Most successful Deal of the Day to date

By Chris Dawson September 3, 2009 - 9:06 pm

polaroidpogoprinterToday’s Deal of the Day for the for just £19.99 was the most successful offer to date on eBay UK.

With a retail of £99.99 the offer proved just too good to miss, and whilst I was at ChannelAdvisor Insite today I saw just how irresistible it was. My laptop was kept busy with attendees and speakers logging into their eBay accounts to make purchases.

The seller was who is a Powerseller with feedback of 63,416 and the 6,500 printers sold in just under 8 hours. That’s one printer sold every 4 seconds!

Personally I love the Deal of the Day and I’ve bought a few of them. If eBay carry on finding sellers to offer great deals at fantastic prices there are going to be a lot of happy buyers out there spreading the word and telling their friends what a great deal they got on eBay.

On the surface it was an amazing deal, well done to all those concerned.

Personally speaking though I am not so impressed. The item has a RRP of £99.99, the seller chucks them out at £19.99 inc Postage, one can only assume the seller is making a profit at £19.99 so the RRP must be aload of old pony or it was far to high in the first place.

The seller must have been paying around 11.50 per unit, then postage,ebay fees,paypal fees,packaging + staff costs to post 6,500 items, lets not forget the admin involved, paperwork, printers,ink etc etc

lol think I will pass.

I forgot VAT at 15% also. 😐

• radams

I’m with whirly on this one, the quoted ‘RRP’ is double the price that even John Lewis is knocking them out at.

Plus if you check out the price of paper Polaroid is probably giving them away free as a loss leader.

I was thinking of getting one – till I reseached the price of the paper, then I thought why do I ned to print out digiatal images myself ? If somebody wants a picture I have taken I can bluetooth/upload or email it to them!

Methinks this one sold on price alone, and as others have said the RRP of £99.99 is meaningless, as the item is available almost anywhere for about a third of that.

I take your point about the RRP, but then I never pay RRP for anything and always take them with a grain of salt.

Have to say £130,000.00 of sales in eight hours really isn’t bad going though 🙂 I think Eddie is right that this was sold on price alone – it’s an impulse buy and that’s exactly what the Deals should be – a great product at a price you don’t have to think twice about but just click Buy It Now.

• JD

Seller specialises in consumables. In theory if the device is user friendly (and used) seller will make money on the sale of paper.

21.3p per sheet post free in 70’s

or

18.3p per sheet post free in 30’s

Why would anybody buy 70’s?

£130,000 of sales in 8 hours is impressive, but fairly pointless if you are just paying eBay,Paypal and Gordon Brown.

• eqixx

we were offered these a few weeks ago by one of our suppliers. (it seems polaroid has gone bust)

the price went down the more you ordered, but even ordering 3000 of them would still have cost us about £14 each.

we reckon that to make a profit after everything (post, cost of envelope, VAT, ebay fees, paypal fees), he would have had to buy them for a maximum of £ 12.50 – anything more and he’d be making a loss on them. that’s not counting the cost of employing people to answer probably hundreds of emails about it, or the cost of employing people to pack 6500 items! 😯

basically we reckon that once everything like that is taken into account, he must have only made pennies on each one.

• Jimbo

They’re now available at £24.95 & I’m sure they will still be selling shedloads + paper leading up to Christmas. Teens will love them. The prints are also stickers.

Im not knocking the seller Jimbo, if they are making a profit good luck to them. I just can’t get my head around the numbers, 6500 packages must take some packing, especially when you have no idea whether you are going to be packing 3000 or 6000, how many staff do you get in? how many envelopes do you buy? what about all the buyers adding paper to the order etc

It sounds like hell 😆

Be great to hear from the seller to see how the managed it.

• JD

Seller has ‘over 75’ staff.

Today’s Deal just sold out – 450 RYOBI RPW100E 100 bar Pressure Washers sold for £24.00 each in under an hour!

Blimey. Good news is the poor seller can get on with the packing, bad news is he/she should have got hold of more than 450.

I wonder how many of these deals get snapped up by sellers who then resell them on ebay.

I am also with whirly on this. How can small retailers survive when margins are being squeezed by every Tom, Dick & Harry. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

Anyway, my stationery supplier is giving the printers away with orders. That tells you something 😉

• CraigF

£1 per sale would be acceptable, also the price point is important, I think one will find the despatch destination revealing.

