Jubilee Marmite – Ma’amite – already for sale on eBay

By Dan Wilson April 24, 2012 - 1:59 pm
Gawd bless yer Ma'am.

Love it or hate it, it’s the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee this year. Doubtless all manner of tat and memorabilia will be for sale on eBay with little of it reaching top dollar.

We don’t have any high hopes for this clever little gimmick raking it in eitherĀ even if it is cute: Marmite have produced 300k 250g jars of Marmite.

But have you seen what they’ve done? They’ve called it Ma’amite.

And quicker than you can say “yeast extract”, enterprising sellers have already put come of the pots up for sale on the eBay.

Will you be snapping up a jar?

Ohh I do love a bit of Marmite on toast!

For all our American chums I can highly recommend you get acquainted with Marmite :-D

• Chris

For all our American chums may I bring to your attention that while some like Chris Dawson love Marmite there are probably an equal number who hate it.

I would certain suggest that if you get a chance you give it a try. But do not be surprised if you find the taste totally horrible(I have heard claims that it grows on you over time). You never know you might agree with Chris Dawson that it has a magnificent taste.

It might help if you know what it is. Its a product made from the waste yeast used in the brewing industry. From what I understand the brewing industry produces(from brewing() far more yeast than it needs(the yeast reproduces during the brewing process so you end up with considerably more than you started with).

This excess yeast is processed and packaged and sold as Marmite. May I bring to your attention that I am one of those who hate Marmite.

They ‘mek it up road’ (make it close by to where I live) that one was just for Dan :-)

Yes, it is made from the by products of the brewing process, one of the other things that Burton on Trent is (was) famous for.

I love it, everyone else in the house hates it … more for me :-)

• Chris

Burton on Trent and the other thing that it was famous for.

In the good old days every one of the many Breweries in Burton had its own Railway Network with private sidings and fleets of owned steam locomotives. It had railway lines that ran down the middle of streets and lines that ran between the houses. It must have been heaven for the Industrial Railway Enthusiast.

Almost all of the raw materials for the brewing industry were brought to Burton by rail. Then it was distributed around Burton by rail(mainly the private railway networks). Then at the end of the process the Beer was distributed around the Country by rail. Even St Pancras Station in London was designed specifically so the “cellars” were a distribution centre for Beer brought to London from Burton by Rail.

Without the Railway Industry it is unlikely that Burton would have grown so dominant in the Brewing Industry.

Of course it has all changed. Many of the Breweries have gone. All the Private Railways(some of the remaining Breweries have Museums some of which have exhibits showing the old Railway Systems and even a Locomotive or two). Almost all of the distribution(that remains) is done by Road. While we still drink Beer today much of it is produced in what are in effect Chemical Works rather than traditional Breweries. Which is why organisations like The Campaign for Reral Ale(CAMRA) exist and are so large.

Now I know that st georges dragon and indeed others do not like thinking back to the past. But even they must agree that the Beer 40, 50, or more years ago was considerably better than much of the rubbish produced now. I would certainly state that the Brewing Industry and its use of the Railway Industry was certainly far more interesting that fleets of coughing diesel lorries of today

• JD

I’m off to the shed.

Bovril is the other factory not too far also the Nestle factory, nice smell of coffee around there. Burton always had a particular brewing smell in the air, I remember it well as a kid.

Bass in Burton (last I knew) was called Coors a big part of the history changed it’s name, Pedigree, Marstons all from Burton.

The Burton Bridge Brewery is still going strong as is the Marmite factory, not sure what else is left to be honest.

Interesting read about the railways etc

• st georges dragon

yeah the past is great wars , poverty ,in justice ,,disease, slavery, no votes for women and thats just the recent past !

