Blogging Job: Vendio want a new blogger

By Chris Dawson October 27, 2011 - 6:41 pm

Could you write for a living?

Can you write quality blog posts? Do you live in the US? Would you like to make money by writing about ecommerce? If the answer to all three questions is “Yes” then Vendio want to hear from you.

Vendio are looking for an knowledgeable ecommerce writer who’s enthusiastic about helping others grow their businesses. If you’re committed to helping online businesses grow and already blog about ecommerce (or any other topics) then this would be the ideal gig to bring in an additional revenue stream.

The compensation package

Up for grabs for the successful blogger is a year-long contract for $50 – $100 per blog post and the chance to attend Ecommerce and Social Media conferences throughout the year as a representative of Vendio. You’ll also receive the tools you need to fufil your new role in the form of an iPad 2 (RRP $499) to help you research and write your posts and of course a free subscription to Vendio’s Get It All package ($299.95 value) to help you run your own business.

How to apply

If you’d like to apply to be the new face of Vendio’s Vendable Blog all you need do to apply is write a post on your own blog about the ecommerce topic of your choice, or create a post telling Vendio why you’d be the perfect candidate for this job. The only requirement is that you link to Vendio.com and EcommerceWriter.com in your post so that they can track applications and make sure every post is reviewed in detail. Once you’ve posted your “job application” simply fill out the form on ecommercewriter.com with a link to your blog post.

How to start off networking in your new role

If you are the one that Vendio chose, make sure you get in touch with TameBay. We’d love to follow your progress over the course of the year and of course swap insider news and tips across the Atlantic. Of course if you don’t write for Vendio but would also like to get in touch, we’re always interested to hear from other ecommerce journalists.

I would apply if this didn’t stink so smarmily of promotional stunt…

I’d apply if I lived in the US! 😀

The iPad’s worth writing a good few blog posts for, not to mention the money 🙂

I live in the UK, which is like a puppet state of America. Does that count?

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to open this up internationally because of laws around contests being construed as gambling. Each country has a different take on it and the cost to find out is more than the entire contest winnings.

We are always happy to talk to bloggers and freelance writers. Please email me directly: hfang at corp dot vendio dot com

Best regards, Helen

• Chris

For those UK based interested in this job. Surely the UK has some of the most relaxed Laws about Gambling in the World. If such a competition was taken as “Gambling” I doubt if there would have been any Tax Liability. After all if you win the EuroLottery there is no tax on your winnings even if they are over £100million. I obviously do not know about other Countries World Wide but perhaps it could be opened up to include UK based entrants-before anybody asks I am not interested in applying.

Hi Hillary –

My apologies if this across as “smarmy”. I’m not sure what would lead you to the conclusion given the many interactions we’ve had. We don’t do PR stunts. This is a genuine (and we thought fun) way to find a new voice for Vendable, the Vendio blog.

Best regards, Helen

Helen,

You know I’m a big fan of your company which is why I found this so beneath you guys… If this is a legit job posting why aren’t you having people apply in a normal fashion? Making them write a post to “apply” by linking to your site is really sketchy and makes it smell of “contest” instead of legitimate job offering. It’s like some weird experiment in SEO by making people link to Vendio under the guise of “applying for a job.”

If you don’t see why that comes off as sleazy then the problem is bigger then I can help you with but it boils down to this… Vendio is a company I have respect for. If this were a normal job application process, I would probably even apply. But this “apply publicly by linking to us and you could win an iPad!” doesn’t reflect well on you guys and that makes me sad.

I’m a big cheerleader for your service, but you’re not doing yourself any favors here!

You know it’s strange but I was looking at this totally from the other angle. For instance the blog post itself that applicants write doesn’t have to be in the least spammy. If I was in the US and wanted to apply I could have used the post written here as my “job application” (and I do hope that this TameBay article hasn’t come across as smarmy or as a spam post :o).

Also the one thing that Vendio, or any company that’s looking to hire a blogger, needs is a) to know if the applicant can write and b) see that they’re already blogging and can write quality posts over an extended period of time.

How better to find out how good someone is than to make the “job application” into a practical test? It’s not like many people would want to incur the travel costs to California on the off chance they might get a blogging gig. This way it’s open to applicants across the whole of the United States 😀

I didn’t notice the comment above where Helen admits it’s just a contest (on why it’s not open in the UK). If they would have just been upfront about that from the start instead instead of calling it a “job” (and I loved your ironic quotes in your post, Chris, because I was thinking the same thing with application) I wouldn’t have had such a problem with it.

Anyway, I tried to crystallize my issues with this over on my blog so I don’t hijack your comments http://thewhineseller.com/2011/10/vendio-contest-pretends-job-posting-blogger/

And I thought you handled it very tastefully, Chris. I have no issue with your coverage of it, just the pretending a contest is a job thing in general.

OK, I’ll shut up now.

I also need a blogger, so drop me a line.

Whirly, I’m currently writing blogs for a few people, if you’re serious, I’m interested 🙂

Like Whirly, I could probably use a blogger myself. I can’t pay with iPads or conferences but the occasional $50 blog post would be affordable.

Qualifications:

1) Must be somewhat technical.
      2) Must be able to write in American English.
      3) Must be able to understand and write about dynamic pricing and how to apply it to your business.
      4) Should have experience selling on eBay.

• John

Who want to do that for a living? 😉

new job blog writer,no bad

Vendio

A complete ecommerce software solution that includes eBay, Amazon, Etsy, MoreCommerce Marketplaces, Facebook, mobile and your own online store