Expansion of ship to locations ready for launch

By Chris Dawson September 12, 2009 - 12:47 pm

The ability to exclude specific countries that you’re willing to ship to should be released this month as the relevant calls will be added to the API 635 release due out next week, on the 16th September.

This means TurboLister and third party applications will be able to access the new feature and give sellers considerably more control over the territories they’re willing to supply to.

Once your listing tool is updated you’ll be able to choose countries to ship to from lists based on the ISO country names and code elements list and exclude specific countries you don’t want to ship to. For instance many sellers appear to prefer not to ship to Italy, so you’ll be able to choose ship to the whole of Europe but exclude Italian buyers.

One other important change is that ship to exclusions will no longer be based on the country of registration, but will check the buyers primary shipping address. If you only ship within the UK and someone has a UK registered eBay address but their primary shipping address is overseas they’ll also be prevented from purchasing your items.

Once the new feature is released it’ll be worth updating all your existing listings with a new list of locations you’re willing to ship. This feature is also an opportunity to add new shipping locations to your listings and attract more buyers. If you currently only ship to the UK, Ireland, France and Germany (the only current country options), you’ll be able to add more European destinations without being forced to ship to the whole of Europe.

With the current Sterling/Euro exchange rates it’s time to take full advantage of cross border trading.

• JD

Chris, do you know how BFPO ship to addresses are considered please?

Thanks.

Sorry but I haven’t a clue – I would imagine they’re classed as UK addresses but that’s a guess

• Gerry007

We’ve sent a few packets to BFPO addresses, but they usually go via UK postal address/code & are then sent on military transport

• JD

Yes Gerry that’s how they go.

However last one I got had Europe shipping rate applied by eBay.

• Gerry007

Hi D,

I think it depending on the ebay site, bought from.

ie; if the buyer, assuming is registered on ebay.uk (who, say are in Germany) buys on ebay.de, then shipping in charged non-domestic, but if the buyer buys on ebay.uk domestic is charged, assumng the item is shipped via a ebay Uk registered address

• Hereford United Fan

I only post to the EU at the moment unless someone emails me. I do this so that I can take the opportunity to warn the customer that they may have to pay import duties. Does anyone have a list of countries I can post to where import duties are not an issue. Most of my items are below £100.

Thanks

• still trading

USA for a start,
      USA customs dont worry too much about anything less than $200

• Bigpoppa

I think that buyers in Italy will soon have to find another way to spend their money online other than on eBay… :razz:

• still trading

& Russia and Romania, and Turkey, and Indonesia, I dont much like posting to Canada either , Canada customs miss bugger all, plus Canadian buyers are a breed apart from the normal ebay buyer ,always whinging and moaning about something

• Richard

Looking at things in a positive light, it means a lot of countries I had to exclude as the only way to include them was to set “Worldwide” become available again. New Zealand is one such example that comes to mind.

One less nail in the coffin.

• Jimbo

:lol:

It would be good to force Italian customers to pay for courier services, rather than Royal Mail / ItaliaPost. It the domestic mail services that cause the issues. Having a granular system is a good improvement by ebay and their shipping team…good one guys.

• Jimbo

A tip when posting to Italy: Make sure you format the address corectly (eBay does not).

thats a damm good point. A useful site. If the ebay shipping team are reading this (Jonathan) – it might be good to format the addresses for each country in the format that their postal service can understand.

Rgds,
      John

• still trading

a tip when posting to Italy, always send signed for

• Jimbo

“most italian domestic/regular mail is left in an insecure central position for collection, easily available to all”

Are you sure?

• still trading

jimbo
      you stalking me are summat ;-)

• still trading

jimbo please read first comment on this thread.

countless packages left at the “hall”, street level [I live at 3rd floor], if they dont find me at home, so everyone from the street can pick-up them.

• Jimbo

I’m not stalking you :grin:. It’s just that Your post is incorrect “most italian etc..” That one Italian who lives in a block, has reported on a forum that his post is left in the hall, if he/she is out does not mean that “Most” Italian post is left in “insecure central position “.

Yes the Italian postal service is poor but there are things that can be done to reduce the risk of your package going missing (correctly addressing the package and, in my opinion, making the package look as professional/formal as possible). I post many packets to Italy each month and I haven’t had anything go missing in some time (touchwood). At one time I did use to have a fair number of packets to Italy go missing.

• still trading

if only it were as easy as addressing the package correctly many rural italian mail workers deliver by name rather than address

I agree. I once handed a package to my local postman. A few hours later someone knocked on my door telling me there was a package for me at the corner of the street. It was the very package I had just sent. It was an isolated incident and does not represent the majority of US postal workers.

I moved less than 12 hours later so I never had to deal with that level of service again.

massive new update on Turbolister just now, but nowhere can I see what has changed… does anyone have any clue? :shock:

Haven’t a clue, but mine has upgraded from the Beta version to the full program, so it might just be everything in Beta is now live for all users?

13mb file!!

• Bigpoppa

Is this ability of excluding countries going to be added to “My eBay”?

Bp, as I understand it, it’s going to be an extension of the current ship-to locations/block buyers from countries to which you don’t ship, rather than a new feature. Which probably means it’s less likely to break, so be thankful for small mercies ;-)

• Bigpoppa

Remind me, where do I block countries. I know it’s not in the buyer requirements section. Is it on the actual SIF?

• Christopher

Is this live anywhere yet? I’ve finally given up on Italy and its >50% missing items :(

BP, Christopher: I don’t think it’s live anywhere at the moment. *As I understand it* there will be two elements –
    1) block buyers from countries to which I don’t ship, which is in buyer requirements

2) specify countries to which you *will* ship in listings. I’m not seeing any new way to control things at the moment. Chris’s post is just saying that the back-end functionality is there, not that front-end programs like TL have implemented it yet.

But I may have missed something…

And if it’s any comfort to you re. Italy, over the last 6 months, I have 100% loss rate there. :-(

• Christopher

it’s live it’s live woohoo!

Edit Your Listing page >
      International postage section >
      Create Exclusion List (small blue link at bottom of int post section)
      Brings up this page:

“Exclude postage locations
      You can exclude entire regions or specific countries you do not wish to post by selecting one or multiple options.
      Select the regions or countries you don’t post to”

Pretty much every country included in drop down lists. I’m off to see if a selection is for all listings or just single listing-specific now.

• Christopher

Ok, the ones on listing pages are listing specific, there should be a site wide one (which can be applied to all current and future listings) detailed here:

(Location Buyer Requirements on the Site Preferences page) But it doesn’t seem to exist atm.

• Christopher

Now fully live.

Site Preferences > Postage and packaging preferences (hit show) > Exclude postage locations from your listings (hit edit). You can then select almost any country and apply to all future, or all future and current listings.

You probably also want to check Buyer requirements (hit show) > Block buyers who: (hit edit) > Buyers in countries to which I don’t ship (tick the box).

Tamebay eBooks