Amazon introduce minimum £10 order value

By Chris Dawson July 23, 2013 - 9:04 am

Amazon Shopping Cart smAmazon.co.uk have introduced a £10 minimum spend to qualify for Free Super Saver Delivery in a number of product categories. The change is effective from today and means that you’ll have to pay for carriage or subscribe to Amazon Prime for low value deliveries.

Orders that include books, DVDs, Blu-rays, music, video games and software products continue to qualify for Free Super Saver Delivery with no minimum spend threshold. For all other orders, a minimum total spend of £10 is now required to qualify for Free Super Saver Delivery.

Amazon say that “Whilst the change will affect only a very small proportion of orders, it will allow us to offer you a significantly expanded selection of lower priced products“.

This change relates specifically to Free Super Saver Delivery and all other delivery services including Amazon Prime remain unchanged.

This really isn’t a surprise, we already noted that the minimum order value for Amazon add-on items had changed to £10 earlier this month and many more products were included in the add-on programme.

It all relates to costs – Amazon have been far to generous with free deliveries for many years and undoubtedly it’s cost them a ton of cash to subsidise deliveries. Now, with rising postal costs, they’ve had to pull the plug and start looking at profits.

What it does mean is that if you’re an FBA seller then buyers will effectively have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, pay for carriage, order a minimum of £10 worth of goods, or of course purchase a media product to go with their sub-£10 product to qualify for free Super Saver Delivery.

• Jason

Good. Now they can start paying their taxes.

• Martin Davies

How do you know they aren’t paying their taxes?

• Mark

Great news for sellers of sub-£10 items who self fulfil though – it makes their items look better value as they can still offer free postage…

• Stuart

Annoyingly we have just sent a shed load of items to Amazon for FBA, I think this is really bad that there has been no warning from account managers in FBA that this was going to happen. 80% of our products are under £10! I just put an item in the checkout for £5.99 and it wants to charge me £6.01 for delivery.

Be really interested as to how it impacts sales if you have some data in a week or so.

The interesting part is that there are a ton of books and DVDs on Amazon for under four quid and if a buyer adds one of them to their order they still get free Super Saver Delivery!

• Mark

Search for “Wordsworth Classics” and you will find lots of paperback books for under £2. This includes the 1024 page “War and Peace”!

• Roger

So how much is the 1st class delivery?

Two of my summer item seems still doing the same so far.

• Roger

Just found out the cost for delivery is £6.01 for my item. The sale has drop a bit but in return I made more profit, as each sale with postage £6.01, I made extra £1 after the shipping chargeback (£5.01). £1 more on a £5 product is a lot.

• Hereford United fan

I am not sure you have made any money. I think the £1 is VAT. £6 is £5 net of VAT.

• Roger

I will do some math later and have a feeling you might be right. Anyway the sale for mulitple did increased, which help ranking then help sale.

• Julius Oliveti
  • bonusb

I’ve just increased the price of my FBA stock from £4.99 to £5.