eBay test larger gallery images in search

By Chris Dawson June 20, 2012 - 11:16 am

eBay appear to be testing new sizes for Gallery images in search results. Normally on eBay you’d expect images to be displayed at a maximum size of 140 x 140 pixels, but I’ve spotted images which appear to be 180 x 180 pixels and even 225 x 225 pixels.

In order to accommodate the new image sizes the postage cost has been moved from it’s own column to appear below the item price, which to be honest looks better and makes more sense. It seems easier for me to add a column of figures to get a total price than to add two side by side numbers.

There is a disadvantage to the new gallery size, on my particular laptop on the old view I see four listings on the screen when scrolling through search results but with 180 pixel images I can only fit three and a bit images on the page. Doubtless eBay will be running tests to compare sales results between the image sizes which is why it’s highly likely you’re still seeing 140 pixel images.

If you want to see the new image sizes you’ll want to clear your cookies and refresh the page, but be warned – the test group seems to be relatively small so you may need to do this a number of times before you get served a test page.

Having larger gallery images shouldn’t impact your listing process, you should already be aiming to have images at least 1600 pixels and preferably cropping them to a 1600 pixel square image to take full advantage of the size displayed on the listing page.

What do you think of the larger gallery images? Do you prefer to see bigger images in search so that you can see the product better or would you sacrifice the thumbnail size in order to see more listings with less scrolling?

The page is horrible. It’s hard to start a new search. They hid the links to completed listings, and quite honestly force a new learning curve to many that might very well give up and shop elsewhere.
    CS is clueless of the test page. Best they should run the Beta page before CS Supervisors before rolling it out to the public .. at least then they would not be in the dark. eBay should also offer an opt out opt in link so we can do a REAL search, then go back and play in their sandbox.
    I vote NO on the change.

It would be nice to have ebay alter this for the screen size of the user.
    A 140px image is fine on a laptop screen. On one of the 17ins screens I have at the unit set a ridiculously high resolution and at home on a 22ins monitor they look lost, as do the titles.

Scaling may be the answer to the problem: Small screen area = small images and title. Large screen area = larger images and title

Simples!

• John Pemberton

A picture tells a thousand words…bigger the better

• MARK

Gotta agree with John! The bigger the better.

• acollector

My comments as a collector:
    – Scrolling takes too much time.
    – They have taken away the high resolution images. On a few pictures I could not see the details I needed and I moved on.

This test ended with an early departure and no items selected.