eBay attract 180m new buyers in 6 new countries

By Chris Dawson November 18, 2009 - 4:37 pm

eBay European ExpansionIt’s been four years since eBay opened up a new country site in Europe, but they’re just about to add six new territories aiming to specifically attract new buyers.

Currently in Beta, eBay International Markets will fully launch on February 3rd 2010 at eBay.eu to Russia, Czech Republic, Greece, Norway, Denmark and Sweden providing full language translation and customer support.That’s a population of over 182 million Europeans that will be able to access eBay in their own language for the first time.

The good news for sellers in the three biggest eBay marketplaces is that the buyers will be directed to listings from eBay UK, Germany and eBay.com increasing sales for businesses that offer international shipping.

Key benefits for buyers in eBay International Markets

• Fully translated eBay site – the only things not translated will be sellers item titles and descriptions. Registration, Search, Checkout and of course My eBay will be in the local language
  • The ability to search all 16 existing eBay country sites, but only see search results where the seller will ship to their location
  • Localised currency and time zone
  • Customer support in their own language (based out of Berlin)
  • Localised marketing
  • Weekly deals at deep discounts (mainly products sourced from Asia Pacific sellers)

The focus in these six new countries will be on buying, with the aim to drive sales to UK, German and US sellers. From the full launch in January new buyers in these countries will be able to register on their own country site in their own language.

This should be exciting news for sellers who ship internationally, generally buyers in the new eBay International Markets are early adopters of the Internet. They’re multi-lingual and comfortable with cross border trade, international shipping, customs & taxes such as VAT and payments (which will be PayPal only). Also a key statistic is that a new buyer in these territories generally is more active than a new eBay user in established countries like the UK.

These buyers are looking for luxury goods, products that either can’t be sourced or are significantly more expensive in their own countries and of course authentic goods. If you want to attract these new buyers things you need to know are:- only fixed price items will be included; You’ll need to ship world wide and specify postage costs; be PayPal verified; and of course to offer PayPal as a payment option.

• northumbrian

Dont like the idea of Russia, Czech Republic, things go missing and can get complicated in the old communist countries

any new business is welcome with a 😛

• Richard

Best news of the week so far, more buyers, more money. 😀

It’s more sellers we could do without. 😆

• Diana

Does this mean that I can now get a VeRO strike for not complying with Czech Trademark law?

No more so than if you sell to the US and don’t comply with US law 😛

with the aim to drive sales to UK, German and US sellers.

Do those things square?

• Lino

We do a fair amount of business overseas, and a lot of our competitors don’t ship outside the UK (no idea why). Hopefully should bring in some extra sales. Good news.

Sounds like a money launderers paradise. All that dirty money arriving in the UK, clean goods back to Russia, sold for cash and all nice and clean.

• northumbrian

We cringe and grit our tetth when items are bought by a buyer from a former eastern block country,
    they seem to have a culture of asking for a partial refund
    , they know its easier to refund a tenner or so than have all the slavver

I welcome money from all countries.

Royal Mail offer a signed for service to all these countries. I find buyers from Russia, and former Eastern Block are affluent individuals and usual higher calibre than some individuals from (no names mentioned) less than salubrious British towns 😉

• northumbrian

so what Royal mail offer a signed for service
      that means nowt if thjey dont sign for it or the foreign postal service dont bother asking for a signature

Plus signed for may as well have a great big sticker on it saying nick me

• Gerry007

“great big sticker on it saying nick me”

IN ENGLISH OF COURSE….. 😈

• northumbrian

plus the naughty lads are not going to trouble their self too much or target the odd pair of boots or shoes,
      try selling a Rolex watch or a Hasselblad camera over there

Be warned … Compensation will only be paid by Royal Mail if the item is lost / damaged within the UK ONLY…

“We are not liable for loss or damage incurred outside the United Kingdom, where postal and delivery services of other countries are involved.”

• JD

Simon,

All respect to that FAQ but it ain’t right.

Try:

Well, even in your FAQ (from the same site!) it says
      “In the case of loss of an item we will request proof of posting from the other postal administration but this cannot always be provided.”

Fortunately, I’ve never had to make an international claim (so far) – anyone have any experience in doing so? It’s hard enough getting domestic claims processed…

• northumbrian

But please note that we cannot routinely provide a copy of this signature. In the case of loss of an item we will request proof of posting from the other postal administration but this cannot always be provided.

SAYS IT ALL
      we dont send other than Dhl, or Fed ex, to eastern europe

• northumbrian

its delusionary to think Royal mail international signed for offers security ,
      plus compensation is miminal, if any at all

• Jimbo

I have sent thousends of item International Signed For and have never had one go missing.

I see dispatch as being all about choosing a service that is appropriate to the products sold.

• northumbrian

I have sent tens of hundreds of thousands, international signed for, to just about everywhere on the planet,
      and have had a small percentage go missing
      mostly to Asia and eastern european countries

• Bigpoppa

JP…Not related to the thread but take a look at this item number:
      260466391788

Do you get a “login Error” box pop-up?
      I know this isn’t your listing

Also, I was looking to buy a pair of your cappers but spent 10 minutes on eBay searching for “dr martins capper” with no joy until I realised should be Martens. Might be worth adding that spelling to the title (not keyword spamming) 😉

I see the pop-up. Not sure what it is in reference to but I’m sure there is a script or an iframe somewhere on that page causing it.

• Hereford United Fan

I agree – They normally speak better English too.

• Hereford United Fan

Do you have to ship worldwide or just to those countries? I ship to Europe for example so that would include most of them.

I believe that should be sufficient 🙂

you can block certain countries still via site preferences.

• JD

Chris,

Thank you for this. Interesting that auctions will not be included. eBay could have taken an ISV fee for those.

Also interesting that my fixed price listings will show by default simply by selecting International Shipping to those countries, yet those listings do not show by default in Germany or US. Strange that. German, UK and US buyers might be better served by logging on to the International Site.

Is this the forerunner of a new eBay Worldwide site?

Import duties will be an issue for buyers from US sellers and for buyers from all sellers to Norway and Russian Federation.

I have experience of selling to Norway, low duty threshold and quite high duties (not sure on percentages).

• JD

As a follow up 182 million people makes a great headline – nearly 80% of which is in the Russian Federation.

I accept that the language issue will be of great assistance.

Norway is the smallest market, some 4.5 million people.

I love people like northumbrian here which probably think of country like Czech Republic as of some crazy Balkan country. Mind you, it is a post-communist country, but – along with other countries like Slovenia or Estonia – far from what you probably think of… Italy is more corrupted, Germany has shabier parts, UK has far worse health care… So c’mon – we don’t live in 1989!

Can I ask where this info comes from?

There has been no announcement and ebayers in the UK has obviouly no caught onto this?

(I would it to happen, just haven’t anything else about it, anywhere)

Should say – I would Love it to happen….Just haven’t seen anything else..

• JD

What’s going on then?

I know it’s only in beta but I can only find my auctions on the global site (supposedly not included) and none of my BIN stuff (supposedly included).

What are they trying to do?

Anybody else had a look?