Free Cross border listings start in November

By Chris Dawson October 31, 2012 - 11:18 am

Tomorrow marks a big day for eBay and for UK sellers. It’s the start of November which marks the month in which eBay Anchor shop owners can start selling across Europe with free insertion fees from their UK eBay account.

Sites you’ll be able to list on are Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium (benl.ebay.be/ and befr.ebay.be/, Poland, Switzerland and Ireland. In addition to the European sites UK sellers will also be able to list on eBay Australia for free and eBay.com for just $0.03 per listing (matching the lowest price a US seller can access).

An Anchor shop isn’t cheap at £349.99 per month, but the savings are huge in comparison to the monthly fee making it a bargain. We’ve figured out that if you have as few as 100 products and wish to have 100 fixed price listings on eBay Australia, then that justifies upgrading from a Featured Shop to an Anchor shop on it’s own. If you then list on all 10 EU sites, the cost savings are massive. Plus you can then access the fixed price listings on eBay.com for just $0.03 per listing.

eSellerPro are hosting two webinars to help you understand the changes, tomorrow on the 1st of November at 11am Introducing Cross Border Trade and the second on the 6th of November again at 11am for those already Cross Border selling if you want to expand and uplift your sales.

Mark the dates in your diary and book early to reserve a spot as places are limited. There’ll be cross border trade experts from eBay and eSellerPro on board to answer any questions you have.

Just as update for you all. Ebay customer support has told me that the date has been pushed back to 6th November 2012.
    I wanted some more information about whether I had to opt in and was told yes, BUT from the 6th November check EBAY ACCOUNT, SUBSCRIPTIONS then click on OPT IN.

Then it should be that ALL listings that have applicable postage options will be displayed and of course as long as you meet all the requirements.

Will be interesting to see if there is a sudden jump in international orders.

Kind regards Simon

• JD

‘Then it should be that ALL listings that have applicable postage options will be displayed and of course as long as you meet all the requirements’

I am not quite understanding that in the context of direct listings for Anchor sellers on the other eBay sites.

Just to confirm the ratecard will enable sellers to list (if they chose to) for free on EU and AU and for 0.03 on US site. The seller will still have to create the listings.

Postage options etc you will set as the seller when you launch your listings on overseas sites, but they’re not a determining factor in where your listing is displayed. You choose the site as a “list on eBay.xx” by logging into the country site, in Turbolister, or in your third party management tool.

This is news to me as when I spoke to EBAY customer services yesterday they said they listings would AUTOMATICALLY be available on those sites.

I’ll have to give them another call as I didn;t realise I have to list separately on each site.

• Mike

This is a bit of an odd one for me…

I list around 1,000 new collectables each month starting as auctions, then reverting to BIN if I don’t get interest within two weeks.

I worked-out that I spend about £340 a month in listing fees (before my discount and VAT refund etc…) and I do about 50% of my sales abroad anyway without direct listing.

I would sign-up for the anchor shop, but I’m really not sure if it’s an advantage for the business. I would prefer a lower monthly charge, say £250 all-in, that would do it for me..

• Mike

Add-on to the above… of course, none of my auction sales would be free listings, so I would be paying “double-bubble”

Really don’t understand why eBay don’t include free anchor shop listings for auctions too… I guess they want everybody to do BIN.

However, they are missing a trick as some auctions (mine are a case in point) generate a lot of unexpected turnover as there’s no agreed price for what I sell – and I would list a lot more if the auction fees weren’t so high.

The question to ask yourself is how many items do you have unsold on auction now on BIN and would those BINs sell faster if they were listed on multiple eBay sites for free? The answer to that question (which probably needs backing up with tests) will tell you whether the Anchor store deal would work for you.

• Gary

Surely shipping costs from a UK based fulfilment operation would make any item for sale outside the UK uncompetitive compared with locally sourced competition.

If Tesco and Argos won’t ship outside the UK and therefore won’t want to use this facility with their outlet operations what chance smaller sellers benefitting with higher sales?

Trust me, there are plenty of UK sellers shipping to the EU, and around the world and they don’t find the cost of shipping makes them uncompetitive. It can be about as cheap to ship on a 2-3 day service to the EU as it is to ship next day within the UK

• rick

if you ship outside the EU you can be competitive by 20% less Vat

Argggg.
    Someone please advise me.
    We currently list on ebay.co.uk
    As far as I am aware we automatically get listed on wherever ebay wants to list us in addition to ebay.co.uk as we specify worldwide postage on pretty much ALL listings apx 6000.
    With this cross border trade that allows you to list all your listings on EACH INDIVIDUAL EBAY EUROPES SITE and ebay.AUS is there any point in us individually listing on all the sites.

I use channelgrabber to handle stock for ebay, amazon and website.

As each site will probably use a new 10 digit id I’m just interested in how it’s all supposed to work.

If I have a
    SKU of SKU1234 listed on EBAY UK, FR, DE AU

will the quantity be reduced on all sites by ebay or will CG do it.

