London 2012 Olympic Torches attract £100k bids on eBay

By Dan Wilson May 19, 2012 - 9:25 pm

London 2012 Olympic Flame lighting ceremony
photo credit London 2012
The Olympic flame only arrived in Britain on Friday and the London 2012 Torch Relay enjoyed its first stages on Saturday in Cornwall and Devon. But already, official London 2012 Olympic torches are for sale on eBay.

Two auctions, which include the official Olympic torch and the bearer’s white tracksuit uniform, already have bids in excess of 100k. Other auctions for the torches and the tracksuits are attracting lower prices. One hopeful eBay seller has opted to include a Buy in Now Price of £175k.

There will be 8000 different relay runners over the next few weeks and each runner will have the chance to buy their individual torch once the gas canister is taken out and the burner deactivated.

The torches consist of an inner and an outer aluminium alloy skin held in place by a cast top  and base. The torches have a gold finish and the 8000 circular holes in each torch represent the 8000 runners.

• Gerry007

Personally I think this is discussing.

As London business tax payers we’ve paid a fortune into the costs of the Olympics & now these favoured few are getting all the ££s for doing a short run.

Ebay should have banned any sales till at least after the Olympics, if allowed at all.

I also wonder how many actually do have a torch, oh dear, Paypal, I smell some claims coming on…!!

• Gerry007
  • Gerry007

And so it is, just a picture. That certainly strikes me as something on which eBay should intervene.

• Gerry007

There appears to be a ryam[?] of people putting torch in the title, but t hen stating photo in the description.

Some buyers are clearly not reading the descriptions.

I have thoughtfully offered my own tips to Olympic Torch sellers: http://www.wilsondan.co.uk/2012/05/21/5-tips-for-london-2012-olympic-torch-sellers-on-ebay/

• st georges dragon

bloody good luck to those that are selling the torch, lots of those torch bearers have major health problems , and the money will enhance their life more than a torch which may be reproduced or lose it value overnight

• st georges dragon

if the tickets were for nothing ,if Beckham were making nothing from the games, if seb and boris were hungry and cold, I would agree the torch is an honour not to be sold, but why should the little man not grab his chance of a few quid from the games

Absolutely agree with you!

• Gerry007

I have no problem with sellers getting loads of £s then donating it to charity or a good cause.

This also applies to people with disabilities/health problems.

• st georges dragon

latest news on the torch its in england and its expecting weather in fact its going to get some weather for the next 7, weeks

• Chris

From what I gather the Olympic Torches cost some £495 to manufacture. The price of £199 is heavily subsidised by the Olympic Organisers(who of course are very heavily subsidised by the Taxpayer – You and Me).

As there will be 8,000 runners that means 8,000 torches(although I would expect that there are a few “spares” so let us say 10,000 were made. I find myself wondering just how many collectors of Olympic Memorabilias there are World Wide? My guess is that the number will be in excess of 10,000.

Also many of the runners will not be selling theirs. Most will keep them polished and they will live on the Mantlepiece probably with a large framed photograph of the runner carrying the torch).

So I wonder how many will appear on the market? A few hundred is my guess with 1,000 as my top estimate. So the value of the Torches that come onto the market is likely to be “interesting” but in excess of £100,000. That valuation is totally bonkers.

Will I be adding one to my collection of bits and pieces? Only if I manage to pick one up for a few pennies.

• Chris

Just in case anybodyu wonders about the spares. Just imagine that one failed to light when the previous person turned up at the handover point!! No doubt they would suggest that the previous torch be used on the next stretch. But the runner has bought it. “No your not having this one. This one is mine”. So there would need to be a few spares. Also no doubt many of the organisers are going to get one(probably without having to pay for them).

• Gerry007

Then of course, comes the replicas;

Just ordered 5000 full size one’s from china……!!!!

• Chris

I can understand the purchase of an original which was actually carried in the Torch Relay. Although I could never justify the prices being quoted.

But why would anybody want a plastic scale model? And while I cannot justify the crazy prices being quoted for an original anything over about £10 I could not justify for a plastic scale model.

• Ulysses

It is about to be discussed on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine today.

• St-georges-dragon

someone was on bbc tv this morning claiming they would not sell theirs,
      bet if I waved 100.000 spondoolicks under their snout they would

• Chris

Working on the basis that “Everybody has their price”. However st georges dragon is always stating that he is a businessman and that profit is the name of the game. How is he going to make a profit if he was to buy one for £100,000.

• st georges dragon

sell it for £110.000 as its all hypothetical

• Chris

More likely find that once the initial hype is over the best you can sell it for is perhaps £5,000.

• Gary

This is generating more publicity for ebay than its TV advertising campaign and its free!

Seems to me that so far ebay are the big winners out of the torch relay and they are not even sponsoring the event!

Let us all hope there is a halo effect on our ebay sales as they desperately need it right now!

To anyone that cares

why would you bid thousands of pounds for a 2012 olympic torch on ebay when you can just buy one from the manufacturers. Call it a replica but it would be the same.
    Premier sheet metal in coventry.
    The TPG group.