Pay checks into PayPal with your iPhone

By Sue September 29, 2010 - 8:24 pm
Three Cheques in a week

TechCrunch reports that PayPal are to release a new version of their iPhone app, which will allow merchants to photograph the front and back of a check with their phone’s camera, and have it automatically added to their PayPal balance.

Before the spelling police get on to me, I do mean “check” – there’s no hint that this will be available beyond the US at the moment.

Some US banks already do this, but it’s a new one for PayPal and one I’d have dearly loved when I had to trudge to the bank daily with my handful of eBay cheques. Ain’t technology marvellous?

Creative Commons License photo credit: liewcf

Wow. Too bad eBay doesn’t let us accept checks anymore. Having to go to the bank and not having a way to electronically process them was always a huge pain for me as an eBay seller.

Ah, yes, had forgotten that sneaky rule on .com.

Blimey that’s brilliant! I’d more than happily pay PayPal processing fees not to have to bank cheques ever again 🙂

Checks, Cheques???? Pass. What are these ancient forms of payment of which you speak. 😀

• Susan

Wanna bet PayPal will ask for horrendous fees upon using this service as they ask for anything they offer?

I really used to like PayPal but by now it seems more like a legal rip-off than a valid payment option. I’m using prepaid cards/paysafecard whereever possible now – much cheaper and also safer.

I’m not sure but this might be related to the PayPal X checks feature which supposedly only costs $0.50.

• Susan

Might be, but it’s still not safe.
      Paypal has the habit of just keeping or locking your money out of a whim.

Like I said, if you need to pay for stuff online, it’s way safer to use prepaid cards and if you need to accept it, just let people transfer it to your actual bank account.

• Silence

Hey Susan, can you tell me more about how that prepaid card works..?

I know I’m not the only one concerned with PayPal’s security these days.
      Instead on working on solving their HUGE problems, seems like they’re trying to cover them up with new features. Pfff!

• edwina

Hi
    Sorry but after some advise
    Have been trading on ebay since 27/6
    have 175 positive feedbacks, dsrs of 4.93,4.91,4.96,4.97. No claims or disputes. No NEGS

Still have payment hold on and paypal are saying it may stay for 6 months as that is the rule i comply with 5 of the 6 just not been on there for 6 months. iT IS killing me as nearly 1500 tied up!!!

trade in home and garden so not high risk cat.

Any advise is welcome???

Sorry this isn’t what you want to hear, Edwina, but the only advice anyone can give you is either to sit it out, or stop trading on eBay. PayPal don’t change their minds on this, and if you’re going to trade on eBay, you have to accept PayPal.

• edwina

ok and thanks

but is it normal for paypal to hold the funds for your first 6 months of trading?? Or am i just unlucky??

They state it is because i am a low volume seller but i have sold 4000 in under 60 days so far that seems quite good from a standing start

thanks for your help

Perhaps Paypal can’t understand why you have sold 4000 items but only have a 175 positive feedbacks?

• edwina

Sorry meant £4000.

Just seems odd that when they have emailed 6 criteria, i fly thru 5 of them and they admit that, but not the 6th i.e. i havent been selling for 6 months.

Was just wandering if this is the norm and was asking advise from some experienced heads

• BigPoppa

Don’t ask me why but Paypal apply random “security” measures to accounts so as to show they are actively protecting buyers.

It often has nothing to do with your account etc, they just have to show that they are doing “something”.

$100,000 worth of checks in the first 36 hours.