Kindle books outsell print books on Amazon.com

By Chris Dawson May 19, 2011 - 9:33 pm

Amazon announced today that they’ve started selling more Kindle books than printed books in North America.

Since April 1, for every 100 print books Amazon.com has sold, it has sold 105 Kindle books. This includes sales of hardcover and paperback books by Amazon where there is no Kindle edition. Free Kindle books are excluded and if included would make the number even higher.

“We had high hopes that this would happen eventually, but we never imagined it would happen this quickly – we’ve been selling print books for 15 years and Kindle books for less than four years”
Jeff Bezos, CEO Amazon

Ebook sales aren’t limited to the US, less than one year after introducing the UK Kindle Store, Amazon.co.uk is now selling more Kindle books than hardcover books, even as hardcover sales continue to grow. Since April 1, Amazon.co.uk customers are purchasing Kindle books over hardcover books at a rate of more than 2 to 1.

Not surprisingly we’re also seeing this with the TameBay eBay Tools & Services Guide 2011 where both the print and the Kindle versions can be purchased on Amazon.com – Although it’s only been available for three days the Kindle version is proving the more popular.

This is a theme across the whole of ecommerce – the Kindle device is a mobile product where purchases can be delivered in seconds compared to a traditional book which has to be delivered by a carrier. Customers are becoming more impulsive so just as online purchases on mobile devices are increasing the purchase of a book which you can start reading now is becoming more attractive than purchasing a book which you can’t read for a few days.

I hope my son reads books and not walk around with a kindle.

I like paper books and lounging around in the garden or bath, chucking it on the floor, spilling tea over the pages etc etc then passing it on to a friend or charity shop.

What John said.

• Chris

When the VHS Video was all the rage those of us selling Paper Books were always being told that Paper Books were Obsolete. We were being told that VHS Video was the way forward. Have you tried to buy a VHS Video or a Video Recorder recently? The best places to find a VHS Video is at a Car Boot Sale and the going rate is a quid or so each. Since then we have had other electronic Whizz Bang devices with the kindle just being the latest and with each the Paper Book is supposed to be even more obsolete. Sorry lads the Paper Book will be around long after the kindle and all the other electronic whizz bang devices have themselves gone to the Car Boot Sale. So what is the future? Well the quality end of the market will remain the Hardback Book. The kindle and similar will probably take over from the paperback “pulp” end of the market. (Remember when the Paperback was first published it was supposed to take over from the Hardback as it was so much cheaper and would allow so many more to have access to Literary and Educational Material). The cheap book that you buy at the Airport or Railway Station to read on the plane or train and then discard. I understand that there are also copyright questions about many “download” books for kindles(I am not an expert on copyright). But if kindles are going to cause problems for the writers and publishers then it could be a severe blow to future publishing which can only be a great blow to mankind(All the Knowledge of Mankind is in (paper) Books). So I shall continue to sell(until I finally retire) and collect books(I have a fair sized Library of my own)

• northumbrian

yeah and before paper they used to scratch on cave walls

• Chris

I can sell and deliver Paper Books. I am at a loss to think how northumbrian can sell and deliver a cave wall. Certainly I do not have the facilities to do so so I shall stick with paper books.

keep eating the pasties
      they may find a cure one day

• Chris

I don’t want a cure for my love of Cornish Pasties(The chosen food of the Gods). There is a Cornish Pasty Maker who makes Haggis Pasties. Not tried them yet. I don’t know if northumbrian has. Perhaps he could give us all a Review if he has.

• Cassie

I wonder if eBay will start to regret banning eBooks?!

• northumbrian

nothing stopping them un banning them if it suits them

• JohnC

One of the problems is the Paypal rules and intangible items. You can’t prove delivery.

If eBay allow sellers to sell digital downloads and the downloads are illegal, whos in breach of copyright? eBay or the seller or both?

eBay get taken to court by big brand names who are trying to protect their brand names by preventing there sale on eBay. Sales on eBay inlaw don’t seem black and white, more like grey.

• Gary

Given that tablets are outselling laptops, and that the Kindle App is a free download as are several other reader apps, and that eBay are making heavy investment into the mobile side of things, and that Cloud is the future with all our files being stored on isolated servers ready to be called up on demand by the file owner, it surely has to be only a matter of time before eBay reintroduce file download sales.

