You have money in your PayPal account

By Chris Dawson May 18, 2012 - 10:31 am

I’ve obviously not been spending enough on eBay recently – PayPal have just emailed me informing me that I’ve got money in my PayPal account!

That’s not unusual, I’ve had a balance in my PayPal account for as long as I can remember, although I’ve been using it less frequently of late. I’m not going to withdraw the balance either – it’s handy for when I want to buy something on eBay.

It makes sense for PayPal to contact people with balances in their accounts though, no point having the money sitting in PayPal’s account when they could be earning fees from payments. Even if it’s in an interest bearing account 3.4% plus 20p per transaction is probably more profitable than the paltry rate of interest the banks are paying these days.

Sadly I’m about to list some old laptops on eBay for sale so the balance will probably grow rather than shrink, but thanks for the reminder PayPal, much appreciated 🙂

• Robert Mansell

This is the paypal £$ problem. I personally have money sitting there as well, because I can’t find as many bargains as I used to on ebay.

It’s obvious as to why there aren’t as many bargains, ebay have been taking a larger and larger slice of the fee pie over time. This has resulted in people spending less, so money is taken out of ebay.

The worst thing they did was bring in all the large business and kneeled down to their power because that money through paypal was always going to be taken out of ebay/paypal and not reinvested.

Just another bad move by ebay and this was very shortsighted.

• Craig

Totally agree, Ebay went down hill in my opinion when they opened the door to businesses. Roll on the next 100 free listings weekend for private sellers, its the only time decent stuff comes onto Ebay. Back to the topic, I ALWAYS withdraw my balance and fund EVERY purchase with a credit card inc Ebay fees. If PayPal want to charge ridiculous fees then they can work for it.

• William Durham

Why does PayPal charge the seller 3.4% plus 20p for transfering a buyers payment from their PayPal account,into the Sellers PayPal account? surly that is excessive?

• Duncan

William, it’s avarice and sheer bloody arrogance.

• Dan Wilson

A timely reminder. I have withdrawn my balance. Better off in my bank account… when it arrive some time next week.

• st georges dragon

we best download before the tax man thinks its his lol

• Claude

Is this email a spoof? I got one this morning, address was paypal@e.paypal.co.uk

That’s a paypal.co.uk domain so not a spoof…. and I do have money in my PayPal account 😀

• Claude

The anti phishing site millersmiles says it is a phishing email: http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/email/anthony-creacall-you-have-money-in-your-paypal-account-paypal

I’m in two minds, seems legit using my full name, but just seemed a strange email for paypal to send, especially having the “forgotten your password” box very prominently displayed.

millersmiles is wrong. The links are to PayPal domains.

However you’re right that it’s a crap email. It’s got a log on box displayed as well as the forgotten password link – PayPal should know better than to encourage people to click log on details from emails.

It’s crap spell checking too – if you check the email subject line it reads “Chris Dawson, you have moneyin your PayPal account”. Dunno about you but “moneyin” is generally two words according to my dictionary 😀

Just because the email doesn’t try to steal from you right now doesn’t mean it isn’t a spoof. For instance I could create a completely legitimate email right now and pretend it came from PayPal. By providing the potential victim with perfectly safe messages that violate PayPal’s “no links in emails” and “spell everything correctly” policies you train the user to feel safe clicking links and then one day swap out the links with bad ones.

• JohnC

Had one too. Why send it at all, I use the account every day and, as others have said, why do things officially that make phishing emails easier to hide?

• Richard

Crazy. An email that’s does all the things that you should be aware of in phishing emails.

Not quite sure why I got one on my main account which has money going in and out of it many times everyday.

• Gerry007

Slightly OT, but I also get emails from 2 of the credit cards I have. Each month reminding me ‘I can spent upto £****’.

Must need the business…

• Fozz

We had this too , but deleted it , assuming it was a spoof.
    Maybe the way to spot spoofs in the future will be that they are the well written emails , and the poorly crafted ones are from paypal.

• Admiral_Kang

Same here. I know jolly well that I have money in the account, so I thought it was from some scammer wanting to remove the money for me. The only thing that I found odd was that they addressed me by name – now I see why. Thanks for posting this, Chris 🙂

• Luke

I got one of them yesterday too, I was convinced it was a spoof.

• Mark

If only the ‘you are approaching your balance limit’ emails I get were fake!