 0.10P per listing with FVF) sales were good for a hobbyist which I class myself as. about a sale per day. then ebay deiced that the little guy was no longer needed so I looked around and found ebid.

I took the time to learn how to do things on the site much to what Andy has already told you but the thing is a lot people have come from ebay where you don’t have to do much to sell well and can’t understand why there sometimes poor selling practice doesn’t bring them sales. The mall thingus that Andy mention is a good point to bring up and if people came to ebid and used it as a platform to sell via rather then an all sing and dancing auction site they may get on better there.

I also see your point about why not just open a your own website rather the use ebid? but for myself I wouldn’t be happy with the cost of up keep on my own site and to be honest not everyone that sells online is a computer wizz that would know how to look after one. However I have seen some ebiders use the site as there inventory with a web page or font page attached to it.

Don’t get me wrong I am nowhere near you £1000 a mouth target but I do get reasonable sales per month for which i am happy with for a hobbyist.

I am not a ebid loyalist and there are things that bug me about the site but I would rather work for the greater good then moan about them on forums be it ebid or any other.

Regards to your post being deleted from the ebid forum not to sure that it is ebid itself deleting them of a loyalist ebidder that has take it upon themselves to delete post and treads that he/she does not see as a benefit to the site I myself have fell foul to this.
    Cheers Paul

• northumbrian

crikey we wont go near ebid at all ever, if their ethos is to allow any self appointed tom dick or harriet to delete posts they dont find agreeable

Spoke to eBid Twitter last night – they said they’re going to investigate and come back to me today…

Will be interesting to hear what they have to say

• John Squern

That has not been my experience.
      I have put some pretty ripe ones on there, and nobody turned a hair.

eBid is not afraid of criticism, and responds positively. That is not the case on eBay, where criticism can get you banned from the site for life.

Totalitarian!

To the best of my knowledge, only posts which are offensive, personal, or slanderous would be removed.

So I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Ask those that saw my posts before they were deleted.. they were none of those things. Certainly nothing that contained words like “Idiot”, “buffoon” and “charlatan”, which is what a couple of really lovable and adorable eBid sellers have called me in comments above 😀

If a company like eBid cannot take views that aren’t completely on message with the eBid Cheerleading song book and don’t include a “boo down with eBay remark” then it’s pretty sad.

It’s an additional sign of their lack of professionalism if they have over-zealous and unregulated board moderators deleting otherwise fine posts just because they don’t like what’s said.

dw

• Gerry007

Off topic, but you should try making comments on huffingtonpost if you want over-zealous and unregulated board moderators deleting otherwise fine posts just because they don’t like what’s said.

• John Squern

I agree that use of words like that is out of order, unnecessary, and unproductive.

That really should have been pulled.

I’m not going to delete their comments, I could but I won’t, not our style to delete what we don’t like.

To be honest it’s just what we’ve come to expect over the years from a certain cachet of eBid sellers but it does get boring when we’re really after good news eBid stories, on which subject I was totally unconvinced, now I’m open to the fact things might be changing… who knows what’s next? Someone needs to tell us!

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Don’t worry! 😉

They don’t allow that at all! 🙂

With regards to the deleting of posts and threads on eBid. A member cannot delete a post or thread, they can report a post or thread and it is then up to ebid. There does however appear to be little checking of the reported posts and they are frequently removed, sometimes with little or no real reason. This might be due to time as eBid do not have the staff to have somebody acting as a moderator., so it could be that the majority of reported posts are almost automatically deleted. This has been discussed on the forums and the majority of eBidders disagree with it, but there are a couple of people who seem to have taken it upon themselves to report anything they do not like.

• northumbrian

quite impressed that Chris Dawson has allowed idiotic and personally insulting comments to stand,
    though his case is greatly strengthened by allowing them. we would be very tempted to delete

I didn’t just allow them to stand, I approved them out of the pending comments queue 😉

Water off a ducks back… had much worse things said about my by my friends 😀

Just an update on my figures for November. Sales are at 66 and the value is at £2802.61. Still 5 days left to pass the £3000 mark which is my target for making a basic living. Not quite Ferrari buying level but it would earn me well above minimum wage and if I can keep the increases coming will move from a living to a comfortable living. Just need to hit that every month. Next year though we will be rolling out some more of our own designs for t-shirts which hopefully will add a bit more, and I have plans for Spring and Summer.

