How to find Royal Mail Detailed Tracking

By Chris Dawson August 22, 2013 - 8:05 am

Simon of Maldon Jewellery aims to help his customers by providing tracking information in emails. Today he’s got some useful tips on how to achieve this and get the most out of Royal Mail’s tracking.

Royal Mail Track and TraceSimon explains that if you want to track a parcel sent through Royal Mail you’ll probably got to their home page and enter your tracking number. You’ll end up at www.royalmail.com/track-trace which simply tells you if your parcel is delivered or still in the system.

However there’s a much more useful tracking service at www.royalmail.com/trackdetails which will tell you where your parcel is along it’s route. Not only does this enable you to give detailed tracking information to customers that request it, but you can also send them the information up front.

Simon had a play with URLs and discovered that the following format will auto insert the tracking number and display comprehensive tracking information.

Simply replace AA000100019GB with your valid Royal Mail tracking number and email the URL to your customers. The image above shows the information detail that they’ll be presented with.

Pretty neat and something I didn’t know, so we really appreciate Simon sharing the information, but he didn’t stop there. Simon shared another of his favourite sites – www.trackitonline.ru. This site gives detailed tracking information for the UK, Russia, Canada, US and Australia.

Two great tracking tips from Maldon Jewellery, if you’ve got any great time saving, information gathering or service related tips to share drop us an email as we’d love to write about them on Tamebay.

Interestingly I got a message from an Australian customer and said “Wheres my item, I can’t track it.”

I used the new link and it showed the parcel history. It appears it took 2 weeks to get from Chelmsford to Leeds before getting on it’s journey to Aus.

Another phone call to Royal Mail B-)

21/08/13 10:02 DELIVERED AUSTRALIA
    19/08/13 13:17 RECEIVED AT OESYDNEY AUSTRALIA SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
    15/08/13 AM DESPATCHED TOSYDNEY AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA
    14/08/13 15:11 DESPATCHABLE TOHWDC AIRSURE LEEDS MAIL CENTRE
    14/08/13 12:13 COLLECTED LEEDS MAIL CENTRE
    29/07/13 18:46 DESPATCHABLE TOHWDC AIRSURE CHELMSFORD MAIL CENTRE
    29/07/13 18:18 COLLECTED CHELMSFORD MAIL CENTRE

============================

One last thing I discovered yesterday re Special Delivery.
    Sent Special delivery parcel Monday.
    Arrived Wednesday.
    24 hours late.
    While I was on the phone about another issue I told Royal Mail I had refunded the customer the extra postage charge so how do I go about reclaiming from them.

I said, would I have to fill in their lovely 2 page form.
    You can he said OR wait for it…..

When the parcel is actually signed for and on Royal Mail’s tracking online and can be shown as late, they will refund you over the phone. He told me they can refund back to our OBA – PPI account if we wanted.

I haven’t gotten any further with this yet as not had time but I’ll see how it goes.

In the past I just don’t have the time to fill in the forms and put it down to part of life and business but if it’s just a phone call, then won’t too too long.

Please remember this only applies to Royal Mail Special Delivery.

ttfn
    Simon

• Lynne

I had the same with a special delivery and they dealt with it over the phone and sent me a cheque with the refund postage.

I use Special Delivery a lot – the only time I had a problem (a day late) was on the rare occasion I had to send a £25.80 parcel – luckily I was using the service more for the £500 insurance – as per the above I phoned up – using saynoto0870 to get the real number – and had a cheque for £25.80 sent to me shortly afterwards!

To follow up my Royal Mail refund story.
      I phoned up Royal Mail on Friday and told the lady I would like a refund completed over the phone as per what I had been told and she said no.
      According to her I would have to fill in the form to claim it back.
      I told her that when I spoke to her colleague I was informed that it could be refunded to my OBA account.
      She went away and returned shortly to tell me again no, I had to fill in the form.
      I took her name and she nervously gave it to me.

I was too busy to follow it up on Monday so phoned RM back today Tuesday and as soon as I mentioned a late Special Delivery the lady said, without me prompting her, that she would process the refund.

I told her of my experience on Friday and she asked if I took the name. I gave that to here and I seconds she identified her and assured me that it would be looked into.

The refund was completed very quickly over the phone and our OBA account SHOULD be refunded.

One thing to mention though, is that there is a 10 day window to claim your special delivery fee back. I didn;t realise and the nice lady told me I was on the ninth day and just something to be aware of.

I think this just goes to show that, like ANY business, it depends who you speak to. Always get peoples names, dates and times.
      ttfn