I’m a luddite in many ways (mobile phones – meh), but I love my Sony reader, I haven’t read a ‘real’ book since getting it 2 & a half years ago. I don’t download pirate books, I either buy them, download free books legitimately in the public domain (classics etc) or loan them from UK lending libraries. As Kindle download business is booming on Amazon, clearly plenty of other people are prepared to pay for legitimate downloads too.

I’ve read far more since getting my reader and no longer have piles of read books cluttering the place up before giving them away as I never saw the point of keeping most books after I’d read them.

Horses for courses – but obviously I’m not the only convert to reader devices, whether Kindle or otherwise!

• Chris

While people like myself would like you to buy your Books from us there are numerous Public Libraries around the Country(I know that the current Tory Government is trying to close many down) and through most Public Libraries you can lend from their stocks to return a week or so later but they will also obtain for you any titles that they do not stock in that Branch. So if you are one of those who only read a Book once there is no need to buy it and then give it away.

• Bunchy

Is a library still a library without books?

At least with a paper book the battery won’t go flat and it doesn’t need any kind of connection to something else.

What about the books read (and kept copies of) that have had a major influence on a life? Or that bring back fond memories or where/when it was read? Can a chunk of plastic invoke the same memory/sensory response?
    I was given a book by my Mum when I finished my exams. She wrote an inscription in it. Can’t do that with a download. Students can’t make notes in the margins of downloaded books.

What about children’s picture books?
    I have many books that were bought for me and read from by my parents when I was a child. These same books I read to my daughter at bed time. We still have them and no doubt she will read to her children from them too when the time comes (and even is she doesn’t, I will, it’s Grandma rights!)

I think readers are a fad. A novelty.
    You can’t buy the download books as a gift to give to someone at Christmas or birthday/graduation and you can’t pass on or forward a downloaded book to a friend or family member.

I will never give up on books, although I may have a reader in the future. It wouldn’t replace my book-reading habit, just enhance it.
    No tablet can replace this kind of relationship you have with a real book.
    It would be a sad thing if it did.

• Chris

Magnificent May I congratulate you. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

As I said, horses for courses 🙂

There are pros and cons of both formats, but I can’t see that I’ll be returning to paper books any time soon. That doesn’t mean that I want to burn anyone else’s books though!

As for formative books, surely it is the words themselves that make a difference, not the format that you read them in.

• BigPoppa

Books, steam trains, horse and cart, all the same…times change, we’ll look back and laugh at the fact we used to hold sheets of paper and read them.

If we have an energy crisis that the think tanks are predicting and electricity becomes as expensive as they say it will, it will be the downloadable books that will become the things of the past. It depends more on the affordability of electricity and as goverments have been warned of impending energy shortages and still done nothing.

The amount of electricity used by a reader is negligible – the battery on mine lasts for several weeks after an hour or two charging. If there isn’t enough electricity to spare for that, then I think reading will be the least of our worries!

The Romans had sewage systems in there towns and citys, but modern citys sewage systems only date back to the Victorians. So if the Romans were advanced, the people who come after them abandaned there technology.

No one really knows what the future holds or if we will revert back to older technologies. Its not only the battery for reading the book that needs generating as a webserver for the download needs a power source as well. With nuclear power stations soon to be retired and think tanks predicting electricity being prioritised for domestic used and taken away from industrial use.

Amazon Kindle looks very short term due to our last few goverments lack of goverment. Maybe the people who came after the Romans share our modern goverments, lack of goverment skills.

I can remember being told that in the future we will all have robots doing all our work for us and that we will all live in a lesiure age where we don’t work because a robot does every thing for us. This was predicted to be happening around about now, but the reality is completely different.

• Chris

When the Tories closed the Coal Mines few of the Mines had run out of coal. I understand that there is over 1,000 years supply of coal still in the ground. In the next few years ALL the Nuclear Power Stations are due to close as well as most of the Coal and Oil Fired Power Stations. Yet the Government is still coming up with schemes for Electric Railways (HS2)London to Manchester and the North to continue on from HS1(Channel Tunnel to London) as an example-What is the estimate for HS2 £33Billion-which probably means £100Billion by the time its finished). Without the Power Stations(remember it takes a minimum of 10 years to build a New Power Station) we can all look forward to years of little or no electricity and what there is being very expensive.