• Lino

Chris, do you know the policies for Deal of the Day? I was under the impression that delivery had to be next day? Have I got that wrong? Can’t see how the seller will manage that.

Delivery has to be “free” but not as far as I’m aware next day

how about having a deal with Polaroid (or a wholesaler), the drop shipping option, so ebay seller costs were minimal and as Craig said, £1 is a reasonably good mark up if you sell 130k items; besides the real mark up was on paper and am sure that they sold at least 10% which is 13000…

This seller isnt as smart as you think.

ebay is rapidly becoming a system of greater fools…

• Jimbo

Do you have some inside information on this?

• JD

Around 10 feedbacks so far proclaiming ‘next day delivery’.

Only 6490 to go.

Am amazed that peeps are buying 70 sheets of paper when they could get 3 x 30 for just 52p extra!

Seems to have sold around £25k of paper. With prospect of lots more.

I haven’t got my phones yet 😆 I wonder what will turn up first. winner gets 5*

Phones win. Bargain. Thanks for the heads up on Twitter Chris, these will be ideal to use to track down the kids when they go missing at dinner time 🙂

• Jimbo

The Phones had a head start though whirly.

I’m still waiting for a portable speaker from about two months ago 😆 .

O dear 😆 I’ve bought 8 deals of the day so far, its to damm addictive.

My entire family will be getting deals of the day for xmas at this rate.

You know what Whirly….. It’s working 😛

Imagine how many other punters are logging on to eBay to buy them as well 😀

I can see the upside of it Chris, I just hope they don’t just log into the deal of the day and then log out again 😆

• CraigF

His ‘recent sales’ score for that item should make him unmoveable! That is until new impressions system is fully brought in…

Just an idea, but since soon you can change title and have a description as a Jpg, you could get a silly amount of sales on DOTD, and then jump in at slot #1 on something quite different…

Last I checked you forfeit recent sales when changing categories so even if you could get away with a JPG description it would have to at least be in the same category. Really no need to use a JPG description anyway because you are allowed to change the description on relist.

In this case that would be: Photography > Digital Camera Accessories > Digital Photo Frames

That doesn’t seem right.

• CraigF

Also I think DOTD has been a runaway success for ebay so far, with a liitle tweak, they could fit 3/4 deals in a space not much bigger, esp if they cut down on the advertising space..

re #17 Craig “and have a description as a Jpg”

Is this a new rule nobody knows about but you 😯

Me and many others only know that an item description (the main parts) have to be hard coded into the eBay page – mainly to prevent what you are suggesting.

• Of course the market for this product is now completely knackered but as long as the buyers are happy….

And yes that is sarcasm.

Steve

Woudn’t say the market is knackered, I know a few people who missed out and have bought at a higher price

• Jimbo

I’d say the complete opposite. The market may have just been created.

• Bigpoppa

You can get them cheaper on eBay – that link charges too much for carriage 😛

• Bigpoppa

#22 I know but the point was the deal of the day has nothing to do with actual price but more to do with perceived price.

Basically the success of this offer shows how easy the average eBay buyer can be fooled into thinking they are getting a deal.

It’s this low level of awareness in the buyers that attracts so many dodgy sellers to eBay in the first place.

eBay should invest heavily in educating the buyers, because this way the dodgy sellers will lose their market place and leave.

(I’m not saying the seller of this item is dodgy, just a general comment)

• Jimbo

But it was a good deal.

I have been in daily deal discussions with eBay, and basically they break you down to your lowest price and allow you to make around £2 on every item. It’s more about exposure and shifting stock than profit.

Clients still wanna do it and I have some lined up so, we shall see!

• WK

I thought DOTD sellers had to be Powersellers?

Check out today’s seller, Office. A virtual eBay beginner.

OK so they may be a High Street Name but what has happened to the DOTD rules, eBay?

I don’t think that there were any “rules”. The guidelines were “You’ll need sufficient inventory of a great mass-market, spontaneous, impulse purchase product that’s going to excite buyers and it needs to be offered at an attractive price point. You’ll also need to be able to fulfill the orders on top of your normal business and probably be a Platinum or Titanium PowerSeller with good feedback.”

• Jerome

One of todays Daily Deals is a flip flop down from £15 to £10. Although this is a 33% saving they are charging £3.75 p+p. Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the Daily Deals have to offer free p+p?

Looks like £6.99 with free P&P to me

• Jerome

Hi,

They changed it about 10 mins ago.