• northumbrian

were being a little slow here ,we should be buying from you on ebid

and selling on ebay, lol

• Josephine

Dan Wilson says

2:27 am on 28/08/2012
      I will happily eat my hat if anyone can say they make their living on eBid.

• Josephine

• northumbrian

Awhh come on get real, we all know what Dan meant,
      theres a big difference in making a living and making a simple profit on the cost price

I’d also check the date! More than a year has passed and we STILL can’t verify that anyone makes a living on Ebid.

And how long has it been going? Over a decade!

It’s a dead parrot with all of the professionalism of the Spanish Inquisition.

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Hey! Does that mean that Fellah is going to eat his hat?

JUST ASKING! 😉 🙂 🙂

• johnC

The number that matters most is the net profit.

The factor that affects the net profit most is the sales volume, not the fees, unless your margin is stupidly low.

For the same amount of work, your sales, and hence your profit, will be higher on ebay.

Who visits ebid to buy, who even knows it exists unless they are a disgruntled (former) ebay seller?

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Not that I agree with your post or anything John C

but even if a power seller listed 1% of everything they had on ebay. And kept the rest in a virtual warehouse(ebid) but still available for sale they would still make more profit than listing just on ebay!

The word is Net not Nett and you need to cast it wider these days!

• Josephine

Interesting

Dan. The text seems to have been edited over the last few days? Can you point me to the text. Has it been removed?

DAN’s Quote

He said: Aug 28, 2012 – I will happily eat my hat if anyone can say they make their living on eBid. And if we can verify the claim, Chris will film me chewing on a tasty

2:49 pm on 25/11/2013

• Zeljko

Who make it living from eBid sales nobody know for exactly but in my opinion not many.

As I know for the person who report higher amount of sales is true but in that amount comes one ”catch” and he don’t tell that in here in own writing, and things is after that amount of sales he make it only 5%-10% profit and after eBid selling fees he makes it a little less of that % too.

He is selling for someone else these items, he doesn’t invest own money in advance in these items he pays own supplier only after each items are sold if not sold he not pay nothing for items which are not sold in time, so not too much risk to list in that way without investing in advance own money.

And that is big differences between that way and other seller’s who has similar items and invest first own money in these items because of simple things: He can list much cheaper selling price versus seller’s who invest own money and can’t go down for price because is going to lost own invested money in the items, already that supplier give to him selling cheaper price vs others seller’s price and he can go down even much less for price and still earn that ”little” profit.

Well, after all is true he selling that amount of the money BUT he doesn’t make it any living from these sales because with that little % from profit he need to sell about 10 times more a minimum from this day monthly sales to make it really living, from 2,000 GBP he need to pay back 90%-95% money to own supplier and keep it rest for self.

In the end it is true he makes that sale but in which way and how much is very different from way he already write and try from that writing to ”recruit” new seller’s to join but from the beginning these all seller’s who join it will be in big disadvantage vs him because like I already write it will be in hole for selling price vs him and for invested own money in first place, in my opinion only seller’s who can find owns supplier like him and DON’T pay in advance nothing for the items can try to compete with selling price for all other I ”doubt”.

Other seller’s I will not mention because many others don’t ell even one item for bigger consumers market in whole world.

Some of is sold but this is ”pocket change” not living.

I think I understand what you are saying, but you are wrong. I have 3 rooms full of stock, all paid for by me and waiting to be sold. As for profit margins I have figures that I aim for and if I do not think I will achieve them I will not bother, in fact I have 2 figures a % figure and a monetary value, after all why spend time listing an item if you make 50% but only pennies an item. I will say that I have one item currently listed where the mark-up is a rather nice 6000%, but that was a single item that I got at a ridiculously low price. I am on eBid to build a business that will eventually provide a living, I am not there to pass the time and as such the aim is to make a worthwhile profit. I remember Duncan Bannatyne saying ‘Sales for vanity, profits for sanity’, and I consider myself to be a relatively sane person.

