eBay Elsewhere : Links for 16th November 2008

By Chris Dawson November 16, 2008 - 11:09 pm

A Denbighshire mother is changing her name to Pudsey Bear to raise money for Children in Need. 37 year old Ellen de Bont had put her name up for sale on eBay, saying that she would donate 80% of the money raised to charity. She made several suggestions of names she was willing to adopt, including Semi-Detached House, Piccadilly Circus and Scunthorpe Travelodge (Paris Hilton, eat your heart out).

A Guardian reader asked for advice on his plan to buy from charity shops and resell on eBay: a couple of the usual suspects replied 😉

There’s speculation about Meg Whitman’s next move now she won’t have a place in a McCain government: California here we come?

eBay Ink watches PayPal blog a bug:

the fact that the issue was proactively blogged about from within is fairly significant. … PayPal identified a problem, communicated it publicly, and got back to trying to fix it as quickly and as seamlessly as possible.

Richard’s right, but the fact that eBay’s official blog is trumpeting this single post as such a triumph only goes to show how far the company has still to go. One blog post doesn’t overcome the decade of non-communication and inertia that surrounds eBay bugs: it doesn’t alter the denial and disbelief that those reporting bugs have to deal with from eBay staff. Lets hope this is the beginning of a sea change.

Auctionbytes and “an eBay employee” (she means Griff) have a little disagreement over just how Google is using eBay data. What’s really interesting here, I think, is Griff referring to eBay listings syndicated via Googlebase as “listing on a competitive site”. As sellers, we tend to think of Googlebase as “advertising our eBay listings”; clearly, eBay think of it rather differently.

“And finally”, Dan has a very naughty suggestion on how to beat Best Match.

• northumbrian

its well seen Dan
    dont buy and sell for a living on ebay ,or he would not be stating the obvious in public

#1 Or he isn’t being naughty and so has no fear of being caught 😉

• Jimbo

I have my own tip to beat best match: Sell products that people want at the right price.

I’m sure there are plenty of people who have/are shill buying, in my opinion they are wasting there time. Get’s a few page views for the blog though 😀

• northumbrian

I was suggesting he is not thinking
    like a professional seller, whos income is dependant on ebay
    because if he did depend on ebay for a living , such thoughts are suicidal

“Griff referring to eBay listings syndicated via Googlebase as “listing on a competitive site”. ”

I’d sure like to hear him explain that…I could use a good laugh. Personally, I’m grateful for the Google Base program. Where else could I advertise over 200 of my website items free of charge. I guess that’s the part Griff considers “competitive”! 😀

Ebay better deal with it…they aren’t the only ship on the high seas anymore – they killed that all on their own – and that fact grows by the day.