• Chris

With reference the Romans and their Sewage Systems. After the Romans came the Dark Ages just about everything that was developed by the Romans(or by the Greeks before them) was abandoned. Remember in about the year 1,000 the centre for Education probably in the World was Damascus in Syria. Oxford and Cambridge were still just small rural villages. In Queen Elizabeth the First Days you just opened the window and dumped the sewage in the Street. Castles had Garde-Robes(literally a hole in the wall where you stuck your rear end out over the Moat to relieve yourself. Didn’t Queen Elizabeth the First say that she had a Bath once a year whether she needed it or not!

• Old Hand

The Sumerians had sewage systems and much more. The west went backwards until around 1800. The dark ages only occurred in the west, Islamic arts and sciences were moving forward, the west’s advances came greatly because it exploited the culture of the Islamic world.

In the 1960s the powers that be found out what happened when people had enough money to spend and enough time for leisure, they chose leisure and took more interest in improving the lot of themselves and people around the world. There was lots of getting stoned, music and love, protests about authoritarian governments etc. TPTB felt threatened and started losing control. So force everyone back to work with the oil crisis of the 1970s and from thenceforth create more nonproductive work. Make the tax system more complicated, increase bureaucracy wherever possible, H&S mafia, stupid regulations, time wasted dealing with call centres, time wasted dealing with eBay etc.

Yes high tech steam engines are more economical than electric – burn the fuel where the energy is required rather than inefficiently many miles away and transport it via a lossy system to where it is required. But it is even cheaper to grow grass (elephant grass) and burn it, there’s a small power station in Staffordshire. It’s local power too, zero pollution, just takes some land for growing.

Even better there’s cheaper fuel still:

Many other examples too, usually when the technology gets sufficiently well known (which translates to a mainstream terrestrial broadcast TV show is aired) the inventor dies suddenly.

The sad thing about our forth coming energy crises is that I can remember warnings of it 10 years ago. All Tony Blair did was grinned at the cameras and started a war in a distant land. The conservatives have extended the life of some of the Nuclear power stations and talked about building new ones with some green energy thrown in for good measure. And thats about it.

The next goverment after this one is the one who’ll get the public backlash but they are all the same as each other. Totally useless. Theres no master plan, they just want to look good by thinking they can impress by talking and moving their hands at the same time in a completely unnatural way. Its all public image, no substance. Maybe their pensions should be based on the performance of their policies once they have left office. Instead of the golden pensions they recieve, paid for by us yet we can only dream about.

• Chris

Its not that many generations ago that our ancestors got up with the Sun and went to bed when the Sun Set. If they wanted to stay up after the Sun Set they had to use such as candles or crude oil lamps of one sort or another. With the way that our Government of whatever colour has gone over the last 20 years we are not far from being back in that situation. Often their advice is that we can save enough to get over the problem. But before you can save it you have to have it. The estimates are that the Power Cuts are going to be far worse than anything that happened under the “Three Day Week” of only a few decades ago. As a matter of interest a Nuclear Power Station is only a Steam Engine with Nuclear Energy instead of coal supplying the heat. As usual the trouble with our Politicians is that when the Power Cuts come they will not have to suffer them. They will be insulated just as they are from Inflation causing all of out Living Costs going through the roof and the cost of Petrol and Diesel to fuel our cars and the oil, gas or electricity to heat our homes. If they actually had to pay it they would then reclaim it on their expences so they still don’t realise the problems it is causing for the vast majority of the Population.

• Chris

With reference to 7.1.2.1.3 I used to watch Tomorrows World as well. Many old TV series are now being repeated(some to death) on Digital TV but not I think Tomorrows World. It would be amusing to see the many inventions of the 1960’s and 70’s and then the projections about how these inventions would alter our lives and compare it with what has actually happened. I would guess that while the original was said to be Scientific the repeats would qualify as Comedy.

• northumbrian

we love books too , nowt the matter with books we sell lots of books
    the more rare they become, the better we like it,
    we also really !really !really !like being able to click google, ebay, saleroom .com etc etc
    rather than spend weeks trawling reference books, and price guides

• Chris

One problem that I have found with such as clicking Google for information is that so often the informastion is either superficial or not complete or in far too many cases just plain wrong. It is true that sometimes Paper Books are also wrong but on the whole I have found by painful experience that the facts in Paper Books are correct far more often than the facts on the internet.