• Don AKA Pink Panther

Zeljko says

Hi Dzambo!
    I recognize your writing! 😉 🙂 🙂

• Zeljko

You can say whatever you like but if anyone look how much your all items worth (selling price) can figure out very easy and IF you pay for all that in advance you must be very rich man to invest in advance that kind of amount (bought price) or if your supplier sells to you any high priced items for couple GBP and you resell that for couple hundred % of that, I think that or these suppliers have these all items for FREE otherwise all supplier will not make anything from selling to you in advance.

Especially brand name items or expensive market price items, where in world you can find supplier who can sell to you for couple GBP and you resell for couple hundred % of that buying price.
    It is not make any sense because any supplier will not make any money or profit from you if sell to you for these prices.

In the end I stay with my statement: You sell all that( my congratulation to you) BUT not in way you trying to explain, you still make profit but that is just ”a margin little profit” not enough for living.

Better to explain to any potential member on eBid how it is for real, otherwise all these new guy’s will be very surprised what will wait for these guy’s what is expectations.

And as usual if explanation is not correct these guy’s will write all around various reply’s for eBid and negative stuff because ”thanks” to unrealistic comments from eBid members.

If anyone don’t figure out that after 15 years will never figure out.

Actually I have to disagree with you here. The thing is if you’re clever at sourcing there are massive profits to be made (whether on eBay, eBid, Amazon or elsewhere). I sold online full time for over 8 years and I had a very decent income.

The thing is you’re talking like a small time seller who hasn’t a clue how to source stock at good margins. Think like a retailer – do you honestly think High Street shops don’t make massive margins? Why shouldn’t an online retailer make the same margins?

As it happens I was talking to Andy today and he has built his business exactly the same way that I built mine (with the exception that I sold on eBay and Andy sells on eBid). I’m more than willing to believe Andy has a ton of stock all paid for and all with great profit margins. Doesn’t make him rich, just means he’s smart enough to run a profitable viable business in the way a business should be run.

• Zeljko

Well Chris, this all will be true a 100% IF he doesn’t write already before how much on average he makes profit and how much on average % he has for profit after pay suppliers ”of course” after he sells each item not before that. And that’s is only couple months ago.

But now he changes ”tunes” for whatever reason is, but that’s ok with me again I just saying my opinion and what I think for about that, just relax guy’s and enjoy reading various stuff.

And for suppliers in my opinion nobody I mean nobody can compete with big retails for about high value items or branded names because simple seller can buy couple hundreds or even thousands items BUT big retail will buys in ”millions” each same items and you think legal all around suppliers will give to you similar reselling price like for big retails I think not.

But if these items come from Chinese suppliers, that is different story. I will not for example took the risk and being sued.

In the end personally I still think Andy has the good supplier and selling good stuff all original BUT I still think he does business in exactly way how he writes before which is mean: Suppliers give to him item and after he sold each item he keeps % from that each sale for self, and how much ? I don’t think that much.

Some items probably cheap reselling items he pay in advance but not any high value items.

Again this is what I think in normal conversation in here ”without” writing bad words for anyone or if I don’t like someone writings I will attack him with bad words, Well, I never do that.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

I can only speak for myself, and what I say is correct. I have purchased many of those items at really great prices. A couple of examples for you. I bought 24 pairs of women’s Nike shorts at a cost of £0.00 + £3.99 shipping once. That was due to an error, the price dropped every few days and reached zero. I have had other items at that price or close to that from that supplier. I also obtained about 30 pairs of genuine women’s Tommy Hilfiger jeans for £2.97 a pair, they quickly sold at about £15 a pair. I do not get deals like those all the time, but often enough. So no matter what you think you are wrong. It has taken a number of years to find suppliers and learn a few tricks to get great deals, but the are there.

• Gary

Time is a sellers most valuable commodity. ebay sellers value it. ebid sellers do not.

How do the hourly profit returns on ebid campare with ebay? I would suggest that a company employing staff and paying wages with these fixed costs and listing items exclusively on ebid would soon have cash flow issues.

How many ebid sellers are more than 1 person businesses? Are there any?