There doesn;t seem to be any information that I can find on how it’s all going to work.

Why would ebay spend lots of money promoting cross border trade if any UK company that has worldwide postage showing is having their listing shown to all those countries anyway.

Don’t know if I;m making sense
    B-)

There are a number of benefits on listing on all sites individually.

1) Visibility becomes a certainty as you’ll be “listed on” instead of “available to”.

2) You can translate your listing into the local language.

3) You can list in the local currency.

4) You can list with the exact Item Specifics in the correct category, which whilst they match across many EU sites the same can’t be said of the US and Australia.

As far as management goes, hopefully all of the multichannel management programs will be able to deplete your stock if it sells on a different eBay platform, in the same manner as they should do if you sell on both eBay and Amazon.

Thankyou Chris.
      This is why I use Tamebay.
      Information that I can trust.

When I asked channelgrabber I got
      ===========
      Hi Simon,

If eBay says it will work, then there is no reason why it shouldn’t.
      If you need more clarification on this, please contact eBay directly.

There is an article here;

Should you need any more assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
      ===========================

Make of the above what you will but note the date and .com .

Ebay haven’t been much better I’m sad to say, usually they are very knowledgeable. One said it’s automated and the second today, I could barely understand and no it wasn’t Irish as usually they are very clear, couldn’t answer what was the point of me listing individually to all EU EBAY SITES and AUS. He asked for 1 item id and confirmed it showed on Australia EBAY.
      Well obviously that must confirm the other 5999 items too.

Thanks for your knowledge Chris.
      ttfn
      Simon

• rick

there are problems to,
    currency. shipping.. language , time zones, paypal cross border fees, exchange rates, etc etc

Thanks Rick.
      Cross Border fees is a good one to note.
      I just signed up on ebay for international selling just to see the process. I agreed to their terms etc and then thought where can I try this out.
      I went to EBAY Australia.
      Logged in.
      Went to active and it showed all my listings that I was currently listing on ebay.co.uk

So obviously pointless me listing again.

I wonder if I was to list all my listings on ebay AUS whether I would get a dupe listing warning. If not and you can list on all EU and AUS for free then the big players will be able to have umpteen listings across every platform that would probably be shown to each others ebay sites.

I’ll stop going on about this now.
      ttfn
      Simon

• rick

not to forget if a Aussie buyer purchases on an item listed on the UK site you have the moral high ground with shipping costs and delivery time, if the purchase on the Australian site their not going to be happy waiting weeks, plus the only advantage we can see from listing on an international site direct is to avoid uk vat

Not sure if you meant this below re VAT or not.
      If you can PROVE that your item has been shipped outside the EU, IE Keep the postal receipt, then you DON’T have to pay VAT on the sale of the item.
      This also applies to Companies that are registered in the EU.

I don’t think Royal Mail also has VAT on the charges for items dispatched outside the EU.

So whether you list on ebay UK or AU or whatever the same rules would apply BUT I wonder if you may have to declare your taxes in the country you are directly listing on.
      B-)

No, but the buyer does.

It’s the same as if you buy something from outside the EU, you’re liable to pay customs and tax for your import.

Dohhhh !! (Homer styley Stupid of course)

Didn’t think of that one.!!!!

B-))

• rick

plus An international buyer pays the exchange rate if they buy in £s on the UK site

Hi Chris, what is the Maths behind the claim that 100 items listed on ebay.au makes a £350 Anchor Shop monthly fee worthwhile? I’m not familiar with ebay.au listing fees, but are they really charging £3.50 per listing?

Not sure of the benefit when with my settings I list well up in Australia searches using my UK listing.

Just rechecked the figures… it’s actually about 130 listings with today’s exchange rates on xe.com

Aussie site charges AUS$3 per listing (if the value is over $100, which it invariably will be for a multiple quantity listing).

That’s a £2 per listing in UK money, so if you take £350, knock off the fifty quid you pay for your UK shop, divide the balance of £300 by say £2.30 (Aus £2, UK 10p, Germany 10p and France 10p) you get about 130 listings as a break even point. Add in more EU sites or US listings at US$0.03 and the break even point is even lower.

• Rich

Couldn’t resist answering to this one as I am an international seller operating on 4 sites.
    The advice given is basically sound: it is much better to list on individual sites, traffic increases exponentially, moreover you make pick up extra sales from the other sites.
    But, a common strong opinion is that you should open one account for each site, and a corresponding store.
    If you have gleaned experience from the UK site, you may be surprised that other sites do not match up to UK standards on nearly all fronts.
    A key area of concern must be INR, which can be high even in countries such as Germany. Certainly I am very selective where I advertise having been burnt once too often.
    And also be prepared for a rougher ride regarding feedback on other sites too, most notably USA.

• rick

plus it depends what you sell

if I were a US buyer/ Dr Who Anorak looking for Daleks, I would look directly on the UK site