eBay UK celebrates birthday with 10-day FLD

By Chris Dawson August 19, 2009 - 7:53 pm

10eBay UK has just announced that it will celebrate its tenth birthday by offering private sellers ten whole days of free listings. From 22nd to 31st August, any item in any category with any start price listed by a private seller with a UK address can be listed with no insertion fees. Business sellers and PowerSellers are not eligible for the promotion. to the offer, so do read the small print before you break out those private IDs and spend the bank holiday clearing out the loft.

And another eBay UK promo announced today, listed by business sellers from 20th August to 31st December will receive 20% off the normal FVF rate.

• Richard

Time to build the ark, eBay will be drowning under the flood of even more crap.

You really couldn’t make this up, un flippin’ believable.

Richard, I have to confess the original title of the post was “eBay UK celebrates birthday with flood of tat” 😉

• Richard

Hello, my name is Noah, I’m about to flood eBay with the with a listing storm of epic proportions, the likes of which you’ve never seen before.

and nothing for the sellers who build up ebay.

Stefan

The people who built up eBay were the small private sellers, the business sellers came later so this is for those who helped to build up eBay.

I’ve got a load of personal stuff that hasn’t been worth listing, but by heck, it is now.

I’m going to be listing all weekend.

I also started like a private seller.
      We have all been private sellers at the beginning (just for definition).

It is okay that there is free listing for private seller but independent from being private or business there could be more offers to making it more attractive. I remember that there have been free listing days for all (in Germany) are they gone forever?

Stefan

• Yet more evidence to show just how badly eBay treats its business sellers.

Keep it up eBay, this is an even bigger nail in the eBay coffin.

Steve

• Jimbo

#5 Steve I don’t take it personally.

• Lino

@5 “Keep it up eBay, this is an even bigger nail in the eBay coffin”

Steve, you love talking about nails and coffin etc, but this is a 10 day promotion, surely it’s not that big a deal?

• board_surfer

its 10 days

if your business cannot survive the slump in sales for 10 days predicted by the the “doom and gloomers” perhaps you should take a close look at your business.

none of you take 2 weeks holiday i take it?

• Actually it’s 19 days if you think about it.

• And why should you be “forced” to take a holiday when eBay says so ?

• Flooding eBay with tat and crap

Mwuahahahaha ph33r me all, I shall flood ebay with 50 trillion listings, I have more tat than you can shake a pointy stick at mwuahahaha

Lucifer

Interesting IP address you have down there in Hell, Lucifer 😉

• Lino

@ 10. Didn’t realise eBay were forcing me to take a holiday. I love holidays, where are we going?

• Gerry007

Of what the hell, it;s a bit quite in our market (September always is)…………………….

SO LET’S HAVE A SALE to Celebrate.

We have to look a this as an oportunity…..cut & paste the logo above into your listings/shop & use it o sell.

I’ve always found CLD’s give us a boost in sales tbh.

It seems a high percentage of so called sellers prefer to spend 19hours a day moaning about CLD’s which leaves proffesional sellers like me plenty of time to come along and steal the treasure.

• board_surfer

Whirly, I have never even seen a seller complain about a slump caused by a CLD.

still it keeps the doom and gloomers happy

• board_surfer

#10 I didnt mention ebay forcing you on holiday

in 3 days I will go on holiday from ebay for 6 weeks, in that time I will sell nothing

and when I come back I will just pick up where I left off.

of course the fact that I dont sell tat helps a lot, now if you are a tat seller these CLDs may be a worry.

well i have a personal account and I’m starting already to get ready…..I mean come on people its free and ffs use some imagination for christ sake..everyone has a buying account and trust me nobody cares I have 300+listing on my personal account already and not one problem board_surfer wtf are you selling kidneys.. everything is tat on ebay one way or another…most of you grow up…btw who moved my cheese

• Bigpoppa

?…Did I miss something.

• Jimbo

Peter how much are you going to save in listing fees?

• Elvis

And where’s the discounts or feebies for ebays real longterm customers, us business sellers who have stuck with ebay for the majority of the last 10 years??

Elvis… not a lot more eBay can do for their business customers – most (at least fixed price) listings now cost just 20p, 5p or even 1p depending which level shop you have.

Compare this with a year back and for a BIN it was £1.90 for 10 days (£5.70 for 30 days). A couple of years back it was as much as £3.00 for 10 days (£9.00 for 30 days).

Quite frankly with my featured shop I’m saving a fortune and where I used to spend £3.00 every 10 days I’m now spending 5p every 30 days… just how much more can they cut fees? 😉

• Richard

Chris, I think you’re missing the point a little. Like you say insertion fees compared to what I was paying a year or two back are tiny. However, put that into context, the shear amount of inventory on the site is making it harder to sell. In the category I list in I’ve seen it grow five fold in less than a year and stuffed full of 99p junk listings that go round and round unsold. In that respect I’m getting less visability and sales for my insertion fees as well.

Personally I’d like to see insertion fees rise, which in turn would increase sell-through rate. But eBay just keep attracting more useless product to the site, this latest 10 day promo is just crazy. I have nothing against true private sellers, in a lot of respects their inventory is what keeps the site vibrant and interesting and that bit different, which in turn keeps people coming back to the site. I’ve bought all sorts of stuff I couldn’t find anywhere else overr the years, but there has to be the right balance and right now eBay doesn’t have that balance right.

You’re right there – and the only solution I’ve found as a seller is for multiple items getting recent sales and being at the top and for unique items auctions.

However as a buyer I’m finding more of the best deals and the most relevant products near the top of search. Even sorting by price doesn’t appear to get better deals a lot of the time.

What is harder is browsy categories like collectibles as there are just so many.

• Jimbo

Richard, you would like to see the insertion fee for fixed price listings to rise???

What Chris said really. 15p to list a £700.00 item for 90 days on what still is probably the biggest online market place in the UK. It’s a bargain.

Well I’m alright Jack! 😆

I’ve just had the email from eBay telling me to list for free on auctions ON A BUSINESS REGISTERED ACCOUNT 😆

• Richard

Jimbo, actually I’d like to see the whole fees system go back to higher rates for insertion fees and less for FVF’s, but that ain’t about to happen anytime soon. That method produces much higher sell-through rate and kept junk off the site. If it didn’t sell after two or three lists people got the message, either reduce the price or no one actually wants it.

Now it’s gone to the other extreme and the site is heaving under a mass of junk. As an example, take a look at how many spice girls or Madonna CDs are live on the site and how many are actually sold and for how much, over supply in the extreme and they’re far from isolated cases.

All that’s happening is a site flooded with junk and prices going ever lower, there’s only so far you can go with this way before meltdown.

I find it quite amusing that not so long ago eBay took shop inventory out of the main search as it was flooding the site and people couldn’t find things. How they’d never do free or near free insertion fees as this would flood the site, yet a year of so down the line that exactly what they’re doing.

As for Best Match being the magic bullet to sort through all this, not so, one of the worst thing eBay ever put on the site. IMHO are somewhat clueless about what they really want, assuming they actually know that themselves, because from where I’m sitting it seems to be one knee-jerk change and reaction after another stumbling about in the dark.

• Jimbo

For me the lower insertion fees are great. it allows me to list a wider range of quality stock and also to have some higher value items listed, which only sell infrequently.

I also think best match is an improvement on the old search. The only problem at the moment is that eBay seem to have increased the number of auctions in the ratio. Not sure if this is a knock on from the free listing cock up or intentional.

You are not alone Chris – I had the same email, see here on Q&A :