Is the time now ripe for videos in ecommerce?
For nearly ten years, it’s seemed like we were on the cusp of videos being a critical component of ecommerce listings. But it’s fair to say that the brave new world has never truly emerged although it’s true that you do see videos on ecommerce sites more and more.
A report from Invodo, however, makes a compelling case for the benefits of using video on ecommerce sites. There’s an ebook report to download but I’ve picked out a few choice cuts that I thought were interesting.
– 96% of shoppers find videos helpful when making purchase decisions online.
– Video viewers on ecommerce sites are 1.6x more likely to buy than non-viewers.
– According to Cisco, video will represent 79% of global web traffic by 2018.
– What happens in just one minute? 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube, and 323 days of video are viewed on Facebook.
– Mobile video traffic will grow 14x by 2018. And smartphones and tablets already account for over a quarter of all online video viewing!
What are your experiences of using video in ecommerce listings as either a seller or a buyer?