• Chris

As usual st georges dragon has a peculiar idea of the past. Yes there were great wars but don’t we still have Wars? They may not be “Great” involving the whole World but there are many small Wars going on all the time across the globe;

Poverty I’m sorry I hadn’t noticed that Poverty had been “cured”;

disease – Well some have been cured but there are still many including such as malaria that are killing large numbers of people across the globe;

Slavery – I saw figures recently that indicated that slavery is just as prevalent across the World as it ever was – Including in the UK;

No Votes for Women – certainly there may be a few countries where women cannot Vote but for much of the World Women have been able to Vote for many years;

He mentions the recent past. Well it is certainly true that there are still problems today and the problems should be cured but it often seems as if we cure one problem only to go out and invent or develop another one. But there were very real advantages with the past. It wasn’t all doom and gloom as such as st georges dragon would have us believe.

• Chris

For our American friends Bovril is differant to Marmite. Marmite is Yeast based Bovril is a Beef based product. If you get a chance it might be worth while trying both.

• St-georges-dragon

What benefit?
      are these advantages of the past
      unless your Dr Who

• Chris

st georges dragon would have us believe that everything today is great and everything in the past was at best rubbish. Well as just about everybody knows I do not agree with this.

My view is that generally throughout history life for those living in those times was a mixture of a hard life and pleasure in probably similar proportions. Even today.

If you look around today there are many problems. The Inner Cities with the problems of violence, drug abuse, alcohol abuse. Dirt, noise etc. The rural areas with often low incomes and poverty etc.

Abroad some countries may be better some undoubtably worse. All in all it all needs a great deal of improvement but it has always been such.

Yet there were great achievements in the past. Go to almost any area and the most desirable properties are the Listed Buildings often built centuries ago. The Elizabethan Manor House and the Victorian Gentlemans Residence. All are very desirable. Much more desirable than the modern semi or bungalow on an estate.

Craftsmanship today is good but very rare. Yet only a century or so ago in almost every town and village there were highly skilled craftsmen working in wood and stone and various metals. Today the antiques that they made a very desirable.

Does anybody really believe that much of what we are making now will be desirable in a few years time. Most will be either in the local dump(or recycled) or perhaps stocking the local car boot sale.

No I totally reject the idea of st georges dragon that today everythiong is great and in the past everything was rubbish.

• St-georges-dragon

BOLLOCKS

• Chris

Probably the level of Interlectual discussion that I was expecting.

• st georges dragon

nowt much interlectual about making false claims of others as a means to rant

• Chris

The only one making “false claims” is not me. There is a very common belief today often made by the uneducated that somehow everything is great now and has been rubbish up until now. This is just not true.

• st georges dragon

uneducated = falseclaim

• Chris

Well stop using words such as at 1.1.1.1.8 if you intend to convince me of your high educational achievements.

• st georges dragon

SOD OFF !

I have never believed in polarisation.

Do I have Marmite in my cupboard? Do I ever buy it? No. See also all sorts of things.

Do I baulk at a marmite sarnie when proffered politely at a picnic? (And yes it does happen.) Needless to say no.

The marketing people of Marmite have done an amazing thing. When somthing is love or hate it is called “Marmite.”

I am in the middle. I am quite indifferent. I like it well enough but don’t seek it out.

• Chris

I cannot stand it on a sandwich. But I do know that some cooks include it in their recipes. I know that whenever I have had such a dish it tends to add to the flavour. So while I say I cannot stand it I should add that there are a few times when even I like it.

• Chris

I seem to remember a “funny” on a TV programme(please note that I was not watching the programme but it was on and I half caught the gag) about Wasps equivalent of Honey and that was supposed to be Marmite

• Marmite Lover

Is it the same as Marmite, or is it a slightly different flavour like the previous few years ‘Limited Edition’ offerings?

• Chris

Probably the only way to tell will be to buy a jar and try it. Then of course you have the problem. Do you eat it or do you keep it as a Souvenir(or perhaps you eat it and then wash out the jar and keep the jar as an interesting item in a collection of Manufacturers Promotional Material).