Have your say with Skribit

By Chris Dawson May 12, 2008 - 8:42 pm

Our more scrolly readers may have noticed that for the last few days, there’s been a new widget in the sidebar. This box from start-up Skribit allows you to post questions or topics that you’d like to see covered round here. You can also vote up other people’s suggestions, so we get an idea of which suggestions are more popular.

So have at it. Normal rules around here apply: anything spammy or abusively sweary will be deleted.

And if you have more to say than just a question, pop over to the forum for help, a chat or a rant.

I clicked on that the other day thinking I could vote “yes” or “no” but got the impression by voting that I had just voted yes? :grin:

Whirly, you’re correct: you can only vote “yes”, so if you want to vote “no”, don’t vote. (This is how people like Boris get in… :twisted: )

• northumbrian

boris is wonderful

its about time London was recaptured and made part of the UK again

Going to London at half term, god help me(again)

I can imagine eBay implementing a similar voting system, it’s only once you’ve clicked it to vote you find out you’ve just signed up for an anchor shop for 18 months with no get out clause.

I think you missed a “w” out there, Whirly :lol:

:lol:

PMSL at the W

Think of it not as a vote for yes or no, but as a “me too” tick of interest for the topic :grin:

• Ed

I did exactly the same as whirley. :grin:

Most places where you can vote yes or no have a link called VOTE or similar so how are we to know different?

LOL I did the same thing as well. And tried to leave a suggestion but it wouldn’t let me :(

Kate, how do you mean, “it wouldn’t let you”? Can you be a bit more specific? What you need to do is click the question at the top and then type in the box that pops up. If you did something else, can you let me know what you did?

I’m tending to think that this is a bad idea from the comments on this thread – largely because people don’t like the way voting works and there is nothing I can do about that – so if anyone is actually in favour of it, I’d be glad to know about it.

I don’t know that it is a bad thing, just not what we might expect… so it has to be got used to like new eBay rules… :lol:

Sorry Sue what I meant is that I clicked the question and typed in the box, then messed about with it a bit to cut it down to the required 100 characters, and by that time the “submit” box that you are supposed to click was no longer highlighted and I couldn’t get it to highlight so that I could click it no matter what I did. It was just greyed out and unclickable. I even tried copying what I had written and starting again, pasting in into a new blank box but it didn’t like that either. Maybe that was part of the problem and I should have actually typed it all in all over again, I dunno. I just lost patience with it , sorry (I’ve never been all that patient when technology doesn’t work properly).

Thanks Kate – I’ll have a play and try and replicate that. I’ll also be passing on everyone’s comments to Skribit.

and another thing you can tell them about while you are at it…

so I want to see if there are any comments on one of the subjects. I click on the subject.

I get a page – I have to log in to view more details about that suggestion. No problem, I have registered. I click on log in …I log in … I get a page asking me for details to Add my Blog.

I don’t want to add my blog. I want to see all about postage and packaging.

I want to go back to that page…. nowhere is there a link to that page. I look at the top menu, nowhere can I get to Tambay suggestions.

So I have to close Skribit, come back here, click on the suggestion again, and THEN I can see that there are NO COMMENTS!!!

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

:lol: Life’s to short Lynne, just ignore Biddy’s silly voting tool.

But sometimes Whirly, I just want to avoid work for a bit…. :lol: anything will do then, and I DO like it work….

The widget also seems to remove the focus from the main body of the page.

When using the laptop I tend to use the keyboard to scroll around webpages, when Skribit has loaded I need to click on the main page to be able to do this (only a tad annoying, but you did say you want opinions :razz: )