The yellow button returns to eBay My Messages

By Chris Dawson December 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm

yellowbuttonThe yellow button has returned to eBay My Messages to allow users to click and reply from within eBay rather than using their email reader such as Outlook.

This disappeared when eBay annonymised email addresses in member to member communications but was promised to be restored by the New Year. It’s still possible to simply click reply in your email reader to respond, but there is now an option to reply through eBay, which has the advantage that messages will be marked as replied to in your My Messages inbox.

Email addresses will still be concealed between eBay users until a transaction has taken place.

I wonder if this means they’ve fixed it so that messages actually get through?

That would be nice.

I guess eBay finally figured out that when we were complaining about the yellow button we were actually talking about that blackhole email address, not the actual button. I’m glad to see that it returned.

#3 The black hole email address was a problem that was fixed with the introduction of support for email clients in the last upgrade. The yellow button was always going to be restored in the next upgrade and works the same as it always did.

That’s great, it will save me several clicks …

• Mordillo

Thank god it’s finally returned, so many of my replies were ending up in spam inboxes resulting in the buyer thinking I was ignoring them and in return I got 2 neutrals and 1 negative for poor communication!

• Hereford United Fan

I am convinced half of my auto emails eg: Your item is dispatched emails never get through. Anyone else have this problem?

HUF, yes, constantly. Although based on this recent exchange, I do wonder if the problem is *entirely* eBay’s:

Buyer: Did you post my thing yet?
    Me: Yes, I posted it. Don’t forget everything’s a bit slower at Xmas.
    Buyer: I mailed you yesterday, did you post my thing yet?!
    Me: Yes, I replied to you yesterday too. Your thing is in the post.
    Buyer: Oh thanks. I hadn’t read my email before I mailed you again.

Duhhhhhhh……..

As I’ve never had a yellow button I didn’t know it was missing. Although it does explain what that email address was on about.

• Simon L

Messages are a nightmare at the moment, I am currently having ebay message flagged up as received in my email inbox, but no sign in my ebay messages, and vis versa.

I have already been marked down on my communication DSR because of it!

@ # 4

On .com I’m still seeing the UseTheYellowButton@ebay.com . But the yellow button is sometimes missing after I completed a sale with some users. Any idea on when is all this supposed to be rolled out here?

I’m glad they have brought the button back.

I get all the eBay mesages sent to my inbox (outlook) and so can briefly look over them and answer which ones I think to be urgent.

the less urgent ones can be with latter on in the day! 😆

• One of "us"

Very pleased to see this return. And we’ve also had negs from this for poor comms when we’ve replied to every email we received. I thought it was a great idea when direct anonymous reply was rolled out but I hadn’t taken into account the fact that nothing that ebay implements ever actually works the way it’s supposed to.

And HUF we believe automated emails are also not being delivered. They show in the email log in SMP but we’ve had countless ‘have you posted my stuff’ emails and lots and lots of them claim our messages haven’t reached them and aren’t in their My Messages either. And they can’t all be wrong.