• northumbrian

why is there a FICTION genre? then,
      Believe nothing you read! and only half what you see,

• Chris

Saw an interesting item in the paper today. Apparently in a survey 14% believe that Emmerdale was a real place; 9% that Albert Square was real; 7% that Coronation Street was; and apparently 6% were planning a trip to Hogwarts, Harry Potter’s School. Obviously many can be fooled all of the time. But there is the wealth of differance between Non Fiction and Fiction. In Fiction ALL or most of it(some Fiction is based upon actual occurences) if dreamed up within the authors head. But with Non-Fiction the vast majority should be factual. Unfortunately on the Internet the differance between Fiction and Non Fiction is very Blurred. But in Paper Books while it is true that some Fiction is dressed up as Non Fiction the vast majority of Non Fiction is Fact Based. As such it can be believed. Obviously it helps if you have a good working knowledge of the subject to be able to recognise the Fact from the Fiction.

• JD

Energy crisis?

Renewables esp. wind can generally provide neither.

Except should have built Severn barrage long ago – up to 10% UK needs in one hit (sorry about the worms).

Cleaned up coal (at least 300 years supply in UK – but we seem to import lots just now) and nuke for base load.

Gas – if we can hang on to enough – for peak shaving.

And throw in a bit of wind if you will.

Energy planning is about real life and politicians are about getting re-elected.

Energy planning cannot be entrusted to politicians.

• board_surfer

“UK will soon be desperately short of generation to meet both base load and peak shaving.”

Grow a beard!

I already act the goat

• northumbrian

plenty of energy available for everyones needs,
    its providing affordable energy thats the problem
    those that whinge about windfarms and the view should switch off there electrics and get in their mud huts

• Chris

I would dispute that there is plenty of energy available at any price. Currently we are just about able to keep going but remember during the Winter a couple of years ago it was reported that Industry were being told to shut down Gas Usage and switch to alternative energy sources. With all the problems in the World and especially the massive increases in energy requirements from such as India and China such as Oil and Gas supplies internationally are under threat. There is only so much energy to go around and this causes the massive increases in prices that we have seen over the years. I expect that in the next few years, possibly as few as 3 years, we are going to experience very real problems. All we need is a cold winter, and we are expecting that 2011/2012 Winter will be far worse and much longer than 2010/2011 Winter in which case it is likely that the whole house of cards will fall down and many will freeze to death in their own homes. I am all right I have a Wood Burning Stove and by the end of September I shall have enough wood in stock to last until Easter 2012.

• Old Hand

There is plenty of energy. The oil industry explores, finds and caps wells on a regular and ongoing basis. One of the flaws with capitalism is that the only way to make real good profits are via monopoly action or when shortages occur.

So what does a powerful industry do, create a shortage and PROFIT. Extra profits for the oil companies, MIC, other resource companies (mines) et al far outweigh the costs of the US/UK wars in ME.

• Chris

I have never worked in the oil industry but I understand that many of the oil wells drilled are just not viable. Thast can mean that they found nothing at all in which case they cap it and go elsewhere. Or perhaps there is some oil or gas but not enough to make it viable. As a matter of interest that might not mean that there are quantities that could be viable if the price was high enough. It could mean that there is just a slow seepage and no matter how high the price it would never ever be viable. But remember many of the wells drilled are exploration wells. These are then replaced by Production Wells if commercial quantities are found. It is not all an oil industry conspiracy to keep the price of oil high. I understand that some capped oil wells that were not viable at lower prices of years ago have subsequently been re-opened and put back into production as the price of oil has climbed.

