100 free auctions for private sellers 17-18th March

By Chris Dawson March 16, 2012 - 9:40 am

There’s another 100 free listings this weekend which the information email proudly announced as “Open to all users registered on eBay.co.uk (except business sellers and below standard sellers)“. That means it’s once again for private sellers only to you and me!

For the 17th and 18th March private sellers can list up to 100 items with a start price of £1.00 or more with free insertion fees. There are the normal conditions – no professional listing tools and a few excluded categories but other that that fill your boots and clear out your house.

I do wonder when eBay will make all auctions free for private sellers, they’re running so many promotions that the time has to come when auction insertion fees are simply waived permanently. I also wonder how many business sellers are simply using their private accounts to list whenever there’s a promotion for private sellers?

Full details of the are available on eBay so check the minutia before you list.

• Gary

It does give business sellers the chance to sell a few things on their private accounts that are not business related and that are not subject to the distant selling regs or the normal terms of business.

ebay cannot have too many complaints about that and ebay (and HMRC?) have to recognise that even business sellers have a private life.

The real issue is with the black economy “business privates” who compete against genuine business sellers for sales and who do not declare the profit to HMRC.

You could argue the “Black Economy” helps the real economy grow because cash in is then spent on goods in the real economy.

A “black Economy” is needed to help stimulate growth.

• Gary

Try telling that to the Greeks.

I’ve not had a Greek buyer for almost 2 years.

• Hereford United fan

I only get a few Greeks buying now and they mainly buy blood pressure monitors!

• Chris

At Least they are not baring Gifts!!!

• rosie

Can anyone tell me if I start an auction at 7pm what time will it end taking into account the clocks changing.I know Ebay still give you the full 24 hours, so am I right thinking it will end 8pm?
    Sorry, I confuse this every year and more than often get it wrong.
    Thank you.