Snow affects UK postal deliveries and collections

By Chris Dawson January 5, 2010 - 6:43 pm
Snowy Footprints On The Dock
Creative Commons License photo credit: Aa?on

As snow once again covers much of the UK, delays to postal deliveries and collections are being announced.

Royal Mail breaks down service information by region: areas currently listed as affected by the weather include Scotland, the north east and north west of England, and Devon and Cornwall.

ParcelForce has made an announcement detailing affected areas, mostly in Scotland and northern and central England:

• areas covered by the Manchester, Preston and Liverpool depots had deliveries suspended today
  • in many areas ad-hoc collections were suspended today and will not be made tomorrow

DHL and UPS don’t apparently have anything on their websites yet, but anyone with a time-sensitive delivery might do well to check if a collection is coming to them, and if their buyer has any hope of getting it delivered.

Regardless of which service you use, it’s worth warning your buyers in advance that delays may happen due to the weather. Buyers in more clement parts of the country can easily think they won’t be affected – and even those who’ve received no post for a few days still blame the seller rather than the snow for their non-delivery. So – even though it seems too obvious to need saying – it’s worth adding a line or two to your dispatch or payment receipt emails.

Oh and
    the SE’s getting 40cms of snow overnight, so things are going to be a bit hairy there, I predict.

• Bunchy

I probably won’t be getting a business collection until Thursday this week. Have been advised by my collections manager that mail can be left at some post offices, but make sure you know which one is definately being collected from and most importantly the approx time. No point dragging your sacks up there at 3pm to find a collection happened at noon and there will be no more untill the next day.
    Good luck everyone, it’s going to be hell with deliveries for the next week at least.

• northumbrian

southern softies!
    its been minus silly degrees and snowing up here, since before christmas

• Brian in Bridgwater

Come on Royal Mail, I live in Bridgwater, Somerset, and have not seen a postman ( sorry, postperson ) for a WEEK! Yes we have had snow the same as other areas in the country but surely in 2010 we can expect better than this? If I and many other people can drive and walk to work why should we accept the breakdown of postal deliveries just because of three or four inches of snow? My young paperboy seems to have no trouble in delivering papers this week, and wait a minute my letterbox has just told me I have a delivery!!! oh no!!! it was a delivery of our local free paper which has just been delivered as usual, not late, and by a young girl who obviously values her job and the customers she delivers to!
    ” I CAN’T BELIEVE IT “

We havent had a collection by Royal Mail since Tuesday. We have received deliveries from DPD, City Link and UK Mail. We are in Brighton and Hove and not far out the centre so the main roads are pretty much perfect. The depot hasnt answered their phones for three days. They realy are a shower of ….

Bryn

I asked the same question in Thatcham – no problem getting to the local delivery depot. Answer was that all collection drivers come out from Newbury and don’t work out of Thatcham which is deliveries only! 😯 Grrr

• brighton

same problem here mate, drop it off at the local depot…lanes. if they get it before 6.00pm your parcel will leave for gatwick within the hour. 😉

Yeah may do that but will have about 50 sacks come Monday so wont be able to get em all out!

Which entrance? North Road or the one with the basketmakers on which I cant remember the name of !!

Cheers Bryn

• brighton

thats the one… 🙄 foundry road off north road…one way i think..if you got that many you might be better off getting there a bit earlier around five it will be busy…after five..if they gate is closed just press the buz and say you got a business drop off …there is a loading bay for about six vans.park there they will help you to unload except the special you need to bring into the office… thats it really of course I’m guessing you got ppi / prepaid 🙂

Cheers – gonna hire a van as Choices do a tenner a day special during the week. Cheers Bryn

My post was delivered on a tractor this morning 😀

Any ISF’s to sign for……..

LOL. Fortunately not, for I’m sure the farmer wouldn’t have made me sign for em any more than the postman ever does.

• brighton

If you need to hire a van I would suggest give them a call and ask for steve major (he is the manager of the depot) or if he is not available just say you are desperate for a collection…and surprise surprise I got a collection on Friday afternoon 😥 only three bags though

• Ralph

I know we all have some issues with couriers, but is it just me or is DHL the pits? They don’t even bother trying to deliver. I have had two ocassions where they have just received a package in the distribution centre and not even bothered trying to deliver it to the customer. They just send it back as ‘undeliverable’ because they can’t be bothered.

I’ve only been a recipient of deliveries via DHL, but I agree they are the pits, far worse than any other courier that delivers here.