• Chris

Re Windfarnms. To provide enough Energy from Windfarms to power the Country we would need to cover the whole Country and Offshore with Turbines. But that is not the whole story. We then have to hope that the wind blows. Last Winter when it was very cold and the Country was desperate to try to keep warm the Wind Did not Blow. So the Windfarms did not produce any energy at all. In other words all the massive investment in them and the Natural Scenery that was ruined and the enhanced payments for the small amount of energy that Windfarms produce and remember because you cannot rely on them to produce energy you need the conventional Power Stations to back them up. All that monies many Billions of Pounds has effectively been wasted.

wave, hydro , wind, thermal ,ground heat exchangers ,solar,
      batteries to store the power,
      plenty of energy around
      its the profit thats the problem not producing it

• Chris

Several of those quoted such as Wind are in reality a Financial and Energy Black Hole where for all the effort put into them the results are not worth a very small hill of beans. Solar is another for Solar you need a lot of sun. When we really need energy such as November through to about the end of February there is not a lot of Sun around. Since the Government changed the rules there are a lot of statements being made that many of the schemes currently approved will not be built because they make no sense at all without massive subsidies. When I get up in the morning I want to flick the switch and the TV comes on, or the light switch and I have light. The way things are going in a few years(possibly as few as 3 years) I will flick the switch and nothing happens because the Country is suffering from massive Power Cuts because our Governments have wasted the countries money on the various Power Generation Forms mentioned by northumbrian rather than make sure we have enough POWER STATIONS to provide the energy we need when we need it every day that we need it.

• Old Hand

Renewables are cheaper than they appear already, look at the funding.

Coal, gas etc, 20% of the funding is upfront, the rest (fuel) spread over 30 years. Interest is paid on 20%.
      Wind/solar etc 80% of the funding is upfront, the other 20% (maintenance) spread over 30 years.

The difference is compound interest for 30 years on 60% of the total project cost which is a big number. All that is profit for the bankers, the government could fund it directly from taxes without paying interest but we are ruled by the banks so it won’t happen.

The government gives the Bank of England (a private bank) bonds which are guaranteed by taxpayers. The Bank of England ‘prints’ money and lends it to the government, then charges the government interest on this money.

Think about it. Yes it really is like that. The government just gifts interest payments to the bank. Very few countries in the world aren’t governed by a privately owned central bank, look them up!

Our money system is fiat money. The reason we abandoned money liked to precious metals is because goverment spending is so high. Goverment via the Bank of England needs to print money, put this printed money into circulation and then withdraw it from circulation as tax receipts.

Fiat money is not the best form of money, as it is only worth what others value it at. An example of this is hyper inflation in Germany and Zimbabwe where there money was worthless. At least if money was linked to precious metals and your currency fell you could exchange your money back into a precious metal again.

Goverment spending wont drop to a level where we could abandon fiat money because goverment spending for those whos jobs depend on it will fight tooth and nail to save it for their own interests and sod everyone else.

As a result we are all ecomonic slaves to goverment, banks and the one with the funny shaped head.

• justme

I quite like the way windfarms look.

Any rational study suggests nuclear power is the future though, unfortunately its politically unacceptable.

• northumbrian

wind farms are quite easily removed nuclear is around for just about ever,
      its perfectly possible for every building to have solar panels wind , heat exchangers etc etc its just not profitable

