One Hour Translation for your eBay listings

By Chris Dawson January 16, 2012 - 8:32 am

Cross border trade is one of the hottest topics around at the moment, and simply by adding international shipping options to your English language listing is enough to get customers from overseas buying from you.

Now however a new service offered through the eBay.com App Centre aims to translate your listings within an hour so that you can easily list on eBay International site in potential buyers own language. You can also access the app at www.onehourtranslation.com

” from 3DSellers, offers a choice of machine translation or human translation making it simple to list items with titles and descriptions translated on eBay’s various international and multi-language sites. Simply sign up for the app on eBay and you’ll only pay for the listings you have translated.

Costs are $0.10 per listing for machine translation or $0.085 per word for human translation and with 10,000 translators networked around the world you can expect into the language of your choice within an hour.

Sounds very good. Couldn’t subscribe to it though so looks like it’s for US only?

All app center programs except eBay’s Listing Analytics program (and perhaps free ones) are US only. Their site doesn’t look like they provide an alternative sign up like all my own apps (and other developers like Froo) have.

This sort of service isn’t new and there already exists a translation service in the app center. Though that one doesn’t allow for human translation and translates it right there for the buyer. If your buyers are using chrome they can already automatically machine translate your listing for free.

If you are not in the US, TameBay has advertised similar programs at least two years ago called WebInterpret. The service is probably somewhat different and states 2 days rather than 1 hour turnaround.

I will say 1 hour for a professional human translation is impressive provided that it is accurate. Does anyone here use this product and can verify that it works well? Check out this listing if you know German http://www.ebay.de/itm/poetische-Werke-Robert-Burns-kunstlerischen-Wirbelsaule-slipca-/220931258132?pt=Belletristik&hash=item3370877714 .

• Anja

Hi,

I am German and able to read the ad. My advice is – if you are serious about selling in Germany, get a real, human translator. The title translates to “Poetic works Robert Burns artistic spine slipca” (the word for “spine” used in German (Wirbelsäule) is only, and exclusively, what you have in your back ), the description does not make sense. To top it all, the ad offers to “double your sex” – right beneath the “Vendio” ad (“Verdoppeln Sie Ihren Verkehr.”). Sounds promising to me, but surely not professional! I would not buy from the seller. If I can’t read the ad, how am I supposed to communicate with him???

Have to agree with Anja – If you are serious about cross border selling, machine translations just don’t cut it. Think about it – would you buy from or trust someone who clearly didn’t understand (or care) how their listing was presented.

• Steve Harman

Surely translate.google.com offers ‘machine translation’ for $0.00c per word, sentence, paragraph, entire web site…

Steve

It does but there is an important caveat. Google shut down their free translate API to public and now you must pay for it. This makes services like these a bit more valuable if you place a value on your time and have a lot of listings.

• PayPaluser

I used WebInterpret for around 40 GTC items this time last year.

Their translation service was good and was free for the first month.

I sold quite a lot of stuff but for me the problems that I incurred were that about 30% of everything that I sold abroad was somehow ‘lost in the post’. Even when I sent some stuff out again to the same buyers they still said that they did not receive the item, in one case three times, so I had to refund them all, and I deleted all the foreign language listings.

When I cancelled the service, they bombarded me with emails for around three months, so I added them to my spam filter.

• @Paypaluser
      Hi it’s Patrick frow Webinterpret.
      Glad to see that you did appreciate our service.
      I am really sorry that you have received too many automatic emails from our servers. I will investigate and make sure it doesn’t happen any more.

About ‘lost in the post’ issue, most of the time 80% of these cases come from the same countries. For instance we know that post service in Italy is less reliable than in other european countries. What we advice is to propose only shipping with tracking number to this country. We can set automatically this shipping rule & also set up a tool to manage multilingual emails.

If you want to test it you can just contact Webinterpret and ask for Patrick.

• St Georges Dragon

all very well translating the listing though what happens with after sales communication, or when things go wrong ? its not much good selling an item, then not being able to communicate with the buyer

Very good point and not one I had thought of.

Happened to me once. I had some guy in Spain ask me a question on eBay in very broken English so I thought it might be a good idea to use Babel Fish to reply in Spanish. Suddenly I’m getting replies that are pages long in Spanish and have no idea what he is saying or how to respond.

3DSellers