How good are today’s young employees?

By Chris Dawson March 12, 2013 - 5:41 pm

Feet on desks, hung over, no interest in learning, arrogant – That’s the impression that the latest round of college graduates are giving PayPal.

Louise PhelanAccording to Louise Phelan, PayPal Vice President today’s breed of University Graduates are arriving in the work place with a “sense of entitlement” and no appetite for learning the skills needed in the modern workplace. Walking out of college into a job having everything handed to them on a plate, then missing their targets but still expect to be promoted is not the attitude that employers like PayPal want.Louise points out that whilst having a college degree was once exceptional, it’s fast becoming the norm as governments encourage students to enter higher education.

It’s a bit of a damning assessment of our latest entrants to the workplace, but one which sadly might actually be right. Hopefully not, but what about your business? Do you have employees and are the hard working, flexible, willing to learn and presentable? Or is Louise right and we’re raising a generation of people unwilling to put themselves out, work hard, and fit into the workplace?

Someone, somewhere is doing something wrong, and whether it be parents, schools, universities and colleges or previous employers, it would appear that graduates are not well prepared for the workplace. To be fair Louise did say that many graduates looking for a job with PayPal worked hard and got on, but many simply don’t come up to the mark.

There may be something in the law about ageism in the workplace written into law (I’m not up to speed with Irish employment regulations), but if what Louise says is true than you might just be better off employing staff from an older generation.

Should it be the task of employers to teach people how to conduct themselves in the workplace and teach them that the world doesn’t owe them a living, or are the youth of today to remain unemployed and possibly unemployable?

• TheShopkeeper

Perhaps if PayPal had better selection processes they wouldn’t end up with muppets for staff? We have young staff who are dedicated, flexible, hardworking and everything else you’d want from any member of staff, regardless of their age. Stereotyping all young employees shows how useless PayPal are and how they’re never going to be good at attracting good staff – if I was young and ambitious I wouldn’t want to work there. Would you?

I left School in 1968 and went to work for Rolls-Royce in Derby as a Commercial Student. I did 6 months a year working inside RR and 6 months at College. I seem to remember that similar critisisms of youngsters entering the world of work were around back then.

In fact RR had a saying “That it took 2 years from entering RR for a College Graduate to be Useful to the business”. It took that long to get them out of the bad habits that they had learnt at College.

In fact while I was at RR there were 2 walk-outs. Neither particularly serious and both were over in minutes but what makes then interesting was that they were both caused by the same young member of staff who had recently joined RR straight from College.

Before anybody asks I cannot remember his name but it is possible that now he is some highly respected Industrialist.

Its just a fact of life that Youngsters straight from College take time to adapt to the World of Work. It has always been so and probably always will.

Going back to my time at RR in the 1960’s & 70’s. I worked for a while(a short while) with a real bunch of idiots. RR at the time had a policy of sponsoring Students at University and Guaranteeing a Job at the end of their Course when they had their Degree.

There was little regard to what the degree was. So you could be doing a course in Ancient Chinese Mythology and RR would still sponsor you. So the Student would turn up with their degree in their hand and demand their Job. RR would try to find a suitable position. But there were a number of failures. RR just could not find a suitable job. So RR had a “Dustbin” Department where they would put the Graduates while they tried to find a suitable job for them. As a young Trainee Accountant I found myself attached to this Department for a specific Project.

The bloke I was working for NEVER got to the Office before 10 am. He always locked the keys of my desk in his desk overnight. So I could not start work until he arrived for work. He demanded that I sit bolt upright with an empty desk in front of me waiting for him.

At the time I was on the Executive of the RR Apprentice Association. So I took the opportunity to spend this hour doing Apprentice Association work. He went ballistic every morning because I dared to be working before he got to the Office and kept moaning to my Training Officer for being rude and disobeying him etc(I probably was but I saw little point in sitting doing nothing for an hour). Eventually he broke so many RR Rules on such as security that he has sacked on the spot and escorted to the door and told never to come back again. I must admit that that day I laughed like a drain. I wonder if Paypal have found any idiots like him or is it just drinks and Hangovers(This is Ireland we are talking about)that they have problems with.

• puddleglum

,total waffle and dribble when you contact support is any evidence of their attitude we agree

• Gary

I worked in an environment for 10 years where customer was king and staff were subserviant to customers. No evidence of that at Paypal or eBay. They get the staff they deserve. “Feet on desks, hung over, no interest in learning, arrogant” – hmmm…..

• puddleglum

the customer is king, if your an ebay buyer,
      if your an ebay seller your a target for abuse,fraud and deception, its now starting to become a competition with us on how many fiddling pillocks we can beat and outwit, it helps little when you ask for help from paypal staff who look to hinder rather than help

I think it looks highly unprofessional of her to make such a sweeping, unintelligent statement.

I rather agree with the notion that if these are the people she’s finding at PayPal, then there is something very wrong with the hiring process.

• Gary

Maybe Louise Phelan should move the Paypal offices from Ireland to the UK perhaps?

And ebay should to if they feel the same way about the staff they recruit.

If you base yourself in a low tax location then you can hardly be critical of the standard of the staff you recruit. Seems like ebay and paypal want their cake and want to eat it also.

• Darren

The young people coming out of education are lazy, with little work ethic; have no time keeping; and think one day they will win the X factor and be rich. The solution is for schools to prepare kids for live in business.

• puddleglum

to be honest after dealing with ebay/ paypal support over the years, paypal and ebay obviously attract the not so bright or dont pay enough,

• Hereford United fan

I think their main problem is facial piercings!

The Irish Independent has an article today giving graduate’s responses to the PayPal article – they’re not impressed!

• Gary

The real issue here is that Paypal and ebay are based in Ireland. If you base yourself in a low tax country you should accept the consequences. Not complain about them.

And anyway how do such remarks motivate their existing workforce?

On the subject of employing older folk has anybody here ever had any contact with any ebay/Paypal member of staff who gives the impression that they are over 40?

There is either:-

a) a sense that ebay/Paypal are ageist

b) a sense that older folk have got more sense than to work for ebay/paypal

“The real issue here is that Paypal and ebay are based in Ireland. If you base yourself in a low tax country you should accept the consequences.”

What does that mean? are you saying countries with competitive tax levels create thickos?

• Gary

Countries with low tax levels have less to spend per head on education, health, social care, etc. and all those things that make a society tick.

It is hypocritical of ebay/paypal to base itself in such a country whilst at the same time condemning the state systems of that country.

“The state systems in place in the UK is what makes Great Britain a great place to base your business and Paypal/ebay should take note!”

You’re right, I wake up everyday thanking the gods that I live here. The envy of the world.

• Jason

I can imagine it being incredibly boring working at Paypal so not surprised.

• Clarky

I would imagine it would suit the sadists among us…

…Sorry, we could help you but today happens to be “give buyer a full refund” day.

PayPal

PayPal Working Capital is a merchant cash advance linked directly to your PayPal account.