• northumbrian

it even possible to heat places on cow fart

• Chris

I take it that you have never looked into the removal of a Windfarm. We have one in the Parish and they applied to refurbish it. This in reality meant taking away the current Windfarm and building a New Windfarm. The current one is so many feet high the new one would be several times higher with much larger blades. So they cannot use the same bases. They also will have to cover a much larger area of land. So they propose taking down the masts and the top bit with the blades but leaving behind the massive concrete bases. The new one will require new massive concrete bases being built and because the new masts and top bit with the blades is so long and heavy and they need massive cranes to lift it all into place they have to build access roads and concrete hard standing etc for the cranes to sit on while they lift it all into place. This little lot is either on the Moors or on Farmland. No doubt when they come to require to re-equip again at some time in the future they will again not be able to use the same concrete bases but they will leave the new ones together with the old ones and no doubt build a new lot. So our unspoilt Moors and Countryside will eventually become a landscape of redundant concrete bases and derelict access roads(because no doubt they will need to build New access roads as well. And you state that Windfarms are quite easily removed-You obviously do not know what you are talking about. In regard to Nuclear in about 1969 I worked for 6 months at Rolls-Royce Nuclear Division. I was told at the time that when the factory was no longer required they would open up the roof and fill it with rock and then grass over it and turn it into a landscaped hill. Obviously what I was told in 1969 and what happens now is likely to be very differant but in really only the nuclear material itself that is the problem. Much of the Nuclear waste such as the low level and medium level waste is actually of little danger. It is such as towels that have been used by the staff to dry their hands and clothing and used x-ray “negatives”. If you check on the nuclear radiation our Cornish Granite has a higher reading. Yet the low and medium level waste still has to be stored. The big differance is that for 25 years or so the nuclear power station has provided the country with a massive amount of energy. The windfarm has for its life barely produced any energy at all and can only survive because of the massive subsidies it has received. I have seen calculations that show that the energy used to build a Windfarm is actually less than the energy it is likely to produce in the whole of its working life. Cow fart(or indeed northumbrian fart) is on the whole methane and that is also an inflamable gas. So yes you could heat on that. A much easier way of getting that(in bulk) is to put in a plant to store and process cow manure(or indeed domestic sewage) and collect the methane that results and use that. There are commercially available systems where the gas is taken to what is in effect a car engine that drives a generator and you can have almost limitless supplies of electricity from sewage. At the end when the sewage(or cow manure) is fully processed you have compost for the garden. All that is then needed is for the last lot now fully processed to be removed and spread on the garden-it would need to be a big garden or Farm and the next lot to be put into the “tank”. One advantage with such a system is that the fully processed materials do not smell. They have the consistency of the Garden Peat that you buy from the Garden Centre. In fact such an installation is ideal for remote rural properties(especially such as large country houses or Castles so I am surprised that northumbrian Castle does not already have one-they have been around for at least 30 years).

• northumbrian

“If you check on the nuclear radiation our Cornish Granite has a higher reading”

All is explained is not pasties its Radiation sickness
      keep taking the iodine

• Chris

Re 11.2.2.1.2. On re-reading can I try to correct an error. I have seen calculations that show that it takes more energy to build a Windfarm than it is going to produce in its operating life. There is a technical term for this and that is that a Windfarm is an “Energy Sump”. In my above posting it gives the impression that a Windfarm will produce more energy than it took to build it. In regard to northumbrians posting 11.2.2.1.3. there are numerous Cemetries in Cornwall(and indeed the Obituaries in the Local Papers each week) that show that the high background radiation in Cornwall does little or no harm. On the whole Cornish men and women who have lived in Cornwall all their lives tend to live long lives. Yet regularly we see campaigns about Radon Gas. Radon Gas is caused by the decay of Nuclear material in the Granite. The gas then rises through the various faults in the granite until it reaches the surface. If the surface is a field or road there is no problem it just blows away. But if the surface is a house it is often stated that it will build up in the house unless the house is ventilated until it causes health problems. It has been stated that it causes Lung Cancer. Yet the normal quoted cause of Lung Cancer is Smoking. As far as I know we have similar rates of Smoking in Cornwall as elsewhere in the Country. Yet with the additional danger of Radon our rates of Lung Cancer are actually lower than the National Average. Perhaps Low Level Radiation is not the danger to health but perhaps even beneficial. Anyway I am very happy with Cornwall as it is. As a matter of interest my Late Father had as a Paperweight on his desk many years ago a lump of Core Sample if you waved a Geiger Counter at it it went bananas. The Core Sample was Uranium Ore. Before anybody asks where it is now I have no idea. I do not have it and my Late Father would not be able to tell you either.

• Chris

We have a windfarm only about two miles away. It has been there for about 25years. They have Planning Permission(I voted on Council against it)-it was allowed on appeal. The New Windmills are a lot taller than the current ones and are being spread out so that they will be a lot closer to peoples houses than those of the current Windfarm. I wonder if justme would like them if the closest was only a couple of hundred yards away from their front door. Then there is the long term damage. Cornwalls Countryside is on the whole Green and Pleasant. In the future it will be littered with enormous blocks of concrete sunk into the ground. I do not have the spec of these blocks but I seem to remember that they are about 200 tons each. So a Landscape that has been much loved and protected for generations will be spoilt for ever for little or no purpose.

• northumbrian

shorter comments could save energy and the need for windfarms

• Chris

There is no need or indeed justification for Windfarms. They are a total and utter WASTE OF MONEY.

Amazon

Amazon started as online book store and has grown to be the worlds largest online retailer.