Bronze PowerSeller level renamed “Basic”

By Chris Dawson May 23, 2011 - 10:46 pm

There’s been a quiet upgrade to the Seller Dashboard with the introduction of “Basic PowerSeller requirements” and “Advanced PowerSeller requirements”.

In truth barring the Basic and Advanced designators the PowerSeller requirements have not changed since October 2010 when the last update was introduced.

The Basic PowerSeller requirements really match what was called the Bronze PowerSeller level. In the UK that’s minimum domestic sales of £2,000.00 and 100 transactions (based on sales to UK and IE buyers).

The Advanced PowerSeller requirements are are determined by global turnover requirements. You can qualify on either a 3 month period or a 12 month period. The 3 months measure allows new sellers to quickly qualify but for those sellers with seasonal fluctuations the 12 month measure allows them to retain PowerSeller level over the course of a year.

For all intents and purposes Bronze PowerSellers have now ceased to exist. In fact eBay now only require three levels of PowerSeller level as about the only thing PowerSeller level now exists for in the UK is to determine discount level.

If you’re a Bronze (Basic)/Silver PowerSeller and Top Rated you qualify for a 20% final value fee discount. Gold/Platinum Top Rated PowerSellers qualify for a 25% discount and Titanium PowerSellers qualify for a 30% discount.

At some point in the future I can see eBay rolling Bronze and Silver PowerSellers into one level and Gold and Platinum into another. It also wouldn’t surprise me to see the PowerSeller name disappear entirely – it’s no longer visible to buyers and to all intents and purposes the Bronze PowerSeller level has now been discontinued.

I’ve lost my Silver powerseller status go I’m back down to Bronze. I’m not sure about the new basic label. I thought they were doing away with the whole powerseller thing anyway?

I suspect the only reason powersellers even exist on eBay is to keep the trademark active and there is probably some value in it.

• northumbrian

a pathetic load of cods wallop since day one to massage the egos of
    silly buggers who thought they were proper business people becasuse ebay made money from them

Thanks for a great post Chris, can always count on you to be bring us all the news from eBay.

• Gary

Without Tamebay we wouldn’t know half this stuff. It greatly appreciated.

Are eBay considering a super injunction?

Agreed.

No change could be more pointless or dull but it’s always Tamebay that give me the news, good / bad / pointless Tamebay delivers.

I still have my printed PowerSeller certificate from when I first qualified and eBay used to mail out a PowerSeller welcome pack.

The pack also contained a CD to install an out of date copy of TurboLister (it was way out of date when I first got it!)

Do you think my PowerSeller welcome pack is old enough that I could list in the antiques section on eBay? 😀

• paddy

Ah the infamous Powerseller certificate. I remember a thread from the old Q&A forum where a seller claimed he had stuck his certificate to the back window of his car as he claimed it would enhance his sales!

Wow, that was sneaky. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, TameBay – don’t know what we’d do without you 😉

Its all getting very complex (although ebay have done a good job with the visual aspects of the dashboard). However I have to say the simpleness of amazons metrics and dashboard allow more control and influence.

• northumbrian

just in case!
    the pathetic bit refers to